If you own the Samsung i600...

Guest jeffbcell

Guest jeffbcell

I think it would be nice to know how many of you out there are actually using the i600. If you would, please leave a reply to this post topic so we can get a bit of a headcount. You don't need to say much. Just something like I've got one or I love my i600. Just something so we can all know who each other is. If you want to say more, such as what accessories you have or where you are located or whether your i600 is mostly for personal or for business use, that would be nice.

Thanks!

As for me, I love my i600. The only accessories I have, other than what came with the phone, is a 256MB SD card and the vinyl protective skins that are sold on eBay. I would like to get a keyboard, but I think $69 is a bit much for something I would probably not use very much. I have added a number of apps. My top 5 favs are PocketTV, PocketMusic, ConnectedBits Weather, AgileMessenger (very cool if you use AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and/or ICQ), and SPVMan (PacMan for those that didn't know). I am located in Maryland (right near the Delaware/Maryland line). I would say that my phine usage is split 50/50 between personal and business. Whenever I make a sale on my website (www.GreatBigStuff.com), my shopping cart sends me an SMS to alert me of the sale. The sound I have on my phone that is associated with SMS messages is a kaching cash register sound. :) I guess that enough bio for the moment. Probably than most of you might even have cared to know.

I now hope that you other i600 owners will chime in with a post.

Have a great day!

Guest mark_k

I have the i600 and love it.

I have just installed PocketTV and created a DVD for Minority Report. Great Soft Ware.

I will be getting a 250 MB SD card.

I have AgileMessenger.

I have eWallet.

I have Photo Viewer

I have regedit

Guest laubin

I don't own one yet, but as soon as my tax refund comes in I will be buying it.

I have a Dell Axim X5 and an LG VX4400 and I will be so glad to replace two units with the one.

I have already downloaded trial, free and the messanger update sofware programs.

I sure hope that 2003 comes out soon.

I went to the Verizon Wireless store today after work and they only have one. It is for display and was in the back room. I did get to hold it and play with it. It had the 2002 version OS.

Larry Aubin

Milford, MA USA

Guest Brooktone

I have one also and love the abilty to sync with MS Outlook and the ability to browse the web. I'm a little bit unhappy that I'm not able to access my aol email though. Also due to Internet Explorer being an older version, I'm not able to view some websites. It is nice to be able to have a phone / pda / laptop rolled into one.

Guest GammaRay

I have one and use it primarily for business. I was so ticked off about the caller ID that I was ready to take it back, but I convinced Verizon to give me a major credit on my service to offset my taking risk that the problem might never be fixed. I have the full version of Photo Contacts 2.0 and it does NOT fix caller ID for those with large contact databases, period.

With over 800 contacts, I LOVE the quick contacts lookup function and enjoy the ConnectedBits Weather program and others, such as PocketTV.

Mostly I use it for business. I love the device, but I wouldn't have kept it if not for getting such a big discount. $500 is way to much for a phone with such a basic bug as Caller ID.

And, the leather holster that comes with the phone really SUCKS. My phone has come out of it twice in the past two days. I'm still waiting for a plastic holster. This can't be that tough to design.

Guest paulsdad

I have had an I600 since it hit the market in Phoenix, AZ. I love it. I have a 512 MB SD card. I replaced the holster that came with it with one that Verizon sells, allowing it to flip open. I paid $385 and have a data plan that is $44.95 for unlimited data (in addition to my calling plan). Other than the "slow responding" caller ID and not being able to assign custom ringers to contacts, I am very happy with the phone and utilize the PDA functions daily.

If anyone has found a good source for accessories, please let me know as, so far, they seem to be very limited.

[email protected]

Guest solsavr

I love mine too!...I do have the keyboard, and it works great for mobil emails that are longer that a sentence or two. If you do mobil email, you will like it!

I am waiting for Power Calendar form DeveloperOne....That's what I want...oh, and a new Vette!

who i am: a young tech-oriented (divorce) attorney who employs the VZW Samsung i600 in and out of the courtroom. switched service over from at&t and am happy i did. i've been reading these forums for a little while, but did not register till now.

what i think: screen is brilliant. construction solid. the keys are great and the T9 is perfect for texting. i'm very wary going out with the slim battery, as it doesn't hold the best charge... the extended battery, although bulky, holds a solid charge. what appeals is that although the i600 is a convergent device it is primarily a phone. reception is good, much better than old service and phone.

what i've done: i haven't gone on a software shopping spree yet, so what i am running now is: agilemesenger, quickclose, repligo, smartnes, space invaders, and Chrono. my programs menu has been rearranged to suit my needs and i will soon tackle the layout of the desktop (neither do i want it cluttered nor too simple). i've also begun mapping keys to open programs i use often (so far: repligo, quick close, and a .wav of Obi Wan pulling a Jedi mind trick - "these aren't the droids you're looking for").

what i want: 2003 update; Caller ID!!!; problem free syncing; better internet browser (faster, less lag typing in url's, faster scrolling, ability to access all sites without the "page not found" message); a good map program (mapopolis); universal media player / viewer; text editor (wordperfect and word files); a stopwatch program that would allow me to run multiple stopwatches to track time spent on multiple projects; blue tooth card that also doubles as a memory card (possible?); e-mail browser capable of handling multiple accounts (pop and hotmail).

Guest nickcornaglia

Had one. HATED IT.

I loved Verizon's service which was quite refreshing since I've been using T-Mobile/Voicestream for the past two years.

I love the smartphone platform and have used several smartphones before the i600. (SPV, e100 for a short time, SPV, Mitac Mio 8380).

The i600 was in the works during the days of the original SPV. It just came out this year and is already over a year behind in smartphone technology. The data speed is nice but I attribute that to the service, not the phone.

The smartphone platform is indespensible but Verizon's implementation of it leaves much to be desired. It took them two years to approve a device that is outdated upon it's arrival and riddled with bugs to boot!

I've been spoiled by previous smartphones and am jealous of the new offerings in the UK that I can not take advantage of under Verizon's CDMA Network, even if the latest UK phones were SIM Unlockable.

Sure they're going to offer a patch or even a OS Upgrade.

But I'm holding out for something better than I had....not something worse.

If the service was good, I'd switch back to TMobile and get almost any overseas version of the Smartphone that I could want. But that isnt the case.

So I'm stuck with Verizon for now with their great reception but crappy support. I'm stuck with them dragging their feet on new releases.

I'll probably switch back to the i700 PPC Phone for now and deal with the added bulk until a better Smartphone device comes out under Verizon. But at least it will be able to do anything I want it to without the limitations of Verizon's development team's oversights.

(Can you tell I'm frustrasted).

My Hope:

Smartphone 2003 device under Verizon.

Camera

Bluetooth

Attractive form factor.

Until then....I cant get another until I get one that was better than what I had. The same goes for women in my life. In both cases, I may be waiting for a while. :evil:

Personally, the camera is a waste of phone for me. Bluetooth will become more important in the future, but it is of marginal use now.

I will welcome the 2003 version of the OS, but it will be a generation or two of devices until we get the speed and capacity we all want. By then, we will be unsatisfied with that also. Tough to stay current with a phone company product delivery schedule.

Guest tcwatkins

Love my i600. I had one of the old Casio folding computers that used windows CE1.0. Didn't really use it. I then went to a HP 548 with a slip on modem. Can't actually recall what it was called now. The modem doubled the size and was sloooow. Dropped it after a year. Kept the 548 and used it occasionally, mainly to transfer info between my work and home computers. Useful but big and not connected.

Now with my i600 I have what I need and use it every day. If I'm out of my house, I have the i600 with me. Can read books when killing ten minutes. Can call anyone and I have the number with me. Can look for stores while our shopping. Can listen to music. Not perfect but I do like using one hand to run it. I want WM 2003 to resolve Windows Media and IE problems but I won't give it back even if they don't.

The add-on programs I use are repligo to convert books and webpages to read on it and task manager/power toys from Resco.

Guest lilngineer

Hi, I just got my i600 today. I was a previous Moto MPx200 user. Where I live (Detroit area), Verizon's service is far superior to any other network. I have now ported my number from Nextel to AT&T to T-mobile to Verizon. I hated bellying up for the price, though. Overall, the phone seems far more solid and better designed than the Moto. Although slightly larger, I am happy with the choice.

I have another post about this, but is there a task manager for this phone? If so, is it needed for battery life?

Thanks!

PS Moto did make their cradle better, though. No need to plug in the power adapter to charge!

Guest wolfrobinson

I have the Samsung i600 and I love it. I use it 100% personal. I live in the Virginia Beach, VA, area. I just bought some skins off Ebay because the cases were too bulky. I also bought some screen protectors. I purchased an extra sync cradle so I could sync at home and work. I didn't buy the Verizon version though - too expensive!

I have:

E Wallet

PhotoViewer

Weather

I have the Samsung i600 and I love it.  I use it 100% personal.  I live in the Virginia Beach, VA, area.  I just bought some skins off Ebay because the cases were too bulky.  I also bought some screen protectors.  I purchased an extra sync cradle so I could sync at home and work.  I didn't buy the Verizon version though - too expensive!

I have:

E Wallet

PhotoViewer

Weather

Where did you get the sync cradle from?

Just bought the i600 last Sunday. It replaced an a530 that I tried for a week (nice tiny phone, limited PDA features) and a Sony PEG-T665C (on eBay right now). I really haven't had a chance to play with it too much, but I do have a 512MB SD card, Verizon Case, USB cable, and travel charger on order.

For the positives, I think its a great phone. I like the flexibility it offers, and that I don't have to use Verizon's "Get It Now" that nickles and dimes you to death. I'm pretty good with Windows, so I'm much more comfortable getting "into" the phone than I was using GAGIN and bitpim on the a530.

The few nitpicks I have are I wish it was about an ounce lighter, the caller ID bug (This really bugs me and I'm going to go after Verizon and try for some "compensation"), that you can't assign individual ringtones despite Microsoft's site says you can, and the wait (maybe eternal?) for Smartphone 2003.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with my purchase.

Guest pmerritt

I have one and love it, i have two SD cards, one 256 and one 512 the larger always has a full length movie, games and music and the 256 hasn't been used yet but i'm sure i will find something for it. btw zbrett, you can make your own ringers really easily. plce .wav file in the Sounds folder in the phone and it works like a charm. i encoded a 16bit mono and it was only 200k or so but it sounds great.

Guest hard-case

Have had it since it first came out from Verizon. At first I was extremely impressed, now a bit less so. I love the size....unlike a lot of people I'm not too keen on the 'phone so small I could lose it anywhere' phenomena. I like the size and shape of the phone, and it's very solid construction (two drops and barely even a scratch on the thing). I've had no problems with call clarity or dropped calls (ok, I've had one dropped call since I had it, but considering it was the first bad snowstorm of the year, and traffic was at record levels, I'm more than willing to say it was probably just overloaded circuits).

The first thing that bothers me is the standard battery. One day would be nice, but if I pull it from the charger at 7am, I am damn lucky if by 4pm the thing isn't chirping at me, and that's with maybe 20-30 minutes MAX of open useage. I was hoping for more out of the external display (like...maybe icons for email, or voicemail, like just about every other cell phone with external displays have!), and I HATE the fact that you can't put links on the home screen to programs (no...not the MRU, but just a static quick link to different software). And hey.....I pay for the unlimited data plan, how about email software that can automatically check my POP mail every 15-30 minutes? Mostly pretty minor gripes, though. I'm definitely sticking with the phone, and hoping we'll see a 2k3 upgrade.

As for software:

B-Tris

ConnectedBits Weather

Resco Task Manager

Resco Battery/Memory

PHM Registry Editor

and yeah...Smart StripPoker.

btw zbrett, you can make your own ringers really easily. plce .wav file in the Sounds folder in the phone and it works like a charm. i encoded a 16bit mono and it was only 200k or so but it sounds great.

I think zbrett is referring to what is one of my biggest gripes about the phone. SP2k2, and even the original documentations from Samsung (I have the PDF manual downloaded from their site from mid-November), list custom ring tones for contacts as one of the available features of the phone. In the manual I have, under the Contacts portion it lists 'Custom Ring Tone' as an option for a contact entry. Later versions of the manual, and of course the phone itself, do not. Verizon has no clue, and a Samsung CS rep kicked me up to level 2 support, but 30 minutes on hold was enough for me. I tried emailing them, but their response was 'call our CS number'. Several custom proggies that supposedly have this feature don't work with the i600.

...list custom ring tones for contacts as one of the available features of the phone

Exactly... I went through the same process, only to find custom ring tones for contacts missing after I got the phone. And yes, a lot of people wihin Verizon don' t have a clue when it comes to the i600. I knew more about the phone than the employees at the store where I bought it and it was just a fluke that they actually had one in the store that I could take home with me, rather than the normal ship to your address route for delivery. :roll:

i600, got it, love it.

Its my first PDA (PDA like) device.

I switched from Sprint to Verizon to get it.

Bonus for me: Verizon seems to have better coverage here in Eastern Pennsylvania then Sprint.

I use it for strictly personal reasons.

Movies, Music, Pictures, Surfing, PIM, Calls, Games, IMing, Texting, Email...

Gripes: No page up/down support (scrolling marathon)

Favorite 3rd party App: IA Album (for pictures)

Two 256Meg SD cards.

And i bought the Lexar Jumpdrive Trio.

I use it to read/write to my SD cards from almost any PC.

Extremely conveniant, and cheap.

Here's a link to it on Amazon.com

Question: did anyone get WAP to work on the i600?