VZW Upgrade to Smartphone 2003

Guest richmlpdx

Guest mark_k
could anyone running WM2003 on their i600 check the version numbers?

you can get them by going to Start->Settings->About

when you scroll down you'll see the Operator, Manufacturer and other version numbers

thanks!

PDA

S:i600.04.V.XE18.13349

EBoot:04.11

Phone

S:i600.04.V.XE18

Guest Malkie

I just checked my version and it is: PDA S:i600.04.V.XE18.13349 EBoot:04.11 and Phone is S:i600.04 V:WH04 so it looks like I've got only a partial upgrade and now I will have to check with VZW to see if this is the case. L8R MalKiE

Guest Nukl3ar

Malkie - it would indeed seem you only have a partial upgrade. I FINALLY managed to upgrade my phone's os last night w/ no help from either Verizon or Samsung. I'm beginning to think the tech people at both couldnt be spellcheckers in an M&M factory. I tried on 3 diff boxes b4 the process finally worked on my wife's system. I'm now trying to find which software actually works under the new OS. There were a couple of things which installed that wouldnt b4 but there were many things that will no longer install. And software I'd purchased now shows as "unregistered" and the reg info no longer works ... I've had to send emails to the companies in the hope they will take pity on me & send me new reg info. Good luck ... you know where to reach me :P

Guest GeoffreyF

Smartphone 2003 IS available from Verizon. First, if you go to the verizonwireless site ... products ... i600 and read carefully, there is a link to an update procedure. It has worked for some, cooked the phones of others. Follow the instructions exactly ... be sure to get the new USB drivers installed, downgrade (if 3.7.1, or upgrade if other) to activesync 3.7 ... follow the procedures precisely ... if at the end it tells you the upgrade has failed, wait at least 10 minutes before pulling it out of the cradle. ... I would say that this is a summary of my own experiences and posts on pdaphonehome.

Many or even most Verizon stores now have an upgrade procedure in place. I would recommend using that or being patient and waiting for that if you can.

I tried the D.I.Y upgrade and it cooked and killed my phone. This is how I know what not to do. I ended up getting a brand new one shipped to me in a retail box. It already had 2003 in it ... so I assume new phones are 2003. Interestingly, it had the wrong USB drivers (old ones) on the CD. Without the new ones, the phone will not work as a laptop modem but will work for active sync.

Avoid the new wireless sync 2.0 and use the old one. The new wireless sync does not work with active sync, in fact it kills it. And, if you try to get it working, you may lose outlook data.

In summary, Smartphone 2003 is great. Verizons rollout of the update to the phone and the new wireless sync can only be described as amateurish and ill conceived.

Guest takezo

I got following answer to my question asking if old version of Wireless sync will work with 2003 or not and where I could get new version of Wireless sync. I followed the instruction right after I upgraded to 2003, then it is working like charm. :P

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear takezo,

Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless website. As part of our Worry Free Guarantee, your concern becomes our concern the first time you contact us. We are happy to assist you with your Wireless Sync questions.

We have a completely new Wireless Sync application for the Windows Mobile 2003 operating system. Please see below for instructions on how to download the Wireless Sync software for your Samsung i600 handset.

1. Navigate to https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/en/logon.asp

2. Click on the Register link just below the logon boxes, or on the "Sign Up Now" link 3. Follow the instructions on the web page to register for your Wireless Sync profile 4. Once you have registered, follow the instructions on the web site to download and install the Wireless Sync software.

If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us anytime through e-mail using the address of [email protected]. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Chris

Verizon Wireless

Wireless Data Technical Support

Guest jrgillespie

I'm out of town on business and took my i600 to a Verizon store and asked them to upgrade to 2003. The tech spent about an hour trying to perform the upgrade before he fried my phone. After waiting an hour he gave it back to me and told me I'd need to call customer support to get a new phone - huh? Not too happy about the situation, I asked to speak with a manager - manager left early today. After waiting another 30 minutes one of the in-store sales reps helped me out. She managed to get a new i600 sent to my home and gave me a loaner phone to use while i'm traveling on business. Total time spent at Verizon store -> 2 hrs. 20 minutes.

I've been in the software industry for 25 years and opted to have VZW upgrade my phone precisely for this reason. If I had attempted the upgrade myself and had the same results, I suspect it would take hours on the phone or in the store to get a replacement phone.

Guest mikemc311

BRAVo MS VZW & Samsung!

just completed the 2003 upgrade (free awsome) with almost no trouble. for a minute there i thought i was f***ed my stupid computer froze during the upgrade (just after it deleted the old 2002 ROM) & when i restarted my phone the screen just went white. if you happen to have the same trouble there is a work around but it requires another windows smartphone or pocket PC(i used my viewsonic v35 Pocket PC) simply restart the upgrade process with the other device on the cradle until you get past the data backup part. then swich to the i600 keep progressing through the upgrade & when it wont let you go any further sinpley remove the battery replace and turn on the phone after it is on the sync cradle. this should get you thorough the upgrade.

upgrade is a must it fixes so many problems.

caller id, video plays at full frame rate, mp3 player doesn't briefly pause when you close the lid, overall faster response, use .wma for ring tone, and a new game are just a few of the items i noticed in the first 5 minutes.

things i wish they fixed

still no 128bit SSL in IE

cant fast forward media

Guest mikemc311

hey thanks but no luck my bank works fine but my capitalone creditcard sight says that my browser does not support 128 bit encryption

Guest bill-e

More than likely then they dont recognize PIE version # and aren't actually testing for 128bit.

I know for ppc there is a hack to change the version number...RegKing I think

Guest mikemc311

dude your the best

even though i will still probibly cancle my mobile internet service. it is just too dam slow and i dont have an exrta $70 bucks a month to waste unless i can find a way to rout all my call via the internet (voice over IP) hence not needing a large calling plan

Guest mikemc311

2003 upgrade bug?

i am using a .wma file as my ringtone but every once in a wile a random ringtone is used instead no a normal one ether one that i cant seem to find anywere

anyone else having the same issue