VZW Upgrade to Smartphone 2003

Guest richmlpdx

Guest Nukl3ar

Thanks for trying to help ... guess it's time to try my cracker friends on irc ... no one else seems to have a solution to the problem. I've checked all the forums & tried everything they suggested including a hard reset to no avail. Nothing much seems to want to install via activesync and the few things that have (demos included w/ my phone) were already expired :D I've cleaned the memory & done all I can think of. Thanks again for trying.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest squirrelist

Look at what I found on the newsgroups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...%40giganews.com

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless website.  As part of our Worry

Free Guarantee, your concern becomes our concern the first time you contact

us.  We are happy to assist you with your Samsung i600 Smartphone 2003

software questions.

The update is scheduled to become available on this coming Monday, the 12th

of July.  The update will be available as a download from our

www.verizonwireless.com website, or from select retail stores.  Customers

that are currently using either of our PDA/Smartphone data plans will be

entitled to the upgrade free of charge until September 30th.  Customers

without a PDA/Smartphone data plan will be required to pay $15 for the

update.  After October 1st, all i600 users will be required to pay $15 for

the update.  Please check our www.verizonwireless.com website on Monday for

more information.

If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us anytime through

e-mail using the address of [email protected].  We appreciate

your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Chris

Verizon Wireless

Wireless Data Technical Support

"We never stop working for you!"

The above response is subject to the terms of your Service Agreement and

calling plan, which apply to all lines on your account.  Please read those

materials for full details. Our liability is limited.  In the event of a

conflict between this response and the terms of your Service Agreement and

calling plan, the terms of your Service Agreement and calling plan will

govern.  Verizon Wireless's calling plans, rate areas, rates, agreement

provisions, business practices, procedures and policies are subject to

change as specified in the Service Agreement.

Guest awesterink

On another forum, a user that is typically "in the know" reported that the date was pushed back to the 19th, but so far he has not given any details around that. We'll see. Either way, with VZW you'll have to see it before you can believe it.

Guest Nukl3ar

Well, it's the 12th and I've watched the verizon site all day and unless I just am missing it there is no upgrade to mobile 2003. Anyone else have different luck or heard anything new about the situation?

Guest Malkie

Ok yesterday I called Verizon and spoke with a tech who said said that yes it was supposed to be out, sooooo, I went to the Verizon store to get the upgrade and the in store tech looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming truck. Last night on my way home from work I called Verizon again and was read an email from high up that the upgrade was 1: supposed to be released on the 9th 2: that all phones currently being produced and shipped to warehouses and store have 2003 already installed 3: that the new service that held things up in the first place Wireles Sync 2, was being pushed back to the 19th and 4: a bunch of other stuff aboot fixes and patches. The tech mentioned a couple of interesting points tho, 1: he'd been checking the link in the post above all weekend and that he'd gotten the same results we have 2: he couldn't understand why they were charging non-PDA/Smartphone pkg users $15 and 3: It appears that while PIE, WMP, and send/recieve has been improved POutlook has been done away with in loo of Exchange server 2003. He also said that the tech department has a 2003 version i600 in their office but that the send recieve still doesn't work properly (and if it doesn't work for them (and they have the SMTP servers) I doubt it will work for us) It looks like we'll all have to splurge and spend the 44.99 to be able to send emails from our phones... :D We already know it exsists and that i600's out there have it so why all the drama and cloak & dagger mystery just f'ing do it! -MalKiE

Guest Malkie

Also a very IMPORTANT thing the Tech told me from the email from his superiors yesterday... That if you do the install yourself at home and I quote "YOU MUST HAVE THE ACTIVE SYNC 3.7.0 INSTALLED, NOT 3.7.1 OR IT WILL NOT WORK!!!" if the store does the upgrade and screws it up they will replace the phone. that is all. -MalKiE

Guest awesterink

Huh? What? That sounds really funky. Guess I better track down version 370. As far as send/receive is concerned....how STUPID. I bet it works just peachy with the original WM2003 image as provided by MS. I'm guessing VZW is holding off this launch to avoid many many angry calls and emails...

Guest Nukl3ar

Well since yesterday when I checked the verizon site all day the only news I've heard has been from this forum. However, I also have not been able to access my Hotmail acct. from my phone since that time either. I'd been able to do this before by signing in thru MS Money site then navigating to the Hotmail link. Now, I dont even get a sign in page - rather now I get a page asking me to register for a passport but no option to sign in w/o re-registering. Has anyone else had this problem? The timing of it seemed maybe significant to me.

Guest Malkie

Hey NUkl3ar, I don't have a link to my hotmail page in my favorites yet and usually only check my hotmail from my desktop as it is not my primary email. I did however just sign in to MSN messenger which as you know also uses the .net passport. I have been thinking since we last spoke that if the 2003 OS doesn't fix the problems you've been having, have you thought about having VZW replace your i600 (that yours might be defective (like corrupted code))? If it is a legitimate gripe they shouldn't charge you for the replace. This new developement of yours could correspond with the 2003 OS upgrade tho I don't know why it would unless they are making changes to their site for the upcoming Wireless Sync 2. Hope it clears up soon, L8r. MalKiE

Guest Nukl3ar

Malkie - yeah I've thought about taking my problems back to Verizon & seeing if they'll replace the phone. It's possible that there is some problem w/ it that nothing is going to fix. However, I just bought the thing .... and I've read elsewhere on this forum that replacements were refurbished machines. I paid for a new machine ... I dont want a refurbishment. I think I'll tough it out a bit longer & see if Verizon releases the new OS. That may indeed correct the problems. I just thought the timing of the other was a bit strange. I'll keep trying & may call Verizon tech support today. I've been bored at work ... maybe that will provide some entertainment.

Guest Nukl3ar

I don't know if this should be in a different thread or not - it's a direct result in my opinion of the issue w/ the 2003 kickoff. As I described previously I've not been able to access my hotmail acct. since the "rumored" release of the 2003 OS for the samsung. So, today while I was at work - basically doing nothing - I decided to call verizon's tech support and see if they could give me any assistance. My first call resulted in me speaking w/ one of their techs until I was cut off. No solution. I placed a second call and the new tech told me he would transfer me to a Samsung tech .... when he did I was cut off. I called a third time and was put on hold for almost 30 mins. I gave up .... called Samsung tech support directly. After almost another 30 min wait ... the tech came on & I described my problem. He asked to check my software version and we did so - then when he asked me to press the "Home" key we were cut off. I called back ... after another wait I got another tech ... this one refused to transfer me to a tech 2 until I gave her my ESN - under the battery of the phone I was using. I finally convinced her to go explain the problem to another tech & see if they had a workaround. After some time she came back online & told me the tech had said that it was MS's problem & that MS mobile had begun blocking even more sites since the expected rollout of 2003. Also said that I would have to deal w/ MS Mobile on their site but that I should check w/ Verizon to see if they had received the upgrade yet. Obviously they haven't but seem to be expected to sometime soon. However, everyone passed the buck as to blame & no one had a solution. At that point, I had to actually go do some work having spent 3 hrs on the problem so I've not yet contacted MS Mobile .... but doubt I'll have any luck w/ them either.

Guest Karch

called Verizon Tech Support, and this rep was clueless. I came across the info below at http://msmobiles.com/news.php/2801.html. It doesn't really identify the actual technician, but may be helpful:

Smartphone 2003 ROM upgrade for Samsung i600 delayed

July 13, 2004 [MS Smartphone]

Suffering and frustration of users of Samsung i600 smartphone continues... ... as Verizon Wireless informs users that they have to use older software even longer:

We understand your frustration and apologize for the delay in waiting for the Smartphone 2003 update. As part of our Worry Free Guarantee, your concern becomes our concern the first time you contact us. We are happy to assist you with your inquiry.

The update was scheduled to become available today, but due to unforeseen circumstances, it was necessary to postpone the release one more week. The update will be available as a download from our www.verizonwireless.com website, or from select retail stores, next Monday, the 19th of July. Customers that are currently using one of our PDA/Smartphone data plans will be entitled to the upgrade free of charge. Customers without a PDA/Smartphone data plan will be required to pay $15 for the update. After October 1st, all i600 users will be required to pay $15 for the update. Please check our www.verizonwireless.com website on Monday for more information.

If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us anytime through e-mail using the address of [email protected]

Guest jojochef

the verizon store near me just got the software in and i just brought my phone in for the upgrade. so maybe its out.i did look on the verizon website but there still is nothing mentioned for home downloading.

Guest Nukl3ar

I'm confused by your post. You say the store near you has the software and you took your phone in for the upgrade. So you are now running Mobile 2003? You then go on and say that "maybe they have the software" or something to that effect. Are you not sure or was there some reason you had to leave the phone w/ them so you cant be certain if it was installed? A little clarification would be nice.

Guest squirrelist

I got my phone upgraded today at Verizon in Columbia, MD. I walked in to ask about it and they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Guest Nukl3ar

w00t!! Good to hear ... I've just gotten back from a trip to town but will make another to check w/ the Verizon store & see if they've recieved it yet. Any comments about how the phone performs now or any issues you've discovered?

Guest jojochef

when i went to the verizon store to pick up the phone the tech said that something was wrong with the software from verizon and that they couldn't install 2003 on my phone. Then the tech said to come back monday when the problem would probably be fixed and that they could down load it but to call before i come in to make sure the software is working right?

Guest Pracis

for those that are in Irvine.. the store on Michelson has both the data cable and the software and they are doing the updates as of yesterday

The one thing that irks me about the update is that .. even with the update.. is that you're still not able to install certain .cab files such as the ones for homescreens. I was under the impression that you would be able to install them after the 03 update.

Guest Nukl3ar

Well as is typical for Verizon here in Ohio (and Michigan) - they knew absolutely nothing about the upgrade. In fact, it took me 30 minutes to explain to the "service person" that I did NOT need a new phone. When a clue finally struck what she must use for a brain ... she told me to come back tomorrow - during the hours I work of course - and that maybe someone then could find out about it. So.... it sounds like unless Verizon puts a trouble free installation on the web I may have to wait considerably longer for the upgrade.

Guest awesterink

Yup, I can confirm that Michigan seems to be low on the priority list when it comes to rolling out products. I called several stores in the area, and after informing them of the 2003 upgrade (news to most), I got shamelessly lied to with answers like: upgrades only done by Samsung or Microsoft, need specialized cable that they don't have yet, and one even suggested I look for the upgrade on a retail shelf at CompUSA :roll:

Finally I got one guy that knew what this was about. He called a few larger stores, and ended up calling the biggest one in Detroit....they had nothing. My confidence in store reps is so low at this point that I will wait for the web download and do it myself.

Guest Nukl3ar

yeah I too got the stuff about the cable .... only the one tech supposedly has it. Funny about Ohio & Michigan ... we have another verizon wireless acct. out of Phoenix ... we can pay our bills anywhere in the country EXCEPT Ohio & Michigan. They cant even pull up billing info for us here ... have to actually do it on the phone. The reps here tell me they are not even connected to the rest of the company. I hope this doesnt mean I'll have to wait for an upgrade on the web (I dont even see on the site where this would be located) .... or wait til I leave Ohio & Michigan and go back to the rest of the world.

Guest tcwatkins

Now on line at the VZW site. Go to the i600 phone page under phones and there will be a download link. Follow instructions closely. You will have to make sure you have an old version (3.7) of activesync on your computer.

Guest chudy

could anyone running WM2003 on their i600 check the version numbers?

you can get them by going to Start->Settings->About

when you scroll down you'll see the Operator, Manufacturer and other version numbers

thanks!