how to upgrade smartphone 2002-->smartphone 2003 for spv?

Guest nease

Guest squall

Not possible really. A few people have managed to do this (its really not easy) but theres not enough memory to run the newer OS satisfactorly. Not to mention its not something that can be done by 99.9% of smartphone users

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest awarner [MVP]

2003 for the SPVE100 is not publically available and the only version

that is around is a beta test copy and not complete.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest meatgrinder

yep, many games wont run, only a few mb ram free, runs pretty poor :P

ow, and its irreversible, no way to change back if u do change it.

Dave

Guest nease

Someone upgrades spv from sp2002 to sp2003 successfully, and the rest of memory is over 5MB, most of program which run on sp2003 can run on upgraded spv. The version of sp2003 is a beta test copy. hehe.

Guest lanrover

Ok. I have an SPVX1 (a.k.a canary) a hand me down and it had WM2003 some beta version. I have been trying to go back to the Orange ROM for this but have been very unsuccessful. I have tried the Qtek and Imate and yet not sucessful.

If you know how to do this can you post it. BTW I only have the Boxwave sync cable with me and a laptop with Active sync 3.7.1 installed. Is this possible with these 2 to get the downgrade to the WM2002 ROM ? I am able to get to the Canary bootloader and after that I start the TRRU.exe or the CA....exe but both fail after about 20 seconds. Am I missing something ?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest castravete

so is there any posibilities that it would work the sp2003 on a spv classic i am interesed for the java stuff because the ibm (mitac one) works bad and only a few apps are running on the phone and also it kill the memory on the phone i found the upgrade to 2003 but it seems that is for compal and i would not like to risk the phone even that i am a electronist and i fix this kind of stuff (gsm and many others)anyone who wants the sp2003 for compal email me

Guest castravete
Someone upgrades spv from sp2002 to sp2003 successfully, and the rest of memory is over 5MB, most of program which run on sp2003 can run on upgraded spv. The version of sp2003 is a beta test copy. hehe.
have u done it?

Guest castravete

u cant install sp 2003 on spv spve100 because of the memory its too small it has only 16 mb of sd ram the chinede model dopod 515 have 32 mb of sdram and sp2003 mayghbe a way to change the sdram from the phone PHISICALLY!!!!!!! I WOULD DO IT SOON PROBABLY

Guest squall

in theory that may be possible, provided the current mobile hardware knew how to handle it, and you are nifty with surface soldered components.

Ignoring all that the major issue you'd have is getting the extra memory. Id guess it would be cheaper to buy a c500

Guest castravete

i have tried to get the same memory chip that the HTC use but it seems to be unavailable but it exists and the biggest one is 128 MB i will try to find one if i could and is no problem 4 me to change the BGA processors and many other circuits i am an microelectron ist not a boot-maker:-))

Guest castravete

ohh and i cant buy a C500 because i live in a east europeean country ROMANIA and the orange company here does not comercialize this kind of phone or any of the spv

Guest skechers

Hi everyody. I come from China. I am using the Orange SPV with Smartphone 2002 with version 3.0 (build 13258). Also using the same Chinese model Dopod 515 with smartphone 2003 with version 4.20.0

(build 13237) which free-upgraded from Dopod company last month.I find out SPV show Total Storage 7.05 MB. Total Memory 12.63 MB. And Dopod 515 show Total Storage 8.44 MB. Total Memory 21.81 MB.

I think that's why SPV can not upgrade to smartphone 2003......... ^_^

• 1 month later...
Guest ray72ro

2003 on 2002 is working really bad (less battery life, less free memory, working slow). I tried to come back to WN2002 but unsuccessful. Now I have BL 2.00-2003. Can somebody tell me how to do that? I have a QTEK 7070.

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest SpvClassicuser2
EDIT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I try to install wm2003 on my spv classic but first you have to downgrade

now i am running bootloader 1.6. But how can i downgrade ...

Guest squall

there are posts on downgrading on modaco, but if you cant figure it out i would suggest its best not to try to upgrade to 2003, its not easy to do, and you dont want to be left with a papaerweight do you :)

• 1 year later...
Guest awarner [MVP]

That is an old subject and even older that the original post here.

All that link shows is the beta leaked copy of 2003 on the old SPV.

Don't forget the Original SPV does not have enough memory to make upgrading worthwhile.

Later on dopod 515 was released with an increased SDRAM doubling it to a 32MB which was comparable to the HTC Voyager. This increase enabled the operating system to be upgraded to 2003.

Qtek then went one further with the 6080 which doubled the memory again to 64MB but this device does not appear to have been released and depending where you read the info some sites claim it was only 24MB which is more realistic for the device.

Guest schnarch

Hello,

i bought an Dopod 515 last week (Legends may sleep, but never die ;) ). The WM2003 Rom does only support chinese T9. So a tried to make a backup with a Voyager Rom - unsuccessfull (0%) :cry:

The Bootloader Version of the chinese ROM was 0.93, so I could only backup to the Tanager WM2002-ROMs (Qtek 1.50.9.1 or Orange 1.6.4.10).

Now i've got an WM2002 Rom on my Dopod and can't backup back to WM2003. I tried to copy the bootloader of a E200 with usbterm but the result was negative.

Has anybody an idea where i can get a WM2003-Rom for my Dopod 515 (but without chinese T9).

Greetz Daniel (from Germany)

Guest awarner [MVP]

There is not a 2003 ROM available for the canary unless dopod released an update, but as far as I am aware they have not done so.

The Voyager and Canary bootloaders are not compatable so you could easily kill your phone if you are not careful playing with USBterm.