Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest jonsmodaco

Hi, I just tried the new Beta on my Touch Pro 2 and I like that you can now copy defined keys to all platforms. However, the touchscreen no longer works like it used to - before when the TP2 keyboard is slid out you could tap the screen for Smartgear to pause and you could load/save/exit game. Now I have to close the keyboard to get the file and exit game menu, or even to pause it. I guess this is because of the new touchscreen controls, but an option to disable these would benefit me and other keyboard/touchscreen users.

Thanks.

Guest bitbank
Hi, I just tried the new Beta on my Touch Pro 2 and I like that you can now copy defined keys to all platforms. However, the touchscreen no longer works like it used to - before when the TP2 keyboard is slid out you could tap the screen for Smartgear to pause and you could load/save/exit game. Now I have to close the keyboard to get the file and exit game menu, or even to pause it. I guess this is because of the new touchscreen controls, but an option to disable these would benefit me and other keyboard/touchscreen users.

Thanks.

Double-tap to pause/unpause. I may change this back and abandon the touchscreen controls because I still think it doesn't work well.

L.B.

Guest Skeese

Testing 2.0.10...

When in Game Settings, say for instance you hit the right arrow for Volume, the volume actually decreases in value. It's same for everything else such as Audio Rate etc, and the left arrow increases the values instead. The right arrow usually should imply an increase in value, so i guess this is a bug.

Notifications bar disappeared again but this time i know what caused it, it's after i try and run any Turbo Grafx game, SG exits and my Start icon and notifications bar just seem to disappear, thus requiring a soft-reset.

Will report back if i find anything else...

* Thanks for fixing the sluggish scroll bars in Define Keys

Edited by Skeese

Guest bitbank
Testing 2.0.10...

When in Game Settings, say for instance you hit the right arrow for Volume, the volume actually decreases in value. It's same for everything else such as Audio Rate etc, and the left arrow increases the values instead. The right arrow usually should imply an increase in value, so i guess this is a bug.

Notifications bar disappeared again but this time i know what caused it, it's after i try and run any Turbo Grafx game, SG exits and my Start icon and notifications bar just seem to disappear, thus requiring a soft-reset.

Will report back if i find anything else...

* Thanks for fixing the sluggish scroll bars in Define Keys

I can reverse the spin controls so that arrow keys work in the correct direction - thanks for noticing.

I don't see any problems with TG16 games; can you be specific about what you're trying: phone model, OS ver, audio settings, video settings (e.g. keyboard open/closed/rotated), and name of the game.

SG has to hide the task bar when you're running fullscreen or it will overpaint the game. If SG crashes while playing, the taskbar won't be restored. No need for soft reset, just play a game that works and pause/exit and it will be restored.

L.B.

Guest DrewLight

The Browse feature doesn't seem to be working for me. I can browse to a file, but when I change focus to it SG exits.

Guest Skeese
I don't see any problems with TG16 games; can you be specific about what you're trying: phone model, OS ver, audio settings, video settings (e.g. keyboard open/closed/rotated), and name of the game.

- SE Xperia X1

- WM6.1

- Throttle framerate, Sound, 44khz [also tried 22Khz and with Sound disabled]

- Keyboard closed, Touchscreen controls [also tried with Touchscreen controls disabled]

- Bomberman, R-type, Raiden, Air Zonk, Aero Blasters [games i tried]

*Another bug i've noticed, when in-game and paused going into Settings, the text disappears off the screen to the right [keyboard in, Best Perf, Touchscreen Constrols enabled]

Edited by Skeese

Guest bitbank
The Browse feature doesn't seem to be working for me. I can browse to a file, but when I change focus to it SG exits.

Sounds like you've hit a game that SG doesn't support. Even so, it shouldn't exit. What system (e.g. NES) and what game?

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest bitbank
Testing 2.0.10...

I've tested this and it works the opposite way on WM Std (non-touch) devices. I can reverse the inc/dec, but then the WM Std devices will work backwards. I think I'll leave it alone for now since WM Pro devices can touch the controls and work with the settings more easily than WM Std devices.

L.B.

Guest DrewLight
Sounds like you've hit a game that SG doesn't support. Even so, it shouldn't exit. What system (e.g. NES) and what game?

Thanks,

L.B.

That's what I thought at first, but it happens on every file I attempt to highlight no matter which system, and I'm able to successfully launch the same games through the normal "open" method. As soon as the focus changes to the file and it is highlighted blue, SmartGear exits.

Guest bitbank
That's what I thought at first, but it happens on every file I attempt to highlight no matter which system, and I'm able to successfully launch the same games through the normal "open" method. As soon as the focus changes to the file and it is highlighted blue, SmartGear exits.

I've decided to shelve the browser for now because I want to finalize the 2.0 release with everything working well. It will have to wait for a future version.

Edited by bitbank

Guest jonsmodaco

Thanks Larry for all your feedback on the comments we've sent your way. A new bug is that I can't seem to open Gameboy files on the beta, but I can on the original version, eg, Super Mario Land. The screen goes white in the normal window size but won't load. Thanks (HTC Touch Pro 2, WM6.5).

Edited by jonsmodaco

Guest bitbank

I'm much closer to a 2.0 release build of SG. Here's a new EXE with many things fixed and a few things removed (e.g. File->Browse).

www.bitbanksoftware.com/sg.zip

I have also begun writing documentation which will eventually be accessible from within the program. Please take a look and let me know what you think so far:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/SG_Help.html

Skeese: Your issues with TG16 games should be corrected in this build. I found and fixed problems when running at 270 degrees on 480x800 displays.

Guest DrewLight

I've tried a few Gameboy games that just show a white background when launched (Super Mario Land for example). I thought I read about that happening earlier in this thread, but I can't seem to find it. Is this just a game that is unsupported?

Edit:

Wow, two posts up and I couldn't find it. I was looking for a post from *years* ago when it was only hours ago.

Edited by DrewLight

Guest Skeese
I'm much closer to a 2.0 release build of SG. Here's a new EXE with many things fixed and a few things removed (e.g. File->Browse).

Skeese: Your issues with TG16 games should be corrected in this build. I found and fixed problems when running at 270 degrees on 480x800 displays.

Will test and report back :huh:

UPDATES:

1. Tested and still has same problem :P SG exits when opening a TG16 rom... [keyboard in or out]

2. Found out TG16 games are working with sound disabled, but when enabled and on any Audio Rate, SG exits [keyboard in or out, Touchscreen Controls enabled or disabled]

3. Just played Air Zonk (TG16) game exited itself within less than a minute of gameplay. [with sound disabled, keyboard in, Touchscreen Controls enabled]

Edited by Skeese

Guest bitbank
I've tried a few Gameboy games that just show a white background when launched (Super Mario Land for example). I thought I read about that happening earlier in this thread, but I can't seem to find it. Is this just a game that is unsupported?

I see what you're seeing. Older GB (grayscale) games are not all working correctly. I'll figure out what it is, but in the mean time, try more modern GBC (color) games and they should work.

L.B.

Guest bitbank
Will test and report back :huh:

UPDATES:

1. Tested and still has same problem :P SG exits when opening a TG16 rom... [keyboard in or out]

2. Found out TG16 games are working with sound disabled, but when enabled and on any Audio Rate, SG exits [keyboard in or out, Touchscreen Controls enabled or disabled]

3. Just played Air Zonk (TG16) game exited itself within less than a minute of gameplay. [with sound disabled, keyboard in, Touchscreen Controls enabled]

One thing you didn't mention is the audio settings. One thing I just noticed in the TG16 code is that it assumes stereo and 16-bit audio. If those options are not set, it will trap. I'll correct this in 2.0.12.

L.B.

Guest Skeese

Testing 2.0.12

Sound issues seem to be fixed for TG16 games

UPDATES

1. SG exits after few seconds of starting R-Type (TG16) [sound enabled and disabled, any Orientation, keyboard in, Touchscreen Controls on and off]

Guest bitbank

The todo list to get to a 2.0 official release is getting shorter. One of the items I'd like to tackle is the security model. I've been using Handango/Clickapp/Mobihand's algorithm for compatibility with their sales engines, but since I've closed all of those accounts and will only use paypal, I wanted to use something more robust. The warez sites easily crack the Handango keys and I'd like to avoid that for the new version. The process has always been problematic because the algorithm counts spaces and upper/lower case and doesn't support Asian characters. My idea for a new model will be based on the unique ID of each device (no more user names). It will require everyone to send me the new ID, but going forward it will be much simpler for everyone. Here's the todo list as far as I can remember:

1) New security model.

2) Clean up touchscreen controls

3) Flesh out documentation and make accessible from within the program

4) Bring the Desktop PC version up to date with the new features of the mobile version

5) Fix any remaining issues with specific game systems

If anyone has last minute requests or can think of something that I've forgotten, please let me know.

L.B.

Guest Skeese
If anyone has last minute requests or can think of something that I've forgotten, please let me know.

L.B.

The only request i could think of right now would be to make the Touchscreen Controls more finger friendly. [bigger and rounder A,B,C keys with a better responsive D-pad]

Would a D-pad like this be possible?

Street-Fighter-4-iphone-05.jpg

Could you also layout the A,B,C keys like this so it's less likely to hit another by accident?

X

...X

X

Edited by Skeese

Guest bitbank
The only request i could think of right now would be to make the Touchscreen Controls more finger friendly. [bigger and rounder A,B,C keys with a better responsive D-pad]

Would a D-pad like this be possible?

Street-Fighter-4-iphone-05.jpg

Could you also layout the A,B,C keys like this so it's less likely to hit another by accident?

X

...X

X

I can do translucent controls, but the reason I didn't do it that way is to avoid having your fingers block your view of the game. Since I am not the target audience because I really dislike touchscreen controls, everyone else please chime in and let me know how you would like the touchscreen controls to be implemented.

L.B.

Guest Skeese
I can do translucent controls, but the reason I didn't do it that way is to avoid having your fingers block your view of the game. Since I am not the target audience because I really dislike touchscreen controls, everyone else please chime in and let me know how you would like the touchscreen controls to be implemented.

L.B.

Sorry i just meant can you implement that design of the d-pad over the existing one, i didn't mean do translucent controls that would be annoying...

Guest Skeese

SG 2.0.12

1. post-111413-1272917447_thumb.jpg 2. post-111413-1272917474_thumb.jpg

1. Pokemon Silver, GBC [Touchscreen Controls on, Best Perf, 0 Orientation]

2. Raiden, TG16 [Touchscreen Controls on, Best Perf, 0 Orientation]

How come the TG16 game doesn't fill the screen like the GBC game on the same settings?

Edited by Skeese

Guest bitbank
How come the TG16 game doesn't fill the screen like the GBC game on the same settings?

The "best perf" setting will use the largest output from the optimized routines (75%, 100%, 150%, 200%, 300%) that fits within the given area. GBC is 160x144 and TG16 can be 256x224 or 320x224. Sometimes there will be wasted space because that's the biggest one which fits.