Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest 171235_1437909563
Firstly, great work on the emu for smartphone - I'd probably buy that once its available as i have many sms games for it. Its graphics and speed are fantastic and the sound is the best i've heard on any smartphone emu (also sound doesnt slow gameplay down)

A Desktop Pc version may be cool, however if you havent already, try to check out 'freezeSMS' which is an emu for master system/gamegear with great graphics and sound - in my opinion you'd have to improve on that.

Keep up the good work my friend.

WildcardSPV

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would really appreciate a desktop pc version !!!

The fact is : all the roms don't work fine, and it represents much work for me to test all the roms of each console...

on a desktop pc, this would really be easier...

edit : wildcardspv : we all know good emulators on the desktop pc, it's just to have this one here to test the roms :)

thank you !!!

ps : the next version has snes support and mega drive support with arm optimisations ?? (parallax seemed to say it on another topic)

[for information, the parallax snes non qvga version really works fine on my spv c600 with overclocking :D ]

Edited by 171235_1437909563

I have to say that you work is really great. I just read the thread today and im just impressed of it :). its all that i was searching for too long.

keep up the good work.

=D>

one question:

how can i register my version of smartgear? O:)

Guest bitbank

I've been asked to add file associations to SmartGear, but I need help understanding how it will work on the smartphone. On my SPV C550 I created a file assocation for ZIP files to execute SmartGear. The problem is that the file manager just opens the zip file instead of passing it to SmartGear. File associations seem to work fine on the Pocket PC, but the HTC file manager included on smartphones apparently doesn't allow file associations for ZIP files to work properly. Anyone have an idea if this can work?

Thanks,

Larry B.

Guest netbeui

How come nobody can answer the question about registering Smartgear? If it can't be registered then please state that because I would be more than happy to register it. :)

Guest 171235_1437909563
I've been asked to add file associations to SmartGear, but I need help understanding how it will work on the smartphone.  On my SPV C550 I created a file assocation for ZIP files to execute SmartGear.  The problem is that the file manager just opens the zip file instead of passing it to SmartGear.  File associations seem to work fine on the Pocket PC, but the HTC file manager included on smartphones apparently doesn't allow file associations for ZIP files to work properly.  Anyone have an idea if this can work?

Thanks,

Larry B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

let the people who want the file association change the roms extension ?

all the zip files replaced by .smg files for example ?

(and the zip files still working in the emulator)

this is the easiest solution i can find...

edit :

i would say that it is good that the zip file association does not work...

i dont want all my zips to be opened by smartgear ! :)

+++ and thx for your work !!!

Edited by 171235_1437909563

Ok im testing now too :)

mini bug: button click sound if you enable it on smartphone settings(but who would activate button sound?? :D )

gbc:

-all ***mon games have no screen but sound. (maybe fixed already?? :D )

the display of the sms exceeds to the left but i think its made for 90°/270° rotation. but the games i played(not ) work very well.

On NES:

-***** ** *******: invisible monsters/npcs

-***** ******* 2: crashes on startup (**3 crashes a bit later)

-******* 6: crashing on start (weird graphics)

-*******: char gets invisible when hit

-***** 1:D )

after playing i just recognized that you just need too optimize on NES (and fix few decent games :) ).

in my opinion only the nes/sms has to be fixed & optimized + a decent no-sound-snes would be really good.

i want to buy this amazing tool, because i dont like 4 minutes :D

i m testing with a Motorola MPx220.

If you want me to test special things(console,performance,etc.) just tell.

personally i dont need file association. its just god as it is :D

Edited by Sly123

Guest bitbank

Thanks for your feedback. I'm working on bug fixes for the NES and rotated display support. These are some of the reasons I haven't released it for sale yet; I want to get the majority of issues resolved before I officially release it.

L.B.

Guest Jamma14

Larry, please fix the button click sound bug, I remember it on smartgear a while back, it was so annoying it made me want to stop using the emulator.

Basically: most smartphone users have no sound for their kepress tone but on running smartgear it changes back to click!

James

Guest bitbank

Jamma14,

The old code tried to read the current click state, disable it during play and then restore it after you're done. Apparently the key click registry entry varies from machine to machine and the unintented result was that the click was being enabled.

I have removed all of this code in the latest build (not released yet), so this issue is solved.

L.B.

Guest Jamma14

Good good. :D

Also the problem with sound being much too fast on zelda oos/ooa gbc games still exists.

Glad to see you back working on it. :)

Are there plans definitely for SNES support? You said you've been writing some stuff in asm, so if you can get it to a speed where mario kart becomes playable I'm sure that in itself would get you quite a few purchases.

James

EDIT: Also a few more things:

--Any chance of adding basic sram support for gbc/nes games as opposed to just the save states??

--Resetting the game deletes the save, without confirmation etc which could be very enfuriating (if you'd playing a rpg for a few hrs etc). I think reset should just reset the rom, leaving the save state intact, and the user can decide whether or not to save the resetted rom.

--Defined vol up/vol down keys at the moment do not seem to be working in the game.

--Softkey menus cannot be accessed while in the game, so why have things like pause/resume and reset in the menu, this is just confusing.

--Rather than mapping reset, exit etc to buttons (too many to remember - could end in accidental pressing of reset etc), how about just having a pause button, and then when the game is paused, you can do these from accessing softkey menus (like parallax's snes emu).

--In define keys menu, "done" softkey doesn't work, back button must be pressed.

--What is up with mapping one key to save/load, what does it do???

--There seems therefore to be no option to save or load unless you put auto on - back to the pause menu point - add save and load on there? Personally I wouldn't want auto as I could revert to an old save if I messed something up (a problem again with states, I prefer sram).

--Just an option for auto load? I can remember to save when I want rather than just quiting and expecting it to remember, but having to load each time would be pointless.

James

PS. When do you plan to release the next version??

Edited by Jamma14

Guest Jamma14
imo the save function is not so bad. just put auto save on and dont press reset ... :)

but i think you work on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never said it was bad, just constrcutive criticism. :D

in an earlier post you wrote that you dont think that sms emulation is needed cause much of the games are availible on gg(thats right). but i played ******boy 3 and its resolution makes gameplay much better (left/right movement + reaction time :) ). it would be really good if you can make the screen work acceptable(not perfect) with 90°/270° rotation.

Regards,

SL :D/

Guest g0ddard

I have got pokemon blue but its not got colour anyone know why or wher i can find one without colour what key words to search in order to get one with colour on my c500.

Guest bitbank

Sly123,

SMS support didn't make as much sense on the 176x220 displays because it had to squish the pixels and the results were hard to see. Viewing GG games at 100% on 176x220 displays is a much more pleasant experience. However, running SMS on QVGA devices makes perfect sense and looks fine.

g0ddard,

The Pokemon games all seem to be working correctly in the newest build. I haven't released it yet (I broke a few things). As soon as it's at least as functional as the last build, I'll release it.

SNES support would be too frustrating to include at the moment. I'm working on a 65816 in ARM asm and cleanup of the code, so as soon as it's able to play at least 25% of the games, I'll release it (not sure when).

L.B.

Sly123,

SMS support didn't make as much sense on the 176x220 displays because it had to squish the pixels and the results were hard to see.  Viewing GG games at 100% on 176x220 displays is a much more pleasant experience.  However, running SMS on QVGA devices makes perfect sense and looks fine.

g0ddard,

The Pokemon games all seem to be working correctly in the newest build.  I haven't released it yet (I broke a few things).  As soon as it's at least as functional as the last build, I'll release it.

SNES support would be too frustrating to include at the moment.  I'm working on a 65816 in ARM asm and cleanup of the code, so as soon as it's able to play at least 25% of the games, I'll release it (not sure when).

L.B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so it even looks bad when the screen would be rotated 90/270° ?. i know. you said that vertically rendered screen is slower, but still too slow for playing?

but anyway, thx for the good news(except sms ^^). keep it up :)

so it even looks bad when the screen would be rotated 90/270° ?. i know. you said that vertically rendered screen is slower, but still too slow for playing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GG resolution is 160*144, SMS is 256*192, so you would still have to remove 36 columns and 16 rows of pixels even if rotated.

First may I say this program is awsome, Im using it on Cingular's 8125 WM05 phone and it works great. The only hang up Ive had, and by your posts you might have fixed it, but running Zelda on NES when you go to a new screen you watch Link slowly go back to the other side then the board loads. It looks really weird. I dont know. Other then that this program is amazing and was wondering if you have an estimate on final price yet?

Guest dapsaille

Well thanks for this good piece of software ..

as mentionned before .. what will be the price for it ?

And heuu maybee it's recurrent but i'm really new to smartphone world and i have a C500 .... not funny for the controls i cannot move and use button at the same time .. but about 3 months ago i've founded a program that permit this action .. do you think you will implement this (really really interesting) functionnality ??

thanks in advance for your reply :)

Guest bitbank

I'm sorry about the delay in new releases. Lately I've been trying to optimize my Genesis emulator and have had some good luck. It's able to run on my T-Mobile SDA at close to 60fps (no frameskip) with sound disabled. The trick is to get it to run decently with sound enabled. I have been optimizing my 68k and Z80 emulators and they're pretty quick, but it's still not quite fast enough for my liking. What I consider acceptable is 30fps (60fps with frame skip 1) and 44khz audio. My other emulators are able to do this on most smartphones, but the Genesis is especially challenging. I've got the CPUs and graphics code written in ARM asm, but it's still not quite fast enough.

L.B.

I'm sorry about the delay in new releases.  Lately I've been trying to optimize my Genesis emulator and have had some good luck.  It's able to run on my T-Mobile SDA at close to 60fps (no frameskip) with sound disabled.  The trick is to get it to run decently with sound enabled.  I have been optimizing my 68k and Z80 emulators and they're pretty quick, but it's still not quite fast enough for my liking.  What I consider acceptable is 30fps (60fps with frame skip 1) and 44khz audio.  My other emulators are able to do this on most smartphones, but the Genesis is especially challenging.  I've got the CPUs and graphics code written in ARM asm, but it's still not quite fast enough.

L.B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A longer wait for a better/working product is something everyone understands. Keep up the amazing work. One thing though, I checked out your website, the address is shown at the begining of the emulator, and it doesnt seem to have been updated in 6 years. Id maybe remove that link from the emulator or update the site.

Guest Sly123
I'm sorry about the delay in new releases.  Lately I've been trying to optimize my Genesis emulator and have had some good luck.  It's able to run on my T-Mobile SDA at close to 60fps (no frameskip) with sound disabled.  The trick is to get it to run decently with sound enabled.  I have been optimizing my 68k and Z80 emulators and they're pretty quick, but it's still not quite fast enough for my liking.  What I consider acceptable is 30fps (60fps with frame skip 1) and 44khz audio.  My other emulators are able to do this on most smartphones, but the Genesis is especially challenging.  I've got the CPUs and graphics code written in ARM asm, but it's still not quite fast enough.

L.B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hope you will be done with the first official version. what are the main problems now, that hold the release? im looking forward for this excellent emulator!

Guest pedroms1

Just a question... Isnt there anyway to port the morphgear's GBA Emulator too? I've tried the PPC version and it doesnt run too slow. If I overclock the phone, I can get smooth play, but dont forget that I cant change the frameskip in the settings menu, so it should play faster that I've played.

Pedro