8390 & TMobile ...

Guest the bishop

Guest the bishop

now my old settings don't work well either.

d@mn it, should not have changed settings. that will learn me. also heard tmo is having woes or some such.

Guest the bishop

been talking to a couple tmo pals and they said that if you get the unlim internet @ $20/mo it solves these issues ... ?

Guest martin

What I would probably do is to clear the internet history.

In IE goto Menu-Options-Memory.

Clear cookies and History

Restart phone.

Check the IPSM memory and delete any redundant WAVS, homescreens and programs stored on the phone. Use Setting - Remove programs.

Then try the sites again - especially those with no pictures.

Guest the bishop

sweet. yeah, I'm being more open about what needs to be done on it. I'm goin to try Celestials settings, AFTER I clear all and reboot.

Guest the bishop

just another question, but how long does it take normally for sites to pop up? I've removed all settings, rebooted, input the new settings, rebooted (and cleared cache, cookies as well) ...

I try to go to google, and the little windows flag is moving, but nothing is popping up ... and the screen has gone to blank it's taken so long ... I have only 1 bar connection, perhaps that's the problem?

Guest the bishop

btw ... on HoFo it has a big thread about WAP 2.0 working ... isn't that using HTTP directly, and not wap? and if so, would that be the reason I had port 8080 on there for the proxy?

Guest the bishop

also -- cool news is that those settings of yours now work again which is cool, but the google search still does not work, nor does the tzones2 ... :)

any ideas? can any of you try to browse to both of those and see if either/neither of them work?

Guest martin
I try to go to google, and the little windows flag is moving, but nothing is popping up ... and the screen has gone to blank it's taken so long ... I have only 1 bar connection, perhaps that's the problem?
One signal bar could certainly be a problem although it only states that you have a RX level below a threshold. You would need something like Network Monitor to define your actual signal quality which unfortunately the smartphones don't have. It would be worth you trying the same tests in an area of strong signal.

btw ... on HoFo it has a big thread about WAP 2.0 working ... isn't that using HTTP directly, and not wap? and if so, would that be the reason I had port 8080 on there for the proxy?

Yes, if you are using proxy port 8080 then it will use HTTP but this to accomodate WAP 2.0 phones.

AFAIK using the WAP connection (+ proxy server)

If Port 8080, Type=HTTP then use http://www.google.com/wml

If Port 9201, Type=WAP then use wsp://www.google.com/wml

To force the WAP+proxy connection then you might have to untick 'Auto detect settings' and make set 'Select Network: WAP network' in Internet Explorer (especially when using port 8080).

the google Search still does not work, nor does the tzones2 ...

The google search shouldn't be a problem :? Maybe it has difficulty responding back to you on the GPRS connection. Yet again I would try this in another area with a stronger signal.

I would imagine that T-zones will only be accessed via the WAP proxy server. Also you might have a problem if T-zones detects the phone type and has smartphone as not recognised. A program called WebWapSelect was very handy for changing the phone type and fooling the site into giving access. Also did you try http://wap.myvoicestream.com/#main which might actually bypass the phone detection ? (remember to set IE WAP network only)

Guest the bishop

ok, this is what is confusing me. I don't know which goes through which.

is it like this:

phone -> GPRS settings (makes connection to TMo) -> WAP settings (tells TMo GPRS how to process data) -> website

or is it something else?

I found another thread on HoFo talking about WAP 2.0 phones needing to use port 8080 (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380883) and I'm leaning towards that again, as I recall 8080 was working for me on things, I just need to know in which order these work ...

Guest the bishop

well i'll be d@mned -- after taking some of martins things, and some of celestials and also some on Hofo, I think I found a winner that works on all things ... it's working on Google now (http://) and coming back with the replies, and even Tzones2 (tagtag.com/tzones2) is working so I think I've gotten it.

If anyone wants me to post what combos I have, let me know and I'll write it up. . .

Guest martin
it's working on Google now (http://) and coming back with the replies, and even Tzones2 (tagtag.com/tzones2) is working so I think I've gotten it.
Waahay :)/

If anyone wants me to post what combos I have, let me know and I'll write it up. . .
Yeah, go for it :lol:

It also might help other people who search and find this topic.

• 1 month later...
Guest the bishop

so I got my phone back, and damned if I didn't post my original ones that worked... now I get to go thru it all over again. sucks.

Guest the bishop

ok, back on again -- that was easier than I thought, now that I understand more fully what WAP / GPRS and the settings for such do. Anywho, the ONLY site I seem to not be able to access is the "Tzones2" site -- http://tagtag.com/tzones2/ <-- I'm wondering if anyone can access this site, and if so, are there others that are like that one? I know that tagtag.com site is S-L-O-W alot of the time ...