i600 mess after hard reset

Guest ppmnt

Guest ppmnt

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a bind here... last week my i600 just hung and wouldn't boot for about 10 minutes. Finally it came back up, but it had done a strange thing to itself: it basically did a hard reset without losing any data!

While this didn't seem a problem at first I quickly realized that it was a pain: any applications I had installed were still there, but it didn't know they were there. That is, they didn't show up in 'Remove Programs', they were all expired, I couldn't register them, etc.

Finally, today I decided to do a hard reset myself and just start over. I assumed that after a hard reset the phone will be returned to the state it was in when I first got it. So I tried re-installing the updates from the Samsung website (MSN Messenger, Caller ID, and registery). They will not install, giving the following error message:

Error

Your current Operator region's ROM version is 3.0.31113.0. IPSMWindowsStart MenuAccessoriesOPERATOR.xdp cannot be installed because the ROM version does not match your device. You must obtain the ROM update file that matches your region.

Note that this is the same OPERATOR.xdp file I had used previously without any issues. So I thought maybe it somehow kept those updates, and attempted to re-install applications I had previously. I tried Orneta Notepad, which installed fine before (since the registry patch from Samsung was applied) and get the permission error, which implies that the patch is NOT installed.

What to do next? :?:

Guest ppmnt

That sounds like a much bigger effort to me than looking around on the internet... Especially since they usually just have sales guys in the stores. I called Verizon tech support and the level 2 tech referred me to Samsung. Luckily I figured it out before I sat on hold there...

Bot the MSN Messanger update and the Caller ID update will change your ROM version number, meaning that even a hard reset will not remove them. However, the Registry fix only does not reflash your ROM, so you only have to re-install that after a hard reset. Then you can re-install your apps.

I was hesitant to do that at first as the registry fix is dependent on the previous updates, but taht's the solution. :roll: That was way to easy for me to spend that much time on it. :D