If you own the Samsung i600...

Guest jeffbcell

Guest Oziscififan

I really like my i600, I just with there were more freeware games for it. I've got the gameboy and nes emulators up and running, and those are quite enjoyable. Custom ringtones per contact would be great too, but none of the software I've seen does that on the i600 (or it's got horrible reviews). I've only got a 32mb card so my options at this point are limited. I'll invest in a bigger one eventually. I would really like that 2k3 update as much software is only compatible with 2k3. I would also love to see a functional remote control app, I don't buy the IR being too week to be functional. It's gotta work for at least a few feet.

Guest stepn811

I am 2 days into my i600, and am just figuring it out. The wireless sync was easy to set up and works well. I am just not too sure I would have gotten it based on the issues I have discovered in the short time I have played around with it.

The fact that it doesn't sync with the lid closed, bothers me to no end, since I only wanted the device to stay connected while @ meetings, I can't see myself walking around with the lid open constantly.

When I bought the phone I thought "wow! how thoughtful...2 batteries"! little did I know, using this phone, I would need about 2 more to get through a regular day's use.

I haven't gotten into the software add ons yet, but reading here I am discovering that even the purchase of additional software is a bit of a risk as to wether it will work.

Luckily the feature I needed most works flawlessly, the syncing of my outlook contacts, which eliminates the need for a PDA, I will have to wait and see if the i600 is ultimately worth it for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest larsdennert

We have 3 i600's at our office. It has been basically what I expected as far a gripes. We previously used ipaq and at&t nokia phones. The unification to one device is nice but we ended up trading features. Verizon service is drasticly better than att here in LA. Before that we used Palm OS PDA's for years. Battery life on those was awesome, 2 AAA ran for months.

The only extra software I am using/evaluating currently is FoneDB from Syware.com. It is a bidirectional ODBC database program. You can do a link table from MS Access and sync/edit data in all directions. It supports most data types including a dial function. Basically it allows a multiphone multiuser custom db that you can dial from. I am hashing out some bugs with them and hopefully I will feel comfortable recommending it shortly. Their customer service is great.

My only other complaint with the i600 besides battery life is how sluggishly it responds sometimes.

Guest mark_k
We have 3 i600's at our office. It has been basically what I expected as far a gripes. We previously used ipaq and at&t nokia phones. The unification to one device is nice but we ended up trading features. Verizon service is drasticly better than att here in LA. Before that we used Palm OS PDA's for years. Battery life on those was awesome, 2 AAA ran for months.

The only extra software I am using/evaluating currently is FoneDB from Syware.com. It is a bidirectional ODBC database program. You can do a link table from MS Access and sync/edit data in all directions. It supports most data types including a dial function. Basically it allows a multiphone multiuser custom db that you can dial from. I am hashing out some bugs with them and hopefully I will feel comfortable recommending it shortly. Their customer service is great.  

My only other complaint with the i600 besides battery life is how sluggishly it responds sometimes.

The new OS(2003) should help with the sluggish stuff.

• 1 month later...
Guest foolswork

Purchased an i600 about two weeks ago. Immediately upgraded to 2003, works great.

Owned MPx200, sold it due to poor battery and terrible AT&T reception.

Guest pyromaniac4002

I love my i600.

I have a 256 MB SD Card, I don't think Bluetooth is going to be any benefactor for me until I have more Bluetooth accessories, and for now I'm perfectly happy with the USB Dock. I would like to get the keyboard though, and I was thinking maybe a wi-fi adapter when it comes out, but really the only improvement is free and fast internet, which I really dont use often.

As you might have noticed, I hate Verizon (see below) :evil: , and that is my only drawback to having an i600. Sure, they've got great coverage and everything, but whenever something needs to be changed it's a huge pain in the ass.

Overall, I think the great phone cancels out the horrible service, and then some. I really love this phone and wouldn't trade it for another one, at least for the time being. And the 2003 upgrade is excellent, despite the initial problems of getting it to work (courtesy of Verizon).

Guest pyromaniac4002
I bought the phone I thought "wow! how thoughtful...2 batteries"! little did I know, using this phone, I would need about 2 more to get through a regular day's use.

That's wierd, I can leave mine on for days at a time. And the extended battery lasts way longer then I can use in one day.

Guest redman0

I got my i600 in July, upgraded to Smartphone 2003 my second week, without any issues. Installed a 512Mb SD card, and am using Smartphone Find to search my 3000+ contact listings for information, great little piece of software. A few hic-ups here and there, but overall much happier than trying to carry a phone and a PDA. Had an issue with ActiveSync and had to reload it on the PC, lost any data since last update, which wasn't much, but things are better. Some trouble with 3-way calling, not sure what is going on, but I at least have all my contacts at hand, which is worth a little frustration. Using Verizon. Had the data service but it was too slow for browsing and don't seem to take advantage of wireless sync enough to pay for it, so I dropped that and just sync with my PC in the cradle. It doesn't seem to function as flawlessly as my old StarTac, as in picking up calls and ID stuff, but still happier with my i600 than alternative options. Hopefully the market will keep improving quickly so the phone does not wind up as unrealiable as a PC.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest geoffm33

I've had mine for about over a week now. It's a great phone. I have the unlimited data plan that I take advantage of for internet access and email.

For email, I sync with my Exchange 2003 server which gives me the option to get email as it arrives at the server like a BlackBerry. The web surfing isn't too bad if you go to sites that are optimized for it. And Thunderhawk is a great program that makes web surfing a bit quicker.

It is replacing an iPAQ 5450. The only thing I truly used it for was Internet and Outlook. So it was easy to move over to this device.

• 2 weeks later...
We purchased this phone for application research on Smartphone Platform. I like the form factor and the camera, the only thing as compared to GSM smartphone is these phone are Application locked, Does any one know of to unlock these phone to install uncertified application developed for research. I downloaded one for Mitac GSM smartphone. having a hard time to find for samsung i600, if any one has a copy let me know or point towards the site  8)  

Kamran

Camera?

Guest SinisterJunkie

I have had my i600 for a little over a month now and I really love it. I was a heavy Palm user, but decided to give the MS Smartphone platform a shot when I lost my 6035 on a recent business trip in Israel.

So far I am pretty happy with the i600. I don’t like the Application Lock, but that’s a Verizon issue, not the i600. I need to get a SD Card soon, as I have overloaded the phone and had to remove some apps for the time being. I hoping that a Wi-Fi card and driver come out soon. I have been looking for a decent DB application and will have to check out FoneDB.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 4cathy

Hi everyone. I have the i600 and I love it. I'm looking for an interactive gps navigational system for my phone. Any suggestions? I have the keyboard. Using the keyboard makes entering information so easy. Verizon gave me a discount on the keyboard when I bought my phone. The keyboard is expensive, but its worth it.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest larsdennert

you can get the unlock patch from the samsung site. fonedb is the only thing out. it has some problems. it is slow unless you only have less than a few hundred records. the access driver has bugs and is really slow. i identified most of the bugs for them but some remain.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest rondo1974

I got an i600 last week... bought it "gently used" with 2003 OS already installed. I am liking it so far, still getting used to it's little quirks but haven't run into any show-stoppers yet. It's a bit larger than my previous cell phone, but much smaller than my Palm m130, and certainly better than having to carry both devices around. The display is gorgeous!

Some of the little quirks I mentioned that do bug me a bit: 1) inconsistent syncing (I now know that it's better to keep the phone open while syncing)... 2) it doesn't pick up date/time from the network, which is a bit of an issue when I travel across time zones like I did this past weekend... and 3) the external side buttons do nothing when the flip is closed besides turn on the external LCD backlight (as far as I know).

Looking forward to a long and happy partnership with my new smartphone :lol:

Guest larsdennert

The volume will stop the ringer when it is closed. You have to tell the phone what time zone you are in to get the correct time. Silly I know but...

I got an i600 last week... bought it "gently used" with 2003 OS already installed. I am liking it so far, still getting used to it's little quirks but haven't run into any show-stoppers yet. It's a bit larger than my previous cell phone, but much smaller than my Palm m130, and certainly better than having to carry both devices around. The display is gorgeous!

Some of the little quirks I mentioned that do bug me a bit: 1) inconsistent syncing (I now know that it's better to keep the phone open while syncing)... 2) it doesn't pick up date/time from the network, which is a bit of an issue when I travel across time zones like I did this past weekend... and 3) the external side buttons do nothing when the flip is closed besides turn on the external LCD backlight (as far as I know).

Looking forward to a long and happy partnership with my new smartphone :lol:

What do you want the side buttons to do?

Guest rondo1974
What do you want the side buttons to do?

It would be nice if you could use one of the side buttons as a shortcut to put the phone into Silent or Speakerphone mode.

If you set the answering options to AnyKey, can you use one of the side buttons to answer a call with the flip closed?

Guest larsdennert

The volume already does that but only for that call.

I don't know of any way without writing a program but the Samsung headset will answer/hang up with it's button.

It would be nice if you could use one of the side buttons as a shortcut to put the phone into Silent or Speakerphone mode.

If you set the answering options to AnyKey, can you use one of the side buttons to answer a call with the flip closed?

Silent: When the phone rings, just hit any side key to stop the phone from ringing and send it to voice mail.

Speakerphone: With the phone closed it's not much good as the microphone is on the inside the flip.

Answering phone with flip closed: Again what good is it if the microphone is inside the closed phone? If you are using a head set then that it's doable.

[snip...]Silent: When the phone rings, just hit any side key to stop the phone from ringing and send it to voice mail.

[...snip]

This silences the ringer but does not send the call to voice mail--not on my phone anyway. I wish it did do that!

Guest larsdennert

Samsung/verizon lurks here. It used to be that the phone didn't have that function at all. One day it was magically downloaded. I've noticed that it appears they have the ability to make minor updates to the phone over the air.

Maybe they'll change the "silent" volume function to "reject" to voicemail for us like the inside soft button does.

Battery life is barely adequate with the big battery. I turn the radio off at night and that helps. Turning off just the radio is quicker than powering down the phone and I think the battery life is the same. Even when powered off it has to supply juice to the memory chips.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lenraphaelcpa

yeah, standby battery life especially when synching every 10 mins during the day is a dismal 9 hours. ain't no blackberry.

btw, is there a trick to quickly finding a contact without scrolling thru them all? tabls or first letter search?

i even tried an app, "smartphonefind" but found it to be slower than scrolling thru 150 contacts.

-len

Just start typing the name that is in your phone book. This is actually the fastest way I have seen to find a contact. You can also start typing the name right from the home screen.

Posted from my SmartPhone!