BETA PLAYER, new player, BEST Player

Guest xavierjohn22

Hmm... I'm trying out 0.93 and suddenly it locks up. I push all buttons but nothings happens. Then, after about one minute, I can hear a faint voice: '…can not be reached at the moment…'! I quickly turn off the power, reboot and check call history: Betaplayer actually called my sons doctor! Now THAT's a new feature!!!!! :-)

I've been trying the new Betaplayer for a week or 2 now. like always I love this App... never use WMP anymore. I love the feature that you can asign keys to everything. I love the new details. I love the fact that you can read what file your playing and the time it's been playing. just love everything!!

just a few things I wan't to mention. how about displaying the played file and duration/time elapsed on the outer screen for the moto's and the samsung i600? (just an idea)

Why is it that when you play a movie in benchmark mode the quality is SUPERB!!! but when you play it normaly it seems lesser? I know that the audio and video don't synchronize but still it's playing both in great quality.... isn't it possible to get that when playing it normaly?

when it runs it runs great... but sometimes it just refuses to load? any idea about that?

Thank you for your INCREDIBLE app Picard.

don't run my phone without it.

Pigo

Guest picard_beta
suddenly it locks up. I push all buttons but nothings happens. Then, after about one minute, I can hear a faint voice: '…can not be reached at the moment…'! I quickly turn off the power, reboot and check call history: Betaplayer actually called my sons doctor! Now THAT's a new feature!!!!! :-)

i guess the player didn't lock up fully and pushing all buttons you triggered a call. please post any more information you remeber about the lock up or maybe if you can reproduce it so i find the player bug.

i guess the player didn't lock up fully and pushing all buttons you triggered a call. please post any more information you remeber about the lock up or maybe if you can reproduce it so i find the player bug.

picard_beta,

I was trying to associate the green 'Receiver off' button with full screen play, since xBar hogs the action key. It started out maximizing the picture and playing the flick, but there was no way to minimize it again. The movie just stopped playing. Then I hit everything, and suddenly I was making that call :-)

I have now put the Full Screen Play on button '8' and it seems to work ok.

Fantastic piece of software anyway. I can't believe how good this makes the C500 look, especially compared to my P900. Could you do a player for that too, please? ;-)

Guest picard_beta

i was thinking about a symbian port, but i happy if i have time for the wince version and even if i choose to support another platform i think palmos would be the first.

Guest lukeap69
i was thinking about a symbian port, but i happy if i have time for the wince version and even if i choose to support another platform i think palmos would be the first.

one for SE P900 would be very much okay.

lukeap

Guest tendomentis

PERFECT ENCODING SETTINGS FOR BETAPLAYER

(WARNING: Only try this if you can handle more than one program to accomplish this)

This method is long and convoluted, but it produces extremely good quality clips that play back perfectly on my MPX200.

Process your original video clip through VirtualDub Mod and save the vidoe at a resolution of 640x480 (if your source video is 16:9 ratio, just use the add black bars feature in resizing to correct) and use the MPEG4v2 format set at the highest bitrate setting. Also, convert your frame rate to 19.98 fps (at this setting, your eyes will hardly be able to tell the difference in frame rate as this is just below the normal threshold for DVD video). Export your audio to a plain WAV file uncompressed.

Normalize the WAV file (I use Goldwave for this, but there are many programs that will) and process the audio file through an OGG Vorbis encoder using a nominal bitrate setting of 48 KBPS at 32000 khz Mono. Import your video into Nero Recode 2.1 (this is the tricky part, since not everybody has this program, but it's version of MPEG4 is MUCH MUCH better than DIVX or XVID). Make sure you DEselect the audio and subtitles options, you just want a video stream. Encode at a resolution of 240x176.

Now, I usually have my presets like this: for 30 minute programs (which comes to between 20 and 25 minute programs without commercials), I want my overall file size to be 31 MB. This lets me fit an entire season of this 30 minute show onto one CD. So, take 31 MB (or 62 MB for your typical hour long show) and subtract the file size of your OGG audio file from it. Now, take that file size and put it into Nero Recode so that your target video file fits to that file size (remember, you're only encoding the video in this step). Select Quicktime compatibility mode (which makes a straight MPEG4 file) and encode away.

The nice thing about Nero Recode is that while it's quality is better than DIVX or XVID, it encodes a LOT faster than either of those other codecs, EVEN AT EXTRA QUALITY MODE (which is supposed to be the slowest Nero encoding method).

So, you now have your completed MP4 file. Now just demux the video from the MP4 file (again, many programs that let you do this). You now have a basic mpeg4 video file in AVI format that ANY mpeg4 filter can use. In fact, if you have one of the newer DIVX codecs installed, it will think that the file you just made IS a DIVX file.

So open that video only AVI file in Virtual Dub Mod and set your video compression to Direct Stream (this just outputs the original video data without changing anything) and mux your OGG audio file into it. Save as an OGM file.

And you're done!!

You now will have a file that is either 31 MB (for a 30 minute show) or 62 MB (for a sixty minute show) that has good quality audio and great video quality and will play beautifully on the latest unstable release of BetaPlayer. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

The final OGM file specs are thus:

VIDEO

Nero Recode 2.1 MPEG4 codec

240x176

19.98 fps

bitrate is between 125kbps and 155 kbps (depending on your OGG size)

AUDIO

OGG Vorbis audio codec

Nominal bitrate of 48 KBPS

32000 khz

Mono

Guest SCIZZORS
Picard-  

the new "c" version has the same problems on the mpx220. Is their any software that would be causing conflicts like that?

Im sorry ive looked everywhere, Can you direct me to where you can find the subrevisions 0.093 b and especially c

Guest SCIZZORS

does anyone have any tmpgenc settings? for encodeing to smartphone

Its a pretty widely used program and if you could just specify the right settings, then save it as a *.mcf mpeg setting template..sounds alot simpiler....anyone? :!:

Guest picard_beta

i advise to use mpeg4 (divx,xvid) instead of mpeg1. it compresses much better.

Guest SCIZZORS

Its a pretty widely used program and if you could just specify the right settings, then save it as a *.mcf mpeg setting template..sounds alot simpiler....anyone? :!:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Charlie Mouse

I've just downloaded version 0.093a and the ASF plugin and installed both on my C500 (with latest Orange update). I can now play .wma files no problem but when I try to play a .wmv movie BetaPlayer crashes (without any error messages). Anyone else had this problem? I know on the plugins page it says that the ASF plugin has problems with Media Player 10 but I didn't think the C500 with the update used MP10.

Great program BTW!

As a suggestion would it be possible to display the album art on the screen when playing music? I normally use media player on my PC to copy CD's to my hard disk (which also saves a copy of the album art) and then just copy the whole directory to my phone. Also, it would be handy, in the file selector, to be able to highlight a directory and then click play to play all the files in that directory.

Guest Charlie Mouse

Just tried another couple of WMV files and they work fine so it must have been something to do with the way the original files were created (codecs etc.)

Guest ZEROCOOL666

Great work Picard i think this is the best video player on smartphone, if only it was skinnable.... :wink: Is there any chance skin support will be added in the future?

Guest picard_beta
Picard- I tried encoding a video file with the pocketdivxconverter and got this error upon playing it.

Still no luck on my mpx220....:lol:

this is an old 0.04 bug corrected already in the unstable versions.

i'am sorry i didn't come back to the mpx220 issues yet...

Guest picard_beta
Great work Picard i think this is the best video player on smartphone, if only it was skinnable.... :wink:  Is there any chance skin support will be added in the future?

thanks. skin is planed, but there are so many other important features needed. betaplayer's main goal is still video playback and in this matter skin is not that important. but of course in the future i'll try to work on better music player features and skin as well, just can't give any timetable.