Want to double your e200 battery life for free?

Guest b0x

Guest explosive

i dont want to make this sound more messy....but ive read athread on the 'main' section....a guy was saying that by inserting a 128 MB SD card to his SPV(i dont now if its the original, E100, or E200) he had not charged his phone for 3 days and still had 3 bars left....i think thats really amazing

secondly, after i read this thread saying that by removing the SD card and/or the dummy card we will get a longer battery life, i removed my dummy from my E200....and gues what? ive charged my phone last night(23.00 GMT + 1) about2,5 hours and it was full 4 bars. and now(13.00 GMT+1) there is only 2 bars left..:) what confuses me is that i did not use the phone at all(no calls, no browsing, no bluetooth) during that time....and the fact is that with the dummy in(before i removed it), normally, if i charged the phone last night, by tommorow afternoon it will still have 1 bar left (with some 'light usage' of the phone like calling and sms)

can anybody explain this....:D

Guest The PocketTV Team

I'm not really surprised about the SD card issue on the e200.

I noticed something similar on the Red-e development Smartphone: When the SD card is in, the battery seems to drain faster.

A was even under the impression it was also true when the phone was OFF (i.e. battery would drain if the SD Card is in the device, even when turned OFF).

Of course, those are just impressions, I did not do any measurement. Maybe someone else did ?

Guest Sofarocker

I tested my SPV E200 with the SD-Card Dummy and i reached a Std.By Time of 60 hours including, phoning, sms & usuals...

definitely it's not a mecanical problem

Apparently there are single and multi cell sdcards available.. the multicells seem to be the issue with the e200 in compatibity terms, but no idea about power drain.

Will

After reading this thread I understand that most of you guys have much better battery life with the dummy off. Have you tried with the dummy on?

Today I tested my Qtek 8080 without the dummy and the battery life is much better...I will also test with the dummy on...

Has anybody found a reg tweak to disable the SD Cardbus?

Guest MrMagoo

I am in the process of testing a little app which shows that current drain on the battery and average current over the period of testing.

Initial findings are for an E200 on 85% charge using bluetooth (ActiveSync connected and in use debugging the app):

without an empty SD slot I get an average drain of around 40mA/sec.

with an 128MB SD card I get an average drain of around 58mA/sec.

I haven't tested it without bluetooth enabled yet...and I haven't produced any graphs of usage yet...but when I do I will post the results...

Guest The PocketTV Team
Yeah but the results are extraordinary. Withouth the dummy I had 50% battery left after 18 hours of usage (using the phone normally)

What's extraordinary there ? My 5-year old Nokia lasts for 3 days of normal usage :)

What's extraordinary there ? My 5-year old Nokia lasts for 3 days of normal usage :)

It's an SPV :D

My dummy doesnt drain the battery and i found at least a 100% improvement so to answer your question, yes, it doubles my battery life not havng a real SD card in there.

Merry Christmas

jon

Guest The PocketTV Team

> without an empty SD slot I get an average drain of around 40mA/sec.

> with an 128MB SD card I get an average drain of around 58mA/sec.

Strange that it doubles your battery life. I could understand that if the average drain was cut in half... not the case, apparently.

Maybe the measurements are incorrect, or maybe there's something else at play.

In my purely non scientific tests i found 24 hours standby with my sd card in (no usage) and around 52 hours standby with the dummy in (slight usage).

I must have a really naff SD card

jon

Guest VashTheStampede

Just a thought....

having not actually got my SPV yet, i dont know how the registry editer works.....if it is the same as the windows regestry, which i suspect it is...

why not just keep turning the sd thing on and off in the registry, every time u use th phone?

you could save the regedit , and the reg key file in the ispm bit of the phone, and put it on the start menu, or on a speed dial,

i dont know wether this'd work, i cant test it, but its just an idea

i'm sure you have all seen *.REG entries on ur PC's??....

Guest aristoBrat

FWIW:

SPV e100 with a dummy card in it:

Took it off the charger 8PM Tuesday, ... so that's 65 hours (~30 minutes of talk, ~20 minutes of GPRS) with 26% battery life still left.

With the SD card in, I can barely make 24 hours.

Has anyone seen a Battery Monitor for the Smartphone that logs the battery level hourly to a file?

Guest MrMagoo
FWIW: 

SPV e100 with a dummy card in it: 

Took it off the charger 8PM Tuesday, ... so that's 65 hours (~30 minutes of talk, ~20 minutes of GPRS) with 26% battery life still left.

With the SD card in, I can barely make 24 hours.

Has anyone seen a Battery Monitor for the Smartphone that logs the battery level hourly to a file?

I am currently working on a battery monitor which will not only log the results to a file, but also include a home screen plugin which will allow you to monitor the various battery counters, turn bluetooth on and off , and if I can find a way (or someone else can) turn off the SD card - but this last one may not happen!

Guest aristoBrat
I am currently working on a battery monitor which will not only log the results to a file, but also include a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>home screen http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plugin which will allow you to monitor the various battery counters, turn bluetooth on and off , and if I can find a way (or someone else can) turn off the SD card - but this last one may not happen!

Swweeeeeeeeeettt! If you need any beta testers, I'll definately do it!!! :)

Guest ka_boum

If this turn out to be true, I think this is the best SPV news for a very long time. I love the SPVs, but was allways angered at the short battery life. This would make it the best mobile phone !!!

:D :) :lol:

Guest wocket

This is great news. I forgot to bring my cradle to work today so i've just removed my SD card. So it will be intresting to see what happens.

Any news of the Tweak yet?

Guest explosive

i dont know if my theory is true....but i think i'd share it with you mods..

first time i got my e200, with normal usage(without bluetooth, only calling and sms)...my phone(with dummy SD card in) will last for about 30-35 hours(it'll give me the alert of low battery at this stage)...after i read some thread saying by removing SD card or the dummy we can get better battery life, i removed my dummy from the phone...and guess what...my phone last only about 24 hours. i was very surprised....and then i put the dummy card back in...and it still last for about 24 hours....after a few times inserting and pulling out the dummy, i finally got a 30-35 hours battery life without the dummy...so i was very confused..

then i tried to remember what else did i do that can reduce my battery life...the only thing i could remember was that it took me sometimes to successfuly insert the dummy back in(i did not push it hard enough to insert it in)...so i start to make a theory....maybe the system works like a digital circuit flip-flop which its current state is dependent to its previous state...this means that if the initial state of the phone is with the dummy/SD card in, no matter what, if a something is "trigered", the next state will be without dummy/SD card.

so i tried to "fool" the phone...by pushing the dummy back in BUT not letting it 100% in..just push it until the light on the display turns on(i think at this stage something is trigered. and because its previous state is without dummy/SD card in, after this trigering the phone will think that now the dummy/SD card is in, even if its not phisically inserted)..and since actually the dummy/SD card is not yet inserted, i push it one more time, and this time to properly insert it 100%(according to my theory, the phone will now think that the dummy/SD card is pulled out simply because its previous state was with the dummy/SD card inserted). and after that i got the 30-35 hours battery life back WITH the dummy in.

i know it sounds crazy, and i am really not sure that this is true....but it works for me(if the increament of battery life was not caused by something else)...

P.S: pls correct me if im wrong, cos i am indeed a newbie in smartphone stuffs..:)

Guest SPVGixer

FWIW, my e100 is going on 23 hours with no SD card in the slot. Battery is at 73%. Made about 15 minutes of calls today, played around with ringtones for 10 minutes, and used GPRS for another 10 minutes.

Same here, this makes a huge difference to my spv - 4 battery bars after 9 hours is unheard of. Thanx :)

Guest tricky

been a member here for a while but just not been popping in, mr orange and all his merry men are blissfully unaware about battery issues, i am on my 3rd e200 because of stupid battery performance, one of them needed charging after 12 hours whilst the current e200 i have last almost 30. i have taken the sd card i am using out (nokia 64mb) and low and behold i have not charged it for 2 days and still have 2 bars! its like a proper phone now! i have a nokia 9210 which with haevy usage would last 7 days on one charge. this has to be a phone issue. i know for my old spv there was a larger battery, is there a larger battery available for the e200.....something that would not start a car would be good but gives 3-4 days charge with the sd card inserted?