Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank
When I try to manually define a key, it doesn't matter where I click on the touchscreen, it just beeps at me and ignores me. I can define keys to hardware buttons, but alas I have so few of those. Maybe a bluetooth controller? Anyway, I can reset the key definitions to defaults, and enable on screen keys. The on screen keys display fine, but the game does not load (top half of screen is black, no sound, bottom displays on screen keys which appear to do nothing). If I fiddle with it the best I can get it to do is display PAUSED (the emulator, not the game) and selecting "Resume" from the menu only returns that black screen with the on screen keys.

I look forward to your next build!

Defining keys is for physical keys/buttons only. On screen controls are fixed. I'll try to get a new build out tonight, but I'm not seeing these issues on any of my devices.

L.B.

Guest bitbank
TG16= NEC TurboGrafix 16

SH2=Sega Genesis Generation 2 (the most common version of the system)

SH3=Sega Genesis Generation 3 (the "broken" system not actually made by Sega, the crummiest of them all)

SH1 = Splatter House (original) coin-op version. There is a port of it to TurboGrafx-16.

SH2 = Splatter House 2. A second version of the game which runs on Genesis

SH3 = Splatter House 3. A third version of the game which runs on Genesis. This is the easiest to play because of the spinning kick move (face enemy, press direction away, toward, then action).

L.B.

Guest bitbank
I'd be less interested in CPS1 emulation - largely because Finalburn (from Masterall on this forum), handles CPS1, CPS2 and Neo Geo emulation perfectly. It's the best overall emulator I've ever tried.

For that reason, I'd like to see you work on stuff that others haven't worked on - or doesn't currently work well for Windows Mobile. Like MAME, GBA, Amiga or SNES - though I understand the difficulty in working those projects.

I'm going to take a look at Final Burn on my Touch Pro 2. It's probably still worth emulating those games because mine will run faster :huh:.

No need for MAME; I've emulated 350 titles with my own code. I need to decide which coin-op titles are best to release as parts of SmartGear.

L.B.

Guest Alexvrb
TG16= NEC TurboGrafix 16

SH2=Sega Genesis Generation 2 (the most common version of the system)

SH3=Sega Genesis Generation 3 (the "broken" system not actually made by Sega, the crummiest of them all)

I believe SH2/SH3 in this case refers to Splatterhouse 2 and Splatterhouse 3, which are on the Genesis. The versions of Sega Genesis (or Mega Drive) are usually referred to as Model 1, 2, or 3. Although, this can cause confusion with their arcade boards, if you aren't sure to say Genesis/Mega Drive. Sometimes people just call Model 3 (the Majesco unit) Genesis 3, since that is what it says on the front. You can also refer to them by their specific model numbers, which is more precise, but rarely necessary. My model 2 is an MK-1631, IIRC. I think the Model 3 unit is MK-1641.

Also, Model 3 was not crummy. It had some failings (mostly the lack of compatibility with add-ons such as the 32X, Sega CD, and Power Base converters), but at least it used chip(s) (I think there was a single and dual chip variant) that contained actual 68k, Z80, etc processors. The Firecore, Gencore, Retrogen and the Genmobile all use a poor quality emulator running on cheap hardware. There is no 68000 chip or any other Genesis hardware inside them. If they're going to run emulators, they should use a good emulator (they should have hired L.B.!) and hardware fast enough to handle a good emulator. Oh well.

In addition to the Model 3, there was one other hardware-based Genesis. The Sega Radica controller-shaped unit. It uses a "GoAC" (Genesis on A Chip), which has been modded by a few into a sweet portable Genesis, with really good battery life. Of course, you can get decent battery life out of a Nomad too, if you modify it and replace the backlighting with LEDs.

Edit: Despite what some people say, Model 2 and 3 did not remove the Z80. That is not the reason they do not work with the power base converter. Also, technically there was a second model of converter released in europe that works with model 2. Not to mention there are aftermarket converters that should work on model 1 and 2 (but still not model 3, for different reasons) by setting the units into compatibility mode. Thus all model 1 and 2 units can play 99% of Master System games, but not most/all SG-1000/3000 games. My memory is not as clear on that last part as far as "why" but I think it has to do with missing video modes in the Genesis version of the VDP.

Edited by Alexvrb

Guest DrewLight

I'd love to see more Arcade emulation for Windows Mobile. Then again, I'd love to see more *anything* emulation on Windows Mobile. We're running low on emulation developers for Windows Mobile, so I'll take what I can get. Keep up the great work Larry!

Guest bitbank
I'd be less interested in CPS1 emulation - largely because Finalburn (from Masterall on this forum), handles CPS1, CPS2 and Neo Geo emulation perfectly. It's the best overall emulator I've ever tried.

For that reason, I'd like to see you work on stuff that others haven't worked on - or doesn't currently work well for Windows Mobile. Like MAME, GBA, Amiga or SNES - though I understand the difficulty in working those projects.

I gave Finalburn a try on my TouchPro2 and HD2 and I find it hard to believe you would call it "the best overall emulator I've ever tried". The program hasn't been updated in a while, so I understand it has issues with newer devices, but on my devices it's basically unusable. The display only shows 100% scale (tiny) and portrait mode. When the keyboard is open, the display is still stuck in portrait mode. It doesn't understand how to deal with any of the keys, so I'm left with 3 buttons that work: call, back and any key on the keyboard (which all get treated the same). The framerate looked good, but it was hard to tell because it was so small an image. From what I've seen, Finalburn can certainly use replacing by SmartGear.

What device are you running it on that works so well?

L.B.

Guest bitbank

Posted a new build (2.0.9) which fixes a lot of stability issues. Quick load/save is working again and so are a bunch of other things.

www.bitbanksoftware.com/sg.zip

L.B.

P.S. I haven't seen any comments about the wireless controller support. Is anyone using a BGP100 or Zeemote with SmartGear and if so, are you happy with the way it works?

Edited by bitbank

Guest ScreamingFalcon
In addition to the Model 3, there was one other hardware-based Genesis. The Sega Radica controller-shaped unit. It uses a "GoAC" (Genesis on A Chip), which has been modded by a few into a sweet portable Genesis, with really good battery life. Of course, you can get decent battery life out of a Nomad too, if you modify it and replace the backlighting with LEDs.

IF you can find a working Nomad. :huh: That thing was as rare and expensive as NEC's portable TG16 system. OOOOH! We should get Larry to put Atari Lynx support into SG! :P

Guest PolloLoco
I gave Finalburn a try on my TouchPro2 and HD2 and I find it hard to believe you would call it "the best overall emulator I've ever tried". The program hasn't been updated in a while, so I understand it has issues with newer devices, but on my devices it's basically unusable. The display only shows 100% scale (tiny) and portrait mode. When the keyboard is open, the display is still stuck in portrait mode. It doesn't understand how to deal with any of the keys, so I'm left with 3 buttons that work: call, back and any key on the keyboard (which all get treated the same). The framerate looked good, but it was hard to tell because it was so small an image. From what I've seen, Finalburn can certainly use replacing by SmartGear.

What device are you running it on that works so well?

L.B.

I'm running it on an HTC Touch Pro - so it greatly surprises me that you're having problems with a Touch Pro 2. I also kind of chuckled when you said it would run faster on Smart Gear - because Finalburn already runs just about full speed on my Touch Pro. I actually use an overclocking app if I need more speed on a couple Neo Geo titles - like Shock Troopers 2. But normally - I just run stock. It ran even better on my old HTC 6700.

The key issue is a universal issue with the Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 - regardless of program you're running on. On the Touch Pro forums, 2 solutions have been found ages ago - hence no one discusses them anymore. One is to install a program called KforTouchPro that runs in the background and allows you to map keys for ANY software. The other option (which I prefer to use) is a program called "duttythroy Disable xt9" - which eliminates the HTC touch keyboard (other keyboard versions are available) - and then allows you to map keys. Again, the keyboard is not a problem with Finalburn - it's how HTC implemented xt9.

Also - on my Touch Pro, Finalburn runs fullscreen. I open the keyboard, rotate the screen to portrait mode - and then run Finalburn. It runs great, I use the keyboard for controls, with autofire. It also has touchscreen controls - though I've only ever used them for testing.

Edited by PolloLoco

Guest bitbank
I'm running it on an HTC Touch Pro - so it greatly surprises me that you're having problems with a Touch Pro 2. I also kind of chuckled when you said it would run faster on Smart Gear - because Finalburn already runs just about full speed on my Touch Pro. I actually use an overclocking app if I need more speed on a couple Neo Geo titles - like Shock Troopers 2. But normally - I just run stock. It ran even better on my old HTC 6700.

The key issue is a universal issue with the Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 - regardless of program you're running on. On the Touch Pro forums, 2 solutions have been found ages ago - hence no one discusses them anymore. One is to install a program called KforTouchPro that runs in the background and allows you to map keys for ANY software. The other option (which I prefer to use) is a program called "duttythroy Disable xt9" - which eliminates the HTC touch keyboard (other keyboard versions are available) - and then allows you to map keys. Again, the keyboard is not a problem with Finalburn - it's how HTC implemented xt9.

Also - on my Touch Pro, Finalburn runs fullscreen. I open the keyboard, rotate the screen to portrait mode - and then run Finalburn. It runs great, I use the keyboard for controls, with autofire. It also has touchscreen controls - though I've only ever used them for testing.

When I run Finalburn on my TP2, the display settings screen has the rotated options grayed out and it doesn't try to fill the display. I grabbed the RAR file from the start of the thread here on Modaco. Maybe there is a newer build which fixes this? If it could run fullscreen with the proper orientation, then I would give it a higher rating. It's still worth giving those games the "SG treatment" due to the better performance, wireless controller support, 2 player support, better save/load game options and the few little nice extras like the previously played game options.

Guest PolloLoco
When I run Finalburn on my TP2, the display settings screen has the rotated options grayed out and it doesn't try to fill the display. I grabbed the RAR file from the start of the thread here on Modaco. Maybe there is a newer build which fixes this? If it could run fullscreen with the proper orientation, then I would give it a higher rating. It's still worth giving those games the "SG treatment" due to the better performance, wireless controller support, 2 player support, better save/load game options and the few little nice extras like the previously played game options.

That's really odd, at first I think that it must be an incompatibility with your WVGA screen. But that doesn't explain the lack of options in the menu. Have you been able to load a game at all? Do you have the TGETFILE add on that's on that thread - for loading roms?

Right now - I just ran Finalburn, opened Final Fight, then clicked on the screen, "options" & "Display...". Landscape right is checked, though I could switch to landscape left. I've also got "smooth stretch" and "keep backlight on" toggled. Portrait mode is greyed out, because that game won't fit otherwise - Finalburn looks for the best fit.

I can't explain the Touch Pro 2's incompatibility.

Guest DrewLight

I'm having a difficult time with the latest BETA (this is the first 2.x BETA I've tried). SmartGear launches extremely slow, navigation through the menus are difficult, and if I'm able to get a game to launch, it's so jerky it's nearly unplayable. I'm using an iPAQ hx2750 (624 mhz) with Windows Mobile 5 and between the SD and CF slots, I have ~20 GB storage.

Edited by DrewLight

Guest bitbank
I'm having a difficult time with the latest BETA (this is the first 2.x BETA I've tried). SmartGear launches extremely slow, navigation through the menus are difficult, and if I'm able to get a game to launch, it's so jerky it's nearly unplayable. I'm using an iPAQ hx2750 (624 mhz) with Windows Mobile 5 and between the SD and CF slots, I have ~20 GB storage.

The communication threads (to talk to bluetooth gamepads) waste time on some machines. I haven't figured out why yet. I'll see if I can reproduce this on one of the phones I use. I have a Shadow 2 coming tomorrow; maybe that will show the problem as well.

Guest bitbank

I added a "Coin-op" system to SmartGear and so far it's running Capcom's Ghoul's 'n Ghosts. Here's a quick teaser video showing it running on an HD2. I need to optimize it a bit more, but it runs decently on "lesser" phones. This is all MY code and not borrowed from any other emulator. I've written tons of coin-op emulators and I'll add a few to SmartGear as time permits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbl-7W7BpA

L.B.

Guest bitbank

A SmartGear user just reminded me that I wrote a little wireless mouse program for the PC (Zeemote) and never released it. Here's a copy for you to try:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/private/zeemouse.zip

Run it on a PC with a bluetooth adapter and it will automatically connect to any Zeemote in range. It's just an experiment and I'm not sure what to do with it, but you guys might as well play with it while I figure it out.

L.B.

Guest DrewLight
The communication threads (to talk to bluetooth gamepads) waste time on some machines. I haven't figured out why yet. I'll see if I can reproduce this on one of the phones I use. I have a Shadow 2 coming tomorrow; maybe that will show the problem as well.

I keep Bluetooth off until I need it, just to save battery life. Are those BT communication threads executed even when BT is off? Either way, I'll continue to test.

Glad to see more Arcade support for Windows Mobile. Those of us that have been following the Emulation scene have no doubts about your Arcade emulating abilities, as a matter of fact I believe I am using some of the stand-alones you developed for HanaHo/Namco.

Edited by DrewLight

Guest bitbank
I keep Bluetooth off until I need it, just to save battery life. Are those BT communication threads executed even when BT is off? Either way, I'll continue to test.

Glad to see more Arcade support for Windows Mobile. Those of us that have been following the Emulstion scene have no doubts about your Arcade emulating abilities, as a matter of fact I believe I am using some of the stand-alones you developed for HanaHo/Namco.

You may have hit on the issue right there - I always keep bluetooth turned on. Thanks for posting your setup; I'll take a look tonight and see if that's the issue. From my experience, leaving bluetooth turned on doesn't affect battery life very much. What kills the battery more is the display backlight and using the CPU heavily.

Guest Menneisyys
A SmartGear user just reminded me that I wrote a little wireless mouse program for the PC (Zeemote) and never released it. Here's a copy for you to try:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/private/zeemouse.zip

Run it on a PC with a bluetooth adapter and it will automatically connect to any Zeemote in range. It's just an experiment and I'm not sure what to do with it, but you guys might as well play with it while I figure it out.

L.B.

wowz! thanks for the heads-up. Will give it a try too.

BTW, when do you plan to release a final version of SG so that I can post a lengthy review of it, along with some real-world videos demoing the BT controls? :huh:

Guest bitbank
BTW, when do you plan to release a final version of SG so that I can post a lengthy review of it, along with some real-world videos demoing the BT controls? :huh:

Thanks for bringing up the issue. I guess I need to reduce the feature set to what works well and lock it down for a full release. I'm going to temporarily disable all of the head-to-head networking and just focus on the bluetooth gamepads, cleaning up the settings, documentation, and a few odds and ends (I'll leave the browse feature in for now). I'll set of goal of next Monday for getting to a stable build that can be called an official 2.x release.

L.B.

Guest Skeese

When testing the 2.0.9 Beta, here's what i've found out...

When running any game and going into Define Keys when game is paused, the vertical scroll bar becomes unresponsive when you swype it down, you need to hold the bar down and then swype it down for it to respond, the horizontal bar is not as bad but still lags. When no game is selected and you go into Define Keys from main menu, it still has the same lag.

The Touchscreen On-Screen controls disappear (start and select button) under the game when phone is in portrait and paused on Best Perf or F2W. [tested with Pokemon Silver]

Yu-gi-oh Dark Duel Stories crashes after new game is selected and for some reason the On-Screen controls such as the D-pad do not work on this game.

Turbo Grafx games just do not open, SG exits itself when i try. [tested with Aero Blasters, Air Zonk, Bomberman, R-Type and Raiden]

When i exited SG, my Start Menu and Notifications area disappeared and had to soft-reset my X1 (running stock rom, WM 6.1) [the 2nd time i ran SG, this didn't happen]

Is there an option not to have bluetooth automatically turn on when starting SG?

Edited by Skeese

Guest ScreamingFalcon
SH1 = Splatter House (original) coin-op version. There is a port of it to TurboGrafx-16.

SH2 = Splatter House 2. A second version of the game which runs on Genesis

SH3 = Splatter House 3. A third version of the game which runs on Genesis. This is the easiest to play because of the spinning kick move (face enemy, press direction away, toward, then action).

L.B.

Thanks, Larry. I fergot we were talking about Splatter House, not just the Genesis systems. :huh: Stupid werk, frying my brains...

Guest ScreamingFalcon
Edit: Despite what some people say, Model 2 and 3 did not remove the Z80. That is not the reason they do not work with the power base converter. Also, technically there was a second model of converter released in europe that works with model 2. Not to mention there are aftermarket converters that should work on model 1 and 2 (but still not model 3, for different reasons) by setting the units into compatibility mode. Thus all model 1 and 2 units can play 99% of Master System games, but not most/all SG-1000/3000 games. My memory is not as clear on that last part as far as "why" but I think it has to do with missing video modes in the Genesis version of the VDP.

Although, I do recall reading somewhere that the Model 3 and the CDX both used a very early system on a chip setup which is incompatible with the SMS addon because of the lack of an actual Z80 chip, rather the chip is emulated.

Edited by ScreamingFalcon

Guest jonsmodaco

Hmmm, since installing the beta I've had problems with Smartgear and now it won't work. As I've installed other cabs it's hard to tell if something's conflicting. WM6.5 HTC Touch Pro 2 (Vodafone UK) - Smartgear 'original' and the beta give me "The file smartgear cannot be opened. either it is not signed with a trusted certificate..." message. Before I got this I couldn't get the beta version to open Mega Drive files, only NES, and button pushes weren't registered. Any ideas what to do? I've removed SmartGear and reinstalled the original cab and get the same message.

Thanks.

Guest jonsmodaco
Hmmm, since installing the beta I've had problems with Smartgear and now it won't work. As I've installed other cabs it's hard to tell if something's conflicting. WM6.5 HTC Touch Pro 2 (Vodafone UK) - Smartgear 'original' and the beta give me "The file smartgear cannot be opened. either it is not signed with a trusted certificate..." message. Before I got this I couldn't get the beta version to open Mega Drive files, only NES, and button pushes weren't registered. Any ideas what to do? I've removed SmartGear and reinstalled the original cab and get the same message.

Thanks.

Okay, I've fixed it and am posting in case others get the same thing. In the end I went into the registry, renamed the Bitbank Software registry settings and reinstalled and soft-reset the device. I've lost my settings but at least it works. Looking forward to 2.0.

Guest bitbank

I just uploaded build 2.0.10 which fixes several problems:

1) Sound no longer hangs in Genesis when the settings are not Stereo+16bit.

2) Keyboard now works correctly when paused.

3) Paused game now repaints display correctly.

4) Background threads for networking have been disabled, please let me know if the gui is no longer "sluggish".

5) Removed "use GDI" option since it serves no purpose except to slow things down and cause confusion.

Please let me know if load/save has any problems.

www.bitbanksoftware.com/sg.zip