Cool Devices on CDMA

Guest calzon65

Guest calzon65

As I read about many of the new cool MS SmartPhone and MS PocketPC Phone devices coming out this year, I notice that so many of them (virtually all) are for the GSM/GPRS market. I currently use a Samsung i600 which is on Verizon CDMA.

In the U.S. the wireless carrier with the largest footprint is Verizon (CDMA) and some might say that second is Sprint (CDMA). T-Mobile, Cingular and AT&T are GSM/GPRS and I know that most of the rest of the world is GSM/GPRS.

It really sucks to see so many great new devices coming out that won’t operate on the largest U.S. networks. It just pisses me off that the U.S. had to adopt a standard that is not used by most of the civilized world. No matter what T-Mobil, Cingular and AT&T say, it's going to take years and years and years to get to the coverage Verizon has now...and during that time, Verizon will probably be continuing to build their network.

I’ve heard all the arguments about how CDMA is suppose to be better than GSM (I live in San Diego home of Qualcomm and CDMA so everyone is a CDMA nut around here), but I like to point out that Betamax was better than VHS.

Anyway, I’m just venting. I wish I could get the new Motorola stuff on Verizon or maybe the new HP PDA/Phone, but no luck for me I guess :P

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

GSM is a more worldwide accepted standard. It covers all of europe and most of the US, so it has a more widespread availablility of service. To make matters worst most of the eastern world is adopting TDMA as its 3G service (and UMTS is in the works too...).

I rememeber reading somewhere that Moto may make a CDMA 220? Not sure...

Guest nickcornaglia
To make matters worst most of the eastern world is adopting TDMA as its 3G service (and UMTS is in the works too...).

I rememeber reading somewhere that Moto may make a CDMA 220?  Not sure...

Thats funny as well. AT&T had recently dropped their TDMA sevice to fully adopt GSM.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I'm pretty sure it's TDMA around the rest of the world, its the service that funky Japanese 3G service runs off (i-craz or whatever weird name they thought up for it).

GSM is aging now but at least its well established (which tends to be better in terms of generating revenue).

Guest nickcornaglia

My friend had a siemens phone that was TDMA & GSM. It automatically switched to GSM when there was no TDMA Signal. Maybe that's in Europe's future.

Guest martin
My friend had a siemens phone that was TDMA & GSM. It automatically switched to GSM when there was no TDMA Signal. Maybe that's in Europe's future.

GSM is also a TDMA network :D

The TDMA network is the US was their own TDMA standard but I believe that body shutdown a long time ago hence it's being phased out.

Probably due not getting enough phones :P