Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank
Found it (TurboGrafx-16 Problem) !!!

One of those boundary conditions. The RTS and RTI instructions both pop the PC from the stack, but the RTS instruction adds 1 after popping the PC. The problem is that I need to use the PC to lookup the offset in the huc6280 memory map based on the top 3 bits of the address (0x2000 byte pages). The games with the problem were returning to address xFFF which caused it to lookup the wrong page offset.

I'll have a new build up later today with the fix.

L.B.

New build is up with the fix for the NES sound and the TG16 problems:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear_ppc.exe

www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear_sp.exe

There are still some problems with the installers that I'm trying to correct. When I "fix" the problems in the WISE script, the CAB file fails to install a shortcut in the \Games folder. I will need to waste more time researching this issue.

L.B.

Guest jmacdonald801
New build is up with the fix for the NES sound and the TG16 problems:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear_ppc.exe

www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear_sp.exe

There are still some problems with the installers that I'm trying to correct. When I "fix" the problems in the WISE script, the CAB file fails to install a shortcut in the \Games folder. I will need to waste more time researching this issue.

L.B.

When you say fixed NES sound, I assume by that you mean the pitch.

My sound still skips (all roms), but it is not the annoying popping sound it made before you implemented 16-bit sound.

-James

Guest mikeeey
mikeey,

Could you tell me what settings you are using in smartgear, and what tom you are using on your Tilt?

I'm running a slightly modified AT&T Tilt Rom from XDA-developers that has all the boatware removed, a new core o.s. and radio.

No other programs have audio issues, but perhaps in the case of smartgear, this rom is not helping.

-James

yep, heres my settings

sshot000.bmp

Edited by mikeeey

Guest PolloLoco
Hi Pollo,

I played the Legend of Kage for a few minutes and didn't see any problems. Can you please be more specific? Screenshot please :( ?

Thanks,

L.B.

P.S. Today I'm fixing the ARM TG16 problem.

Hello Bitbank,

I'm not really worried about Legend of Kage specifically, but if it'll help you out, I'll try to figure out how to get a screenshot. What program would you suggest? The screen gets intermittently garbled with blocks and pixels as soon as my character starts moving. Perhaps it's something unique to my phone - which also explains the same distortion after saving TG16 games.

As for TG16, I've noticed a few more games play now. Legendary Axe 2 is still slow - but I found out something VERY interesting. If I click off "throttle framerate" - it runs way too fast! So I think that for some reason, it's getting throttled down below it's correct running speed. Without throttling is the best option for me - so now I feel I can comfortably get rid of XPCE. Yours is definitely the best TG16 emulator with the most compatibility I've found.

Found it (TurboGrafx-16 Problem) !!!

One of those boundary conditions. The RTS and RTI instructions both pop the PC from the stack, but the RTS instruction adds 1 after popping the PC. The problem is that I need to use the PC to lookup the offset in the huc6280 memory map based on the top 3 bits of the address (0x2000 byte pages). The games with the problem were returning to address xFFF which caused it to lookup the wrong page offset.

I'll have a new build up later today with the fix.

L.B.

Great, my games now working.

Hello Bitbank,

I'm not really worried about Legend of Kage specifically, but if it'll help you out, I'll try to figure out how to get a screenshot. What program would you suggest? The screen gets intermittently garbled with blocks and pixels as soon as my character starts moving. Perhaps it's something unique to my phone - which also explains the same distortion after saving TG16 games.

As for TG16, I've noticed a few more games play now. Legendary Axe 2 is still slow - but I found out something VERY interesting. If I click off "throttle framerate" - it runs way too fast! So I think that for some reason, it's getting throttled down below it's correct running speed. Without throttling is the best option for me - so now I feel I can comfortably get rid of XPCE. Yours is definitely the best TG16 emulator with the most compatibility I've found.

What do you mean with few more games ? Which Hucard games are not working ?

Of course, Supergrafx und Super Cdrom games are not supported.

Edited by annawu

Guest jmacdonald801

Is the sound for turbo graphics games suppose to be workin on HTC devices? Out of curiousity I tried Keith Kourage on my Tilt and I'm getting the same skipping I am getting with NES game, except the gap in the skips is wider and more pronounced. Auto Frame skipping isn't helping any.

-James

Guest PolloLoco
Is the sound for turbo graphics games suppose to be workin on HTC devices? Out of curiousity I tried Keith Kourage on my Tilt and I'm getting the same skipping I am getting with NES game, except the gap in the skips is wider and more pronounced. Auto Frame skipping isn't helping any.

-James

It's working great with my HTC Apache.

And Annawu - you misunderstood me. I meant that the latest updates give me MORE compatibility.

Guest jmacdonald801

Sweet baby Jesus! I figured out how to get the sound working perfect on the Tilt!

bitbank, some time ago I told you I got the sound working in NES games perfectly and I couldn't figure out how to reproduce it. This is before you implemented 16-bit sound.

Well I did figure out how to reproduce this, and it's not NES specific, it seems to be for any system emulation. I'm getting messed up sound in Turbo Graphics games as well.

And get this, this fixes 8-bit sound (horrible clicking) as well.

Ok starting off, I put 0.35 onto my tilt, loaded up Super Mario 1, 3, Final Fantasy... whatever. It doesn't matter what settings you choose for the emulator, the sound wouldn't work perfectly.

Here's how it starts to work. If you used the assigned emulator keys to change the volume either up or down, exit a rom, and re-open the rom, or another rom for the same system emulation, all of a sudden the sound is perfect! This works with 16-bit enable or not! So if I'm playing a nintendo rom, I change the in game volume, exit, open up another nintendo rom and voila! sound is perfect!

Once I go to run another system tho, like TG16, the sound seems to reset to it's messed up state, but the trick works here to. I open up keith kourage, change the in game volume (not the windows mobile volume in the top bar), exit the game, open it again and voila! sound is butter smooth, 8-bit, 16-bit, either way!

If I switch back to a ninendo rom, I have to repeat the change volume trick and re-open the rom a second time.

So is it really HTC devices? Or is there something you are doing with the change volume code that should be execute when any rom is first loaded and executed to initialize the sound properly?

I can't f-ing believe it. After weeks of screwing around I reproduced how I got the sound working On the HTC Tilt.

I've tried it about 10 times now and it works like clockwork.

Does this help?

-James

Guest jmacdonald801

Well I spoke to soon.

I flashed back to the stock AT&T Tilt Rom and I can not longer reproduce properly working sound no matter what I do.

Damn. I'm starting to really resent this device.

-James

Guest jmacdonald801

bitbank,

I've tried 7 different roms on my Tilt trying to see if I can find one that might work well with smartgear, 2 of which for stock AT&T roms. I did have some success with one particular rom and radio version. The volume trick fixed the sound in most cases for 8-bit and 16-bit sound. After I made or received a phone call, the sound would be messed up with either 8-bit or 16-bit sound and no tricks could get it to work. A soft reset fixed it for awhile, but now the clicking with 8-bit, and skipping with 16-bit sound has become permenant no matter what I do.

But I have to ask, if every other application on this device (Tilt) can play sound smoothly, what are you doing that your emulator can't? I really don't understand this one point.

PocketNester for example can play sound just fine but it can't reach full frame rate which is why I want to go with SmartGear...

-James

Edited by jmacdonald801

Guest bitbank
bitbank,

I've tried 7 different roms on my Tilt trying to see if I can find one that might work well with smartgear, 2 of which for stock AT&T roms. I did have some success with one particular rom and radio version. The volume trick fixed the sound in most cases for 8-bit and 16-bit sound. After I made or received a phone call, the sound would be messed up with either 8-bit or 16-bit sound and no tricks could get it to work. A soft reset fixed it for awhile, but now the clicking with 8-bit, and skipping with 16-bit sound has become permenant no matter what I do.

But I have to ask, if every other application on this device (Tilt) can play sound smoothly, what are you doing that your emulator can't? I really don't understand this one point.

PocketNester for example can play sound just fine but it can't reach full frame rate which is why I want to go with SmartGear...

-James

Hi James,

Not sure what the trouble is. I'm using wavoutWrite() which is a very basic sound function to pump out sound at 15 blocks per second. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this seems to work well on all devices and Desktop Windows.

Guest bitbank

I've added some functionality that was requested by several people - the touchscreen controls. I've done it the same way as FinalBurn. Here's a screenshot of the settings window.

CAP1.gif

I've uploaded the new Pocket PC build here (no installer):

SmartGear PPC (no installer)

Please let me know if this works as expected (it appears to). When I've got some feedback that it's working well, I'll create official new builds.

Thanks,

Larry B.

P.S. Next up is cleaning up the installer to work on non-English devices and removing the unused junk.

Edited by bitbank

Guest jmacdonald801
Hi James,

Not sure what the trouble is. I'm using wavoutWrite() which is a very basic sound function to pump out sound at 15 blocks per second. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this seems to work well on all devices and Desktop Windows.

But it doesn't work... at least not on my device. Maybe it's not audio related, but timing related? Is all other software on my device not not using waveoutWrite()? If that's the standard way I doubt it.

It seems interesting, the times it did work, it crackled a couple times and then the sound immediately smoothed out.

There has to be a reason.

Didn't you say you had a Tilt to test with? Does this not happen to you on that device?

-James

Guest bitbank
It's working great with my HTC Apache.

And Annawu - you misunderstood me. I meant that the latest updates give me MORE compatibility.

Pollo,

I just uploaded a new build (0.36) which should correct the problems you had with the installer. Please let me know if it correctly installs in your non-English games folder.

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest bitbank
Dear Larry,

about TG16 emulation:

any chance to support Supergrafx (as example Battle Ace) games ?

Greetings,

Anna

Hi Anna,

It probably wouldn't take too much work to support SuperGrafx games, but apparently there were only 7 ever made.

I'll keep this on my to-do list for when I have some down time.

L.B.

Guest jmacdonald801

Larry, anyone else with a Tilt.

Disable 16-bit sound in Smartgear (or not, either way). If you go into System/Sounds & Notification and turn off "Events (warnings, system events)".

SmartGear will now click horribly with 8-but sound, or skip with 16-bit sound, on the AT&T Tilt, or Kaiser/TyTN II.

If you go back an enable the sound for "Events (warnings, system events)" you can now get the audio to work correctly with either 8-bit, or 16-bit audio.

When I go to open a rom, NES or otherwise, the sound often does not work properly the first time. If I exit the game, and then Go to File/Open, you'll notice the little bloops sound that is made by the O.S., I then go and open the ROM for the second time and voila! The sound is smooth with the 8-bit or 16-bit sound setting in Smartgear. It's not always perfect, sometimes I have to alternate between roms to get the sound to work.

The key thing here is that when my "Events" sounds are turned on, the little audible bloop noise mucks with the Tilt's audio mixing or some such thing, causing Smartgear to emit sound correctly. Why I have to re-open a rom a second time to get the sound to work, I have no clue.

The one thing consistent about all the roms I've tried, is I always turned the Events sound off, that's why I could never reproduce this scenario. I've now reproduced this on 2 roms, and I can say surely this happens on any rom that's out there for the tilt.

Larry, if you have a Tilt, this is something you can try. Turning off "Events (warnings, system events)" seems to make the issue quite prominent, and turning them back on and doing the little trick by loading the rom a second time, should correct the sound. Which with 8-bit sound in Smartgear, sounds just great on my Tilt after this fix.

So what is other software on a Tilt doing to correctly initialize the sound that Smartgear doesn't do? It seems those little system noises the OS makes when I do a File/Open in Smartgear somehow correct the sound issue.

I hope this information is far more helpful than my previous posts. I finally have a scenario I can reproduce with certainty.

At least now I can enjoy the software to it's full extent.

Anyone else with a Tilt, I would like it if you tried this out, don't use 16-bit sound, as it's more obvious when sound is or is not working.

-James

Edited by jmacdonald801

Guest jmacdonald801

Another possible bug, or audio clue.

I've been using 0.35, and one thing I noticed about Smartgear, is when I set the volume level in game, the volume level is not retained the next time I open a rom. The interesting thing is, as soon as I either press on the up or down mapped volume keys, the sound volume suddenly seems to be remembered!

An example... volume on my Tilt is turned all the way up, I play some Super Mario Bros., and turn down the in game volume, almost to the point where's it's completely quiet. I go to load another ROM, and the sound is at full volume all of a sudden, as soon as I press the in-game volume up or down, the volume immediately drops down to where I had previously set it.

I wonder if this happens on other non-Tilt devices, or if this is a clue to the sound issues I'm having on the Tilt.

-James

Guest flotsamjetsam
--Since I haven't been able to load or save I haven't been able to test it but...does resetting still delete the save file?? And also I don't think it is neccessary to have reset mapped to a button..it can be gotten to from the menu and an accidental press whether it deletes the save permanently or not will be frustrating.

I second, third and fourth the reset button thing. Losing all your in game saves is a nightmare and a totally unnecessary option to be able to access with a button press mid game.

Also, just tried out the last version but the video on Zelda, Oracle of Ages is far worse than it is in the old version. Why would the video quality have gotten worse?

I really want to buy registration for this program but these two things are driving me crazy.

Hi Anna,

It probably wouldn't take too much work to support SuperGrafx games, but apparently there were only 7 ever made.

I'll keep this on my to-do list for when I have some down time.

L.B.

Dear Larry,

thanks for your fast reply. :(

This feature will be " unique " on windows mobile devices. It exist some other TG16 emulators but they are not able to run this kind of games.

Maybe a good add to win more customers.

Guest PolloLoco
Pollo,

I just uploaded a new build (0.36) which should correct the problems you had with the installer. Please let me know if it correctly installs in your non-English games folder.

Thanks,

L.B.

Hello Larry,

That wasn't me. I hope you won't confuse me for that other disrespectful guy. I'm a big fan of your work and don't think I complain anywhere near as much.

Thanks Again,

Pollo

Guest bitbank
Hello Larry,

That wasn't me. I hope you won't confuse me for that other disrespectful guy. I'm a big fan of your work and don't think I complain anywhere near as much.

Thanks Again,

Pollo

Sorry about that Pollo. I forgot that it was Ninjaw with the problems...

Well Ninjaw, did the latest build fix the installation issues?

L.B.

Sorry about that Pollo. I forgot that it was Ninjaw with the problems...

Well Ninjaw, did the latest build fix the installation issues?

Wooopppsss I just saw that info, I'll be able to try in 5 to 8 hours.... btw thanx for explaining to me that other emu virtual keypad lol.