New Tweak: Backlight Profiles

Guest midnight

Guest midnight

about:

This tweak changes all the profiles so that Backlight settings can be applied to individual Profiles.

This was a request by Will who wanted the phones backlight to stay on when in Car Profile, but i thought i'd take it one step further and allow for different backlight settings for all profiles.

Installation:

Attached is a zip that contains new profiles, simply unzip and copy the profiles accross to IPSM(or Storage if using WM2k3)Application DataProfiles

Once installed, you can now edit the profile (Programs(or Start if on wm2k3) > Settings > Profiles, select the profile you want, and press Menu>Edit) and you can change the Display Timeout, the Backlight Timeout and the Screensaver Mode.

eg., if you set the Display Timeout to Never, the Backlight Timeout to Never and the Screensaver Mode to None, then the backlight will never turn off for that profile. By default, i've set the car profile to never trun the backlight out.

Once you have set your profile, the backlight will not change its setting until you press a key, eg Up on the joystick.

Profiles.zip

Guest paulosman

Very cool midnight, excellent tweak.

Maybe the SmartPhone developers need to pay more attention to Modaco before releasing any more models :)

Guest midnight

err, there is a bug with this, but i dunno, i like to think of it as a nice side-effect.

The backlight goes out, but, the screen stays on permanently, but, doesnt seem to affect battery life, which is cool, so, to see the time and stuff in daylight is still possible without having to turn the backlight on :)

Guest midnight

just a midi file script, ignore it :)

edit: oh, err, oops, the led flasher is built into this one, would everyone like me to remove it?

Guest plog

hmm, i cant edit these files on the phone, and when copied to desktop, they dissapear.... even though the system says they are there. Maybe you can tell me what to edit in notepad :

<characteristic type="Loud"><characteristic type="Registry">

<characteristic type="HKCUControlPanelPower">

<parm name="Display" value="60000"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKCUControlPanelBacklight">

<parm name="BatteryTimeout" value="30000"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKCUControlPanelScreenSaver">

<parm name="Mode" value="2"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKCUControlPanelProfilesLoud">

<parm name="Name" value="Loud"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKCUControlPanelSoundsRingTone0">

<parm name="Script" value="apw3r"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKCUControlPanelSoundCategories">

<characteristic type="Ring">

<parm name="InitVol" value="5"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Alarm">

<parm name="Script" value="f1m200t20pw2rc120w10t20pw2rc120w10t20pw2rc120w10t40pw2rc120w10t60pw2rw10t120

w2rw10f0"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Notification">

<parm name="Script" value="p"/>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Sounds">

<characteristic type="System">

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

Guest midnight

errr, why would you want to edit them like that?

just copy the profiles to the phone and edit them by going to Programs > Settings > Profiles, then Menu > Edit, you can then select what backlight setting you like.

Guest Jon_

very nice, now i know im dreaming but it would be so nice if the time out for the phone to keypad lock could be changed by profile to, so it never goes to keylock mode when in car mode etc

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mugenakuma

I cut and pasted these profiles into my mpx200 and now I cant set any profiles! Any changes I make are not saved so my phone is stuck in a normal profile. How can I restore the old profiles or fix this problem? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest mugenakuma

Where's Mr. Midnight my smartphone guru? I really need help with fixing this problem since my phone is now stuck in a normal profile. :)

Please help Midnight!

• 4 months later...
Guest nickwaring

Hi,

Does anyone know how to do this on a C500 (WM2003 SE I think)... It's probably the best solution for keeping the backlight on when using GPS in the car...

Hopefully there's someone clever out there!

I've tried playing with the profiles... (various combinations) and like others I can get a profile to give you the option of adjusting the timeout but I can't select it!

Any advice?? (not having much luck with bltoggle either)

Thanks!

Guest fozzie

I've tried and failed :D However, now I've had my GPS for a week the novelty factor is wearing off and I don't feel the urge to constantly stare at it. I'm now used to the screen going dark and then lighting up with each voice instruction ^_^ It saves the battery too.

Guest nickwaring

I've switched from Co-pilot on a PPC where I was really used to the screen being lit all the time. The C500 will be connected to the DC power when in the car so i'm not too bothered about the battery issues.

The other way round it would be an app that detected when the phone was on charge which then set the screen to stay on... this is similar to the tweak that can be usek for the iPAQ 4150.. But I haven't a clue how to go about doing it!

Guest Toyota-F1.com
err, there is a bug with this, but i dunno, i like to think of it as a nice side-effect.

The backlight goes out, but, the screen stays on permanently, but, doesnt seem to affect battery life, which is cool, so, to see the time and stuff in daylight is still possible without having to turn the backlight on ^_^

This has always been possible, midnight, all you have to do is go to Start>Settings>Power Management, and change the Screen saver mode to None, and the screen will never turn off.

Guest nickwaring

Toyota-F1, the problem is that I don't want to have to go through a number of menu's each time I get in the car to use the GPS software... All I want to do is use a shortcut to start the GPS and just drive!

At the risk of going off topic another solution would be to have a memory resident uitlity which polls the AC_LINE_STATUS data

I was taking a look inside the registry and found a value "ACTimeout".. I can't find a settings field which adjusts it and mading a change directly in the registry doesn't do what you'd expect (i.e. Affect the timeout when it's plugged into AC Power) :-(

Oh well!