Confirmation that the 900band use is restored with Moto ROM?

Guest PDAZealot

Guest PDAZealot

A few people over in the Firmware forum at mpx200.org have reported that it does restore the 900 band functionality[at least one user in Ireland]. However, we want to confirm that this is a flashed ATTws US branded unit, not an Orange branded one that already has a triband capability. Anyone tried this, then used in a 900 only area? Also, it is rumored to reduce the 1900 band quality. Has anyone seen this yet? I would flash back to the generic Motorola ROM in a heartbeat if it didn't mess up the 1900 band strength. Daring appliers of generic ROM, what do you say to this?

Guest guybrush

To our friends overseas:

The hundred thousand dollar question:

If you take a US market Mpx200 phone (ATT) and flash with factory firmware, will it restore the 900 band – functional in hardware and not only in software - with no loss in quality of 1900 band?

If you tested this, then please post your results!!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I do have the ATT Mpx200. Flashing the phone with the Moto ROM does restore the 900Mhz band. I have tested this with a SIM card in Taiwan. The 1900 band does not seem to be affected at all.

Guest grossygrossy
Also, it is rumored to reduce the 1900 band quality. Has anyone seen this yet? I would flash back to the generic Motorola ROM in a heartbeat if it didn't mess up the 1900 band strength. Daring appliers of generic ROM, what do you say to this?

Somebody please confirm :!:

I am hopeful that flashing to Moto will increase battery life and better the signal strength :roll:

Guest guybrush

If I understand you both correctly, you took an ATT phone, flashed it with the generic ROM, took the phone to (Taiwan or Ireland), and used it on a 900 tower?

If this is what happened, and the phone worked, then how did you confirm that you were using a 900 band tower and not a 1900 or 1800 tower?

My MPX200 has the ATT printed on the handset under the keys, I've flashed it with the generic rom.

900Mhz is enabled and I confirmed it working as the identifer for the 900Mhz band is different from the identifer of the 1800Mhz band. This is pretty useful too, as I can easily see when I switch from 900 to 1800.

Most of the time in Ireland I am on the 1800Mhz band anyway, so it's really only noticible in urban areas.

If you do flash you phone, be careful as you will need to make some modifications in order to have the home screens display properly. This is down to the MMS client which appears after flashing.

Good luck,

Howard

Guest PDAZealot

I'm still amazed that the 900 band is really working. Do you get good signal quality? US Sources from ATT have stated that the phone hardware was changed so the 1900 band would be improved by almost killing the 900 signal. Do you see a weak 900 signal compared to other phones running on 900mhz? Or is the ATT rep full of crap? Please advise, as lots of us would flash to the Generic Moto rom is it does not have problems with the 900mhz band quality. :-)

Well I guess that signal strength is proportional to your location to a cell tower at any point in time. I sometimes suffer signal loss when I am in isolated areas, but that's not just the moto phone it's any phone!

Most of the time my strength meter is full and I have no problems with the bands.

I've been thinking about the hardware modification that some people say occurred to make the phone better at other bands in the US. From a production facility point of view, that would be bad business. Consider the same phone, is also available in the UK - under Orange. Different hardare for different carriers is silly. Also, consider that ATT don't manufacter the phone, they are just carriers. I highly doubt that a hardware manufacturer would modify hardware for just one carrier.

The phones are identical in every way bar the customisation. Any changes that ATT made to the ROM are removed with the Generic ROM. The Generic rom applied to an Orange branded motorola would give the exact same phone as the ATT Generic version.

So, here I am, happily using 900/1800Mhz bands on my MPX200 in Ireland. No problems, no complaints.

Cheers

• 9 months later...
Guest awarner [MVP]

Welcome to the site ^_^

This has been cleared a long time ago, the 900 band is a hardware

configuration and no ammount of flashing of the rom will change this.

Hmm... this is interesting. But as awarner said, this is a hardware problem. Flashing your ROM will not change that hardware. ATT came out with dual band phones, and not tri band.

The only logical explanation to this is that the user in ireland acquired one of the tri-band ATT phones, but the ROM provided by ATT only supported dual band. Hence, when he flashed the ROM, it became tri-band again.

Guest phonesmarts

I don't get it though...I thought that the phone was tri-band due to the numbers in the Settings/Phone Settings. I seem to have 3 bands; 900, 1800, and 1900. But the option shows 900 / 1800. Is this wrong? Or it is the fact that it was WM2003 rom that set the text to show the band?

I don't get it though...I thought that the phone was tri-band due to the numbers in the Settings/Phone Settings.  I seem to have 3 bands; 900, 1800, and 1900.  But the option shows 900 / 1800.  Is this wrong?  Or it is the fact that it was WM2003 rom that set the text to show the band?

it does'nt matter if WM2003 only shows two bands only, as long as your phone is tri-band your phone will function as tri-band. but if your phone is dual band only, it will stay that way even if you flash your phone a thounsand times with different roms. ^_^