Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest feoysolo
I'm Back :)

Sorry for the long absence. I've been busy making commercial emulation products.

To answer some of your questions:

1) The save file format used in SmartGear is my own and will not work with other programs.

2) I now have a Motorola Q and Palm TreoW, so I will make them work with SmartGear.

3) I am working on a Desktop PC version of SmartGear. It's 99% functional and it's interface can be driven 100% from a keyboard or joystick. Does this interest anyone?

4) I still don't have a solid plan on how to sell the code (I'd like to), but I can still have many of you as beta testers.

5) I've fixed several things with the GameGear (Z80 bugs) and GameBoy. Please keep sending info about games which won't run properly.

Thanks,

Larry Bank

[email protected]

I personally would love a desktop emulator for those times when I just cannot get past a section of a game with my cramped SDA keypad for whatever reason. Also I would love to be a beta tester for any and all emulators if it's still possible.

Thanks.

Guest feoysolo
also i was wonderin if maybe there could be an option so sega genesis games or any other games fit on the screen perfectly in a square aspect ratio. in masteralls emulator picodrive didnt look bad at all when it was fitted into a square aspect ratio.

If you're going to do this like masterall did with the genesis emulator would you please make it an option that can be turned off? I'm a projectionist by trade and things in the wrong aspect ratio drive me absolutely insane.

Thanks.

Guest bitbank
If you're going to do this like masterall did with the genesis emulator would you please make it an option that can be turned off? I'm a projectionist by trade and things in the wrong aspect ratio drive me absolutely insane.

Thanks.

I've got that covered. In the newest code I allow 3 video options (100%, 150% (with smoothing) and fit-to-window.

The 100% option will trim the edges (e.g. Genesis) if it doesn't fit and center it if it does.

I've got Moto Q support partially done and boy what a slow and terrible device it is for playing games :)

It's strange how a 195Mhz OMAP can seem fast on the T-Mobile SDA and slow on the Moto Q.

Anyhow... I will be happy to take beta testers (who will get a free registration) once I release a new build and start getting bug reports. I hope to have a new build ready by Monday (Feb 12) at the latest.

My "accurate" YM2610 emulator is very slow, so I may try using my crappy, but fast YM2610 to allow Genesis to run full speed on the smartphone. With the FM sound disabled, my Genesis emulator runs very well on the SDA.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
I've got that covered. In the newest code I allow 3 video options (100%, 150% (with smoothing) and fit-to-window.

The 100% option will trim the edges (e.g. Genesis) if it doesn't fit and center it if it does.

I've got Moto Q support partially done and boy what a slow and terrible device it is for playing games :D

It's strange how a 195Mhz OMAP can seem fast on the T-Mobile SDA and slow on the Moto Q.

Anyhow... I will be happy to take beta testers (who will get a free registration) once I release a new build and start getting bug reports. I hope to have a new build ready by Monday (Feb 12) at the latest.

My "accurate" YM2610 emulator is very slow, so I may try using my crappy, but fast YM2610 to allow Genesis to run full speed on the smartphone. With the FM sound disabled, my Genesis emulator runs very well on the SDA.

L.B.

great work bitbank i cant wait till this is out and try it! :D :D :D :)

u can tell im excited. i love emulators on phones

will genesis have Z80 sound support?

also are the buttons gonna be re made so the select button doesnt have to be replaced as the C button on the genesis?

do u think SNES or maybe even GBA will ever be supported?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest Yves_hong

Hello i'm interrested in testing you GBEmu , I've got a Samsung-i320 (Landscape,240*320,Intel 406 Mhz) .

If the GBA is emulated it would be very very nice ! (Advance Wars , Golden Sun...)

Good Work ! It feel strange when I see that it wouldnt be free, in fact Masterall works for free ... , but if the work is perfect why not :D it's your choice :)

Guest mikeeey
Hello i'm interrested in testing you GBEmu , I've got a Samsung-i320 (Landscape,240*320,Intel 406 Mhz) .

If the GBA is emulated it would be very very nice ! (Advance Wars , Golden Sun...)

Good Work ! It feel strange when I see that it wouldnt be free, in fact Masterall works for free ... , but if the work is perfect why not :D it's your choice :)

i can understand why it costs. its cuz the speeds are so much better and u get better framerate.

1 more day left till monday =). cant wait to test it out

Guest bitbank

The new code (version 0.20) is available here:

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear.zip

Please read the readme.txt file for more info.

I have made some structural changes which may break some things, but overall it appears to run reasonably well. It should work again on older smartphones like the SPV C500 (please let me know). The main effort in this release was to offer support for the Motorola Q (and other landscape devices) as well as some new video display options.

I will be giving registrations to people who submit unique bugs. Please email me with your bug reports ([email protected]).

Enjoy.

Edited by bitbank

The new code (version 0.20) is available

Please read the readme.txt file for more info.

I have made some structural changes which may break some things, but overall it appears to run reasonably well. It should work again on older smartphones like the SPV C500 (please let me know). The main effort in this release was to offer support for the Motorola Q (and other landscape devices) as well as some new video display options.

I will be giving registrations to people who submit unique bugs. Please email me with your bug reports ([email protected]).

It works fine on SPV C600, my reg still works, unfortunally, no video options availables, and no full screen anymore ! fouck the C500

Edited by ninjaw

Guest bitbank
It works fine on SPV C600, my reg still works, unfortunally, no video options availables, and no full screen anymore ! fouck the C500

Ninjaw, please check the settings dialog (scroll down) and see that there is a video size option (100%, 150%, fit-to-win, fit-to-win*).

L.B.

Ninjaw, please check the settings dialog (scroll down) and see that there is a video size option (100%, 150%, fit-to-win, fit-to-win*).

L.B.

As i said, i see the line, but absolutly no options available

Guest bitbank
As i said, i see the line, but absolutly no options available

Thats very odd. I tested this on the MPX200 (with SP2003), Moto Q, T-Mobile SDA and HP 2115 PPC and all are able to choose different video sizes.

Is anyone else not able to use the video size options?

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
Thats very odd. I tested this on the MPX200 (with SP2003), Moto Q, T-Mobile SDA and HP 2115 PPC and all are able to choose different video sizes.

Is anyone else not able to use the video size options?

L.B.

nope. cant see orentation, video size, or audio rate. i see the same thing as shown in that picture, only its not blue, its white. im using a t-mobile sda

Edited by mikeeey

Guest Zigmund
nope. cant see orentation, video size, or audio rate. i see the same thing as shown in that picture, only its not blue, its white. im using a t-mobile sda

same here on my blackjack - but i can change the options just by 'imagining' the cursor is on a changeable value hehe..

sent ya an email with this and another bug.

Guest burn0ut

Hi bitbank

same here on my Samsung i320n

but I can change video size and screen orientation through registry settings.

So works fine in landscape mode and fit to window.

Could you tell me the registry values for sound sample rate?

thanks

Guest mikeeey
same here on my blackjack - but i can change the options just by 'imagining' the cursor is on a changeable value hehe..

sent ya an email with this and another bug.

lol if i think i know what ur talking about, i can do that to. u can still adjust the values but u cant see it. for example u can go to video size, switch ur typing to numbers (123, t9. abc, etc) and type 320, wich will automaticly make the resolution 320x240.

Guest bitbank

I was able to reproduce and fix the problem with the settings dialog. The "nointegralheight" option was not set and this caused the listboxes to disappear depending on the color/font scheme selected for the phone.

Attached is version 0.21 which fixes this problem. Please give it a try.

Thanks,

Larry B.

smartgear.zip

I was able to reproduce and fix the problem with the settings dialog. The "nointegralheight" option was not set and this caused the listboxes to disappear depending on the color/font scheme selected for the phone.

Attached is version 0.21 which fixes this problem. Please give it a try.

Thx you it works now.

more than 11Hz is soooooo better sound now

disapointed by Fit2Win* really ugly, but 150% was just cool

Guest mikeeey

everything seems much better now! :)... except 1 thing, the sound is all skippy now, at any option i set it to it always skips.

EDIT: when i turn throttle framerate off it stops doing the skipping thing, but its oto fast when its turned off.

on the older version it didnt do this.

is that happening with anyone else?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest mikeeey
Thx you it works now.

more than 11Hz is soooooo better sound now

disapointed by Fit2Win* really ugly, but 150% was just cool

do u mean Fit2Win? rather than Fit2Win*? Fit2Win* looked great. Fit2Win was more disorted on some games, wich i really dont mind. on other games tho it seemed fine, like space invaders.

O and bitbank on the genesis games Fit2Win should make the height a little bigger, somewhere inbetween Fit2Win and Fit2Win*. like 240x240 size. cuz right now its kind of small.

and when will the menu be accessable during gameplay?

do u mean Fit2Win? rather than Fit2Win*? Fit2Win* looked great. Fit2Win was more disorted on some games, wich i really dont mind. on other games tho it seemed fine, like space invaders.

no

Guest bitbank

FYI: Fit-to-win fills the entire display with the game and shrinks or grows the image to make it fit, but will stretch too much in one direction just so that the entire display is covered. Fit-to-win* fits the video to the entire display, but maintains the original aspect ratio so that the video doesn't look oddly stretched, but it will leave black bars above or to the sides of the image depending on the game emulator chosen.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
FYI: Fit-to-win fills the entire display with the game and shrinks or grows the image to make it fit, but will stretch too much in one direction just so that the entire display is covered. Fit-to-win* fits the video to the entire display, but maintains the original aspect ratio so that the video doesn't look oddly stretched, but it will leave black bars above or to the sides of the image depending on the game emulator chosen.

L.B.

why must there be black bars?

o and once u support saving is that when the menu in-game will be supported too?