E200 Issues - Discussion

Guest Will

Hello all, i've condensed and compiled a list of the 'issues' with this phone, and made a locked sticky for ease! please use this thread to add more issues as you find them.

Will

Issues: *stuff that does not work correctly/at all

Wishes: *stuff we wish they would do.

Errors: *stuff that is just plain wrong.

Confirmation: *stuff i cannot find more info on!

Guest mossywell

Wishes:

Ability to switch off the alarm completely once it's gone off (i.e. not play again tomorrow) rather than simply stop it for this instance.

Sorry about the poor description!

EDIT- Will - Added.

Guest alanclose

Its been commented on before - I think a few people have had problems with it.

Its a bug that only happens now and again, I have only had it twice since i got my e200. If you get a list of messages in and mark one for download it will actually download the body of another message.

It means when you check your mail - delete any spam and mark what you want to download it may have actually linked one of the spam messages to the header of the e-mail you want - and because you have checked your e-mail again it will have deleted the acutal message you want from your e-mail sever.

hope that makes sense

EDIT - Will - Added

Guest leo-balou

Will - you forgot one of the most important issues - the BATTERY. :!:

I charge all day long, leave work by 5pm, get home etc etc - by the time I get back to work in the morning my phone is DEAD!!! :x

OK - I use bluetooth ON all the time (car kit) - but this is just NO GOOD!! This is my main business phone - either they sort the battery out or they give me the worlds longest extention cord!!! :wink:

Good work compiling wishes and errors will!!

Here comes a couple of more wishes...

1. Please add more T9 languages! I.e swedish on my part and I think some other languages were requested too.

There are a lot of multiethnic people out there - want them to use the phone? Then support their languages. (!)

2. When selecting special characters (when pressing and holding the # key on the E200 keypad) how about putting the most frequent used characters in top of the list? Would be VERY useful. (or at least put it as an option in the settings)

3. Let T9 suggest the most used word (by the user) as the first option when doing T9! Also make it continously learn/remember this.

4. How about giving the MSN messenger the same emoticons as in the PC version?

5. (this is something M$oft might not like - although they should) How about giving MSN messenger ICQ support?

Please put these on the list too Will! :lol:

EDIT - Will - Added

(the icq thing, really is a 3rd party app job, not core OS/phone issue)

// O.

Guest mossywell

Not sure if this is a fix or wishlist:

It would be nice if, like the ringtones, the alarm could also be a WMA file. (Currently only WAV files can be selected.)

EDIT-Will-Added

Just my opinions on these ones...

Instead of:

Ringtones from the SD card

I would say:

Ability to have different ringtones for each contact on the SD card, and all the numbers tied to that contact will use their ringtone (not just their defaulted one).

In addition to this:

Ability to switch off the alarm completely once it's gone off

I would add:

Ability to switch off the alarm after you hit snooze. For example, I hit snooze, then decide to get up and get in the shower and now my alarm just went off again while I'm in the shower!

In addition to the items on T9, I would add:

Ability to cycle through the words after you select and pass them in T9.

The Motorola T720 phone sucks overal, BUT the T9 on it is really good. MS should look at how the T9 worked on this one.... You can type words without even looking at the screen if you want to type fast and look at the keys while you type (if you don't have the keys memorized such as myself)..... and then if an incorrect word was displayed you can just go up to that word and easily change it by cycling through all the options. With the MS Smartphone it's a little different because once you bypass the word and accept it you can't go back and cycle through all options you have to usually start the word from scratch or change it to letter mode instead of T9 and change half the word. That's pretty annoying...

EDIT - Will - Added

I also have a question on this thread.... I know there were quite a few things in the wishlist area of the SPV/E100/Smartphone 2002. I know there are quite a few things in their that I would have liked to see in WM2003, but I don't know if they were incorporated or not since I don't have a WM2003 device.

Should we post items in this thread if we aren't sure they are fixed, request someone that has a device test it, post the results, and if it's not fixed add it to this E200/WM2003 wishlist???? If not, I think it would be cool if some people took the time to look through all the wish list items and mention all the items that were addressed and all those that weren't....

If there are volunteers to do the testing in the E200 and supply the results, I will volunteer to compile a list of all wish list items that were previously requested in Smartphone 2002.

Thank you yoos, if you compile up the list, I'll personally test em out.

Everyone, I'm away for a day! i'll try to condense this list again on saturday. so don't be worried if it stays a little static till then.

Don't know if this is a bug or not.

My email seems to download but only appears in my inbox for about 2 seconds then dissappears?

It does not seem to be stored in any folder at all. Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT - Will - Any confirmation or more information?

EDIT - Seems to be working fine now, don't know what was wrong :?

Guest mossywell

yoos,

I would say:  

Ability to have different ringtones for each contact on the SD card, and all the numbers tied to that contact will use their ringtone (not just their defaulted one).

My E200 already plays the customised ringtone for all numbers including the non-default ones - I just tested it. (FWIW, the ringtone is stored on the phone, not the SD card.)

I have spotted an email bug similar to (but not the same as ) the ones above. When I have an email in my inbox, if I poll for other email, when I recieve them, the 1 I had in the inbox disappears!

EDIT - Will - Added

Guest shadamehr

Another new one for you - the Automatic Profile mode.

Having just learnt from this great site what it actually is (it uses your Claendar, and any meetings you enter in it, to automatically switch the Profile of your phone from Normal, to Meetting, as and when appropriate), I have found some errors with it.

Yesterday, which was a busy day for me, I found the function did not work properly.

As it's the run up to Christmas, I had a number of proper meetings yesterday, interspersed with social events.

The proper meetings were allocated a Status of BUSY, in the Calendar, whereas the 'social' events were set as FREE or Out of Office.

I found, alas, that as these meetings ran from one to the next, the phone remained in Meeting mode all day. The fact that some of these were FREE or OUT OF OFFICE, made no difference.

I suspect, from having had this work ok the day before on appointments sepearated by a free period, that the problem is when one meeting runs straight onto another without free time in between.

It seems the phone does not spot the change in appointment status.

So this is clearly ANOTHER ERROR with the phone.

The Automatic Profile mode does not seem to work for meetings set with a status of FREE (and thus should switch to NORMAL profile), if you have one meeting after another without any gap in between.

Can this be added to the list for inclusion for resolving with the next update please?

EDIT - Will - Added

error: sound levels for ring tone & alerts drop after using roll-up keyboard

error?: can't insert the number "0" when writing SMS with T9 (possibly newbie issue :?: )

Guest shadamehr

Adding to my last post, after further tests...

"Please fix the Automatic Profiles bug..."

As it now seems, having just ONE single appointment listed for today, that is definately set as FREE, that the phone has a bug, becuase it has once AGAIN switched to Meeting Profile weh in automatic mode, even though this is a FREE status appointment, and not busy!

So add this as an error/bug please!

The automatic profile screen states, when you try to edit it:

"The Automatic profile switches between the Normal profile and the Meeting profile when the calendar indicates that the current time is busy."

Except it DOESN'T... as it is now switching to Meeting on my phone when it comes across an appointment that is set as Free, Tentative, or Out of Office.

And this just ONE day after I found out what it was for and thought "Wow, what a handy feature."

Yeah right. If it BLOODY WORKED.

So please add this bug.

Is anyone else seeing this too folks?

EDIT - Will - Added, basically auto mode is not working!

Guest shadamehr
error: sound levels for ring tone & alerts drop after using roll-up keyboard

error?: can't insert the number "0" when writing SMS with T9 (possibly newbie issue :?: )

Oh yes you can, but again, perhaps my OWN newbie issue, but doing it is the most god awful ridiculous way I have ever heard of.

On a Nokia, simply HOLDING the numeric button you want, will enter the NUMBER on that key (this is not changing modes then typing - I mean simply holding the button corresponding to the number itself).

On the E200, you can achieve the same thing, but by pressing the letter, then repeatedly pressing the 'matches' key (the 0), until it changes to the number on that key.

Thereby hangs the bloddy stupid issue though. You CAN'T do this with the 0 key, as it is the button used for 'matches'.

As best I can tell, the only wa to get a zero, ir to press and HOLD t9 button until it switches to numeric mode, enter the zero, then press and hold t9 to go to multi-tap mode, then press and hold it again.

And absolutely riciculous and slow and laborious process indeed just to get a single 0 character (zero).

So someone please tell me that I'm missing something, otherwise this is just another aspect whereby the E200 is absolutely sh*te compared to other phones....

Guest shadamehr
error: sound levels for ring tone & alerts drop after using roll-up keyboard...

A similar issue - if you use the remote 'control' program thingy from Microsoft, the one that shows your phone screen on the PC and lets you control it over active sync, it does exactly the same too, as I found when I added some wav ringtones, thought they were far too quiet (when it had cuased the sound level to artificially drop), so tweaked the volume in sound recorder on the PC, re-saved and added to the phone, only to find after next re-boot of the phone that the sound level had returned to normal and they were far too loud by then!

Edit - Will - Added

Dunno if anyone else has experinced this but have a similiar problem with my ringtones assigned to people that I get with the T9.

After having put ringtones to various different people, I've found that after a power off and on again all the ringtone associations have disappeared. Not usually a problem for me as the phone is rarely without power so rare it has to be switched off, only reason recently that I had to do it was getting on the plane (re: pagemakers discovery about it not working properly didn't want to take the chance travelling to the US).

EDIT - Will - Anyone able to confirm this

I want my missing 176 pixels! The bottom row is white and unused! it should say 176*219!

Update: My white row of pixels at the bottom of the screen went black on the left and right blending to black in the middle but didn't survive a soft reset, wierd huh?!

EDIT - Will - ADDED