Q. for WM2003 upgraders....why do it?

Guest dapunk

Guest dapunk

So let me get this straight cause my mpx 200 will be here in a few days and i have the WM2003 rom on my pc ready to be installed but I am thinking why bother?????

WM2002: does what it says, maybe a little slow

WM2003 web roms: huge battery problem, NO mms, T9 had a crappy english dictionary, no real innovation over 2002.........

are any of the 2003 roms worth it? if so, which one, the last one on msmobiles that is preset english or the earlier one, or some one i am not aware of?

thanks,

i look forward to my mpx and the community!

Guest TANKERx

The battery problem is pretty much fixable by hard resetting the phone when it's fully charged, but what makes me regret the decision is the broken reliability of GPRS, and the fact that it looks like that poor reliability has followed me to the 2002 images I've tried :-(

Guest Robuis

I did the upgrade, and it was a huge improvement. I also fixed the English issue, the gsm stack, and did the hard reset to correct the battery issue. I think for someone who just uses there mpx200 as a phone it's not worth it. However I'm impressed with the clear type, and the media player. I use my mpx200 for the web and as an mp3 player. The 2002 media player is junk if you close the phone it skips and it skips mid song. I don't use T9 so that's not an issue for me. I think for me it comes down to a freedom issue its my phone I bought it because it was the most technically advanced phone at the time. Now it still is thanks to the ROM. I still don't understand why ATT is not listening to there customers, especially the mpx200 customers. The only thing I could ask for now is an unlimited data plan. T-Mobile may win me over with that. Today I ripped and encoded Orange County transferred it to my mpx200, 101M watched the whole thing bat went down to 63%. That beats some laptops. Very pleased.

Guest Robuis

I did the upgrade, and it was a huge improvement. I also fixed the English issue, the gsm stack, and did the hard reset to correct the battery issue. I think for someone who just uses there mpx200 as a phone it's not worth it. However I'm impressed with the clear type, and the media player. I use my mpx200 for the web and as an mp3 player. The 2002 media player is junk if you close the phone it skips and it skips mid song. I don't use T9 so that's not an issue for me. I think for me it comes down to a freedom issue its my phone I bought it because it was the most technically advanced phone at the time. Now it still is thanks to the ROM. I still don't understand why ATT is not listening to there customers, especially the mpx200 customers. The only thing I could ask for now is an unlimited data plan. T-Mobile may win me over with that. Today I ripped and encoded Orange County transferred it to my mpx200, 101M watched the whole thing bat went down to 63%. That beats some laptops. Very pleased.

Guest dapunk

do others have the media player problem as well? this is a major problem if its common with WM2002. I too plan to use the mp3 player lots

Guest Navec245

Why upgrade? I'm not sure that people here should be responsible for convincing you do do something that you cllearly are unsure. Its like asking people here what the benefits are of jumping off a bridge. Might be a reasonable suggestion but doesn't mean you follow the crowd!

Having said this, I was hesitant about the upgrade. The only reason for me is that I was not sure if I would do it correctly and trash my phone. Which would have been on me. Nevertheless, I am very happy I took the risk.

I love the cleartype. I can see where people were complaining about blurry text but to me is just a bolder font with a 3D effect. I also like the fact that when I use my MP3 player and close the phone I do not get the skipping anymore (like with 2002) I also like the fact that I did not have to manually install file manager, system manager and task manager as I had to do with 2002. And the ability to manage multiple email boxes WITHOUT the need for 3rd party software is great.

I could probably go on and will discover more, but the 2002 OS wasn't that much better in terms of stability in my opinion. I am glad that @non took the time to do this for MPX 200 users, what Verizon is offering to their customers. I don't know who should get more blame,,,AT&T or Motorola, but the fact that this upgrade is available means that the evil empire called Microsoft is not the company scr547ng the customer!

Guest smartbrotha

How did you fix the GSM stack as i am having serious problems?

SmartbrothA

I did the upgrade, and it was a huge improvement. I also fixed the English issue, the gsm stack, and did the http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset to correct the battery issue. I think for someone who just uses there mpx200 as a phone it's not worth it. However I'm impressed with the clear type, and the media player. I use my mpx200 for the web and as an mp3 player. The 2002 media player is junk if you close the phone it skips and it skips mid song. I don't use T9 so that's not an issue for me. I think for me it comes down to a freedom issue its my phone I bought it because it was the most technically advanced phone at the time. Now it still is thanks to the ROM. I still don't understand why ATT is not listening to there customers, especially the mpx200 customers. The only thing I could ask for now is an unlimited data plan. T-Mobile may win me over with that. Today I ripped and encoded Orange County transferred it to my mpx200, 101M watched the whole thing bat went down to 63%. That beats some laptops. Very pleased.

Guest dapunk

I am not asking someone to "convince" me I am simple posing the question. After reading and searching I did not find anyone that has reported significant gains after having the 2003 upgrade.

Point of fact, I tend to early adopt and will most likely put the rom on cause that is what i do. i just want to see if you people out there that did do it are glad. my intention with the topic title was to make sure people that upgraded read it and understood what i was asking.

seems like you can avoid the battery issue, the media player is better, and the system is faster. correct? but does anyone else report bad t9 input? i suppose i can forgoe MMS till somone comes up with a fix for that.

i am really planning to use the mp3 player so it looks like if the battery is ok then the new 2003 rom is the way to go....

and i thank people like the maker of these roms for taking time to offer alternatives to branded and old soft/firmware. SANKS @NONYMOUS

Guest Navec245

Dapunk,

I don't use t9 so for me that feature is not an issue. And the battery life I can see some improvemt, but I also charge every night. I did notice less loss during the day. And the mp3 player is by far more useful to me now. Just the mere fact that when I close the flip I don't get that annoying sound of skipping.

Guest notofthisworld

i mostly use my media player and ie and ever since i upgraded media player runs alot faster and isnt choppy and my internet browsers pulls websites up a lot quicker and displays somethings that the 2002wm didnt. maby its just my phone but these were the improvements i saw.

Guest awarner [MVP]

I upgraded simply to be in a better position to help other users with their upgrade problems etc, As for media player that's something I never use as I prefer Pocket MVP for music and

the excellent BetaPlayer for my film and video files.

Guest Navec245

Pocket MVP

Awarner...how does it perform? Is there a equalizer? Playlist settings? Smooth music play? Thanks. Also, what is the site or link?

Guest gravity

The main reason I upgraded was the .net compact framework, it makes my phone compatable with more applications, and at the end of the day, it's a great thing. I've had my phone for months but I've never used MMS, I think you can fix it just by reinstalling your MMS software. GPRS is fine so far, battery's never been better, it's day 5 and my phone still has 1 bar left, this is with little use of the phone, but the point is, it lasted 5 days without a charge on standby.

So far, nothing negative has come up as a result of this upgrade, and I don't think I'd go back to 2002.

Then again, it is just in my nature to have the best technology possible, and the MPx200 is great for that.

Guest dapunk

just an FYI: you cannot install JMMS on the 2003 rom, it apparently does not work. but as you said, its fine for you.

thanks for the comment gravity

Guest ShinyBill

Weelll... Basically I installed it just because I could, and haven't really looked back! Having had it for a couple of weeks now, I must say the only problem is (you guessed it) battery life. :wink: But then again I didn't strictly follow all the rules for conserving it - at the moment I'm charging up ready for a hard reset!

ClearType starts off a little annoying, but I do find it looks a lot better than before. Media Player is a lot better, and the Task/Resource Manager is very useful.

The biggest problems I have found are the Cartman logo (which can now be fixed but it's too much effort :P ) and the fact that t9 text does not automatically use capitals at the beginning of a SMS...

But overall I would say it was worth upgrading - especially if you are a ringtone junkie like me, as the ringtone features are GREATLY improved :D