Finally getting my phone back!

Guest the bishop

Guest the bishop

Well, after a month I'm finally getting my 8390 back!

I don't know if you all recall my woes. My phone suddenly would not boot up, it would just turn on and lock up. So it took a while, but I finally got in touch with the proper people at Mitac in China.

So I sent my phone off (DOH! on the cost to send from AZ to China) on the 24th of last month. Went USPS and took 8 days to get there, then sat in Customs for over 2 weeks. Ugh.

Finally it got to them this Monday. They had it fixed and sent back out by DHL yesterday, and it's expected to be here again on Monday.

Not too bad for the cost of shipping, and they flashed it with the newest BIOS and all the newest fixes AND replaced my faulty charger.

So .... since I've grown accustomed to using my backup (Inno 90) I am wondering do I sell this while it's still worth a bit, and wait for a phone that's serviced here in the states, or go back to this one ...

decisions, decisions.

Cliff's Notes:

Phone Died.

Sent Phone to get fixed.

Sat in Customs for weeks in China.

Mitac fixed phone.

Coming back.

Guest the bishop

Got a call from DHL - getting it today, which rules, but it cost $150 to send that fast (which I didn't really ask for) DOH!

will have to see what to do from here.

Guest the bishop

surely - I just got it - noticed it doesn't have MMS on here now (damn it) but that the T9 works in English very well (and has smilies too which rules) and also that it includes a wap browser along with the normal one. Where again do I find the bios?

Guest the bishop

this one doesn't have MMS built into it, but it DOES have some odd WAP Browser program as well as MSIE. Also, they left some diag tools on here (that rules) and some Chinese MP3s (huh?) .... finally, I noticed everything is in English, and it's a 'reference' BIOS -- that's what it says when it boots up, has some Intel screen as well. Odd eh?

Guest Celestial
this one doesn't have MMS built into it, but it DOES have some odd WAP Browser program as well as MSIE. Also, they left some diag tools on here (that rules) and some Chinese MP3s (huh?) .... finally, I noticed everything is in English, and it's a 'reference' BIOS -- that's what it says when it boots up, has some Intel screen as well. Odd eh?

It seems that is a "base" updated Smartphone 2003 BIOS. Interesting. That indicates that is the generic OS without any Mitac updates. Does the phone have the "Photo ID" program installed or the Mitac games on it.

If not then that means if we could get a copy of the latest reference Smartphone 2003 we could load it but we would be without the Mitac software. Can you load up PocketTV and see if the GAPI bug is fixed in your firmware?

Guest the bishop

surely - actually it DID have Photo ID program on there and a few of the generic games like Solitaire but otherwise it looks like there wasn't anything else. I'll try loading it before I do the GAPI bug fix and see how it works -- what am I looking for to work/not work?

Guest pwest13

Pocket TV will not run anything if the GAPI bug isn't fixed, Im expecting Pocket TV not to run on your phone or I will be contacting Mitac.

Westy

Guest markgamber

Contacting them for what, to tell you "We are regrettable, but it meaning that we do not worry that greatly in about following smartphone which we have used it does not have the support for your present smartphone."? :-D

Guest Celestial

Bishop DO NOT install the GAPI bugfix...Install PocketTV and let us know if it works. I am curious to see if the bugfix is in new ROM.

Hmmm, the Photo ID program was installed on my phone when I got it so it may be standard.

I am pretty sure you have a "generic" OS I am just curious if the updated ROM contains the fix. I sent an email to Mitac about the ROM and they said I should go to my distributor to get it updated.

They didn't say they didn't have one they just said to go back to where I got the phone to get it.

Which coincides with another thread (maybe here) about a distributor which had an updated ROM which was providing an upgrade service. Unfortunately, it was in HK.

Guest the bishop

I'll try that tonight when I get home -- have not installed the GAPI bugfix yet, so once it's installed, PocketTV should NOT work, right?

Guest martin
I'll try that tonight when I get home -- have not installed the GAPI bugfix yet, so once it's installed, PocketTV should NOT work, right?

I think Celestial wants you install and run PocketTV BEFORE installing the GAPI bugfix so that the new ROM can be tested for any MITAC fix.

Guest the bishop

I'm an idiot - I have NO idea what my last post meant even after I just read it... what I was saying was that w/o the GAPI fix PocketTV should not have worked ... but...

-- I installed and ran PocketTV and an MPEG I found on the website it talks about and it worked perfectly w/o the GAPI fix, so I'm guessing it has been fixed with at least the version on my phone ... what else should I try? emulators or something?

If there is a way for me to get this into a file to share, tell me and I will do that. . .

Guest the bishop

ok, the SmartNES works fine - I played Super Mario 3 and the full arcade version of Donkey Kong, and they were a "tad" slower than I remember them, but overall works great! GAPI must be fixed then in this ROM.