Mr O CAN YOU PLEASE TELL US ??

Guest darkside

Guest darkside

Right as no one as asked him directly I will and I hope I get some kind of a decent answer. ( not his normal replies like errrrrrr hmmmmmmmm dont know, could be) I can get those answers from OCS.

Where is the Backup upadate promised by O on the 1.6.1.02 new update "QUOTE"

PLEASE NOTE: Performing this update will erase all of your personal data from your SPV. Orange has developed a Backup and Restore tool that will allow you to protect your data and ensure that it is still accessible on your SPV following the update.

Unfortunately, this tool will not be available from this site until the week commencing 15 December 2003. Orange recommends that you do not perform the update until this time, unless you are prepared to lose the personal data and settings you currently store on your SPV.

:evil: :evil: :evil: As I am still waiting for this update like many others on this forum and on Oranges advice have not yet installed the 1.6.1.02 upatde.

Yours comments please . :roll: :roll: :shock:

Mr O replied to a private message I sent him today. He says that there was a problem with the Backup and Restore tool and that he is waiting to hear about the next release candidate.

Sadly he did not address my questions about the lack of information and the outdated website, but hey, he replied to my PM so I should be grateful for something.

I hope he doesn't mind me passing on this little nugget of information :wink:

Solo

Guest darkside

ok thats fair enough solo he answered you? But why dont he tell the members of this forum whats happening regarding the backup update there are still a lot of members on here that has,nt done the 1.6.1.02 update because they were advised by the update site to wait for the backup upadate. SO COME ON Mr O Inform the members of the forum whats happening reagarding Orange Backup update not let them keep asking the same questions time after time. Just come clean and say what a right cock-up Orange as made again regarding the update, because i,m 1 very angry orange ex-customer :evil: :evil: :evil: waiting to update his SPV ready to sell it on and purchase a phone that can do the job that Oranges SPV says it can ? but it can,t.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Woah - don't hold your breath there fella! Just remember, this is a 21st century communications company we're talking about here!! :)

Give Mr. Orange a break - its only been 2 weeks without any word! :D

Guest Matt Kirby
because i,m 1 very angry orange ex-customer  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: waiting to update his SPV ready to sell it on and purchase a phone that can do the job that Oranges SPV says it can ?  but it can,t. 

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Slightly OT, but I have two questions: If you are an ex-Orange customer, and you are about to sell your SPV onto someone else, why do you need to bother updating (you could let the new owner do that) and secondly why do you need the backup and restore tool to keep your personal information on a handset that you will no longer use?

Guest darkside

that right why do I need to update I tell you why because then at least I can sell my SPV knowing it as the latest updates that answers your questions in a simple answer ( at least the person will have a decent working phone when they purchase it not like how Orange sold me it half a phone doing half the jobs it,s suppose 2 ) since when has your name been Mr O. mate.

Guest Matt Kirby
that right why do I need to update I tell you why because then at least I can sell my SPV knowing it as the latest updates that answers your questions in a simple answer ( at least the person will have a decent working phone when they purchase it not like how Orange sold me it half a phone doing half the jobs it,s suppose 2 )
So do the update and then sell the phone - you won't need to back-up and restore. After the update you will have a handset with the latest OS that will be in an "out of the box" state- saving you having to do a hard-reset to remove all of your personal info on the phone.

Also it's an update free to all - so it doesn't add anything to the resale price.

Don't get me wrong - I wish that the backup and restore tool was availible now, but it isn't and I don't see how it's an issue for you if you are selling the phone.

since when has your name been Mr O. mate.

You're right, my name's not Mr O, I did say that the questions were slightly off topic!

Anyway, I'll leave this thread to return back on topic.

i sold my spvs ages back when the fourm was in it young days and every person who inquired at the phone asked had i upadte the software, i had decerted the phone and un-locked it but still had huge problems getting rid of it, my advice is do the update thats available at the moment stick a 128mb sd card in it and flog it asp. because if you wait for Orange and this backup update then you,ll be waiting a long long time.

out of the darkness we came only to find more fool than when we fisrt enter

Guest midnight

hehehe, mattkirby has a good point, if you are selling your phone, why do you need the backup/restore tool? you can backup, sure, but what are you going to restore it to? a Nokia? that wont work, it will only restore to an SPV/E100 :)

Guest Mr Orange

I managed to get a copy of the Backup/Restore tool lastnight, as soon as I can get confirmation that it works as it says on the Tin I want to release it to Modaco ASAP.

I can't take the decision to release it here on my own (though I would like to) and as most people are now on holiday it's a little hard to track people down. As soon as I get a 'go' I shall ask Paul to post it here.

Guest darkside

Yeah well at least you could have let the members know on the forum that O had a problem with the backup tool, and they could have allowed you to tell the modaco members of the problem. But as always Oranges SPV customers (which I'm glad I'm not any longer) are the last to be told.

:twisted: wont be holding my breath for the backup update. I'll take the advice of the members do the 1.6.1.02 update and get rid of the phone and get a phone that can do the job it's purchased for, lets be fair here how many of us have been in a phone call and the phone decides to shut itself off or drop the connection, or start a program and the phone locks up. it's cant do either of the jobs it was designed to do without it being full of bugs and poor support. ANY 1 INTERESTED IN BUYING A SPV CHEAP LET ME KNOW. :x

Guest awarner [MVP]
lets be fair here how many of us have been in a phone call and the phone decides to shut itself off or drop the connection, or start a program and the phone locks up.

Just you I guess, first part don't let the battery get too low, second one

only install finished apps, (Only beta apps may lock up the phone)

Guest midnight
lets be fair here how many of us have been in a phone call and the phone decides to shut itself off or drop the connection, or start a program and the phone locks up.

hmmm, let me see, never and errr, never (i'm carefull what apps i launch) :)

Guest darkside

:Quote: anyways, i thought you had supposedly sold your phone already darkside (pipin)

Dont know no pipin midnight :?: and yes I am still selling my phone not have sold it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thornton

On Christmas Eve, almost a fortnight ago, Mr Orange said this:

I managed to get a copy of the Backup/Restore tool lastnight, as soon as I can get confirmation that it works as it says on the Tin I want to release it to MoDaCo ASAP.  

I can't take the decision to release it here on my own (though I would like to) and as most people are now on holiday it's a little hard to track people down. As soon as I get a 'go' I shall ask Paul to post it here.

Some of us are still waiting to get this tool before doing the 1.6.1 update. There have been no posts from Mr O since Christmas Eve at all. Meanwhile, the update page at the Orange website is still promising the backup tool for the week commencing 15 December 2003.

I am beginning to find it a little puzzling as to how it could possibly take this long for Mr O to "I get a 'go' " to release the tool to those of us who have been waiting patiently for such an extended period.

What is going on?

Yes it has been almost a fortnight since his last post, but don't you think he may have been doing other things during that time? Such as Christmas and New Year?

Most companies only went back to work yesterday, so really we've only been waiting one working day! (since his last post)

Guest siu99spj

Yeah but even so, someone would have surely been able to correct the webpage since December 15th? Even after taking out the time I had for holidays (All two weeks of it :mrgreen:) you still have had nearly 8 days to fix it. It can't be that difficult to change week commencing December 15th to early in the new year.

But whatever the case, I'm still annoyed I can't upgrade my phone yet!

Guest aristoBrat

What could he add to this thread?

Would an official post from him saying "we're having problems" really change anything?

I'm sure Orange will put the utility up when it has passed testing.

Guest drblow

you see, thats the problem. what mr. orange could add to this thread is simply communication. instead of it being a rant about another letdown from orange, it could be a simple answer to a simple question. why make excuses? the bloke claimed to be here to improve communication with orange, but instead he makes it worse by continually ignoring issues. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest aristoBrat

IMO, the letdown was that Orange posted information (and a date) about a utility that wasn't ready. That's a huge mistake.

I'm not sure what communication from Mr. O would do to make this situation any better.

Guest mantrac

This is exactly why I won't be getting an E200 or any other Microsoft/Orange bastardised frankenstein of a phone...

After my nightmare experiences with the SPV I have come to realise that these companies are not ready to roll out a decent smartphone or support it to a satisfactory level...

The very fact that we are here having a discussion about lack of support, is a testimony to this!