Sign in to follow this  
.\\ad .\\ax

Any way to modify/delete system files on WM2003?

Hi All,

Is there any way, using a tool/registry hack/security profile hack/whatever to modify system files? I've got WM03 on an i600 and can't touch system files. Resco explorer can't modify the file attributes and ActiveSynch won't even let you copy the damn file off the phone (though you can duplicate the file on the phone and modify/copy the duplicated file).

Any ideas? What would be nice is a command prompt on the phone similar to cmd in XP.

Welcome to the site :P

It is not worth altering the system files in the main Windows folder

as it gets re-written on every startup.

Thanks.

I'm not trying to modify anything under windows as I know those files are rewritten on startup and any new files are removed upon startup. I'm actually trying to modify my normal.prof.xml (for example) file under /storage/application data/profiles. I've also tried modifying default shortcuts under /storage/windows/start menu to no avail. Any file anywhere with a system attribute can't be modified/deleted.

Any help?

I believe I am trying to do something similar and having the same problem. I wanted to reorganized all the stuff in the Start folder into something that was more logical for me, but when I try to move most of the files, I get an error message saying I can't.

I've got a similar problem in that I accidentally copied a thumb.db file onto my storage card and haven't been able to delete it since (as it's marked as a system file). I could possibly reformat but don't want to if I can help it.

Anyone?

Pondrew

Rename the file extension to something like .jpg then reboot

the phone. Now you should be able to delete the unwanted file.

Pondrew

Rename the file extension to something like .jpg then reboot

the phone. Now you should be able to delete the unwanted file.

:? Smartexplorer couldn't do it. Message 'An error occured. The file or folder may be read-only or you don't have enough privileges!'

EDIT: You the man Awarner! I was able to both rename and delete it using activesync explore.