Unlocking C500

Guest duncan888

Guest duncan888

Has anyone unlocked there C500 to allow the use of other networks yet?

if so, how?

Will orange take off the lock, will they charge a fee?

Thanks

Guest Rolfe_WJ_2

Application unlock? Well, I just get 'do you trust this software.....etc etc' and I can install unsigned applications without problem so far. Maybe you dont need to unlock? :) :shock:

If you're not on O, wouldn't you just buy the QTek ?

(Sorry if I've missed something obvious  :wink: )

Maybe they want the black version, witch is only available via Orange. Or maybe the qtek will be out a lot later than the C500 (seem's to be that way).

Guest theevaluator

i also think quite a few people in the US would pay a pretty penny for unlocked c500's- i know i'd pay quite a bit for one rather than wait for the imate to be released, whenever that is.

i would think the approach would be to re-flash the phone with a completely new ROM rather than SIM unlocking it.

has anyone unlocked orange spv's before? i don't know whether its even possible, but i seem to recall people doing it.

Guest grantd

I just spoke to Orange customer services (after 30 minutes holding) who advised me to go into any orange retail shop and request my c500 to be SIM unlocked. She said that they will happily perform the service and charge me £20 for the privilege.

I asked for this when I upgraded to the c500 last week & the guy in the shop looked at me as if I was a criminal. I told the helpful woman on the phone at orange about this and she said I should try a smaller shop?!

So Im going to call a few shops and see if they do it.

keep you posted....

...and if you find a way to unlock yours please let us know.

Guest grantd

It seems the nice lady I spoke to at orange customer services didn't know what she was talking about (advising me to go to any Orange retail store and paying £20 to unlock my c500). I called 5 stores and they all denied being able to perform the service.

So after another 20 minute session holding for Orange customer services the Guy I spoke to said the only way I could unlock my c500 on its new contract was to fully pay it up. Then they could request the unlock code from HTC and charge me £20 to give it to me. He volunteered that I could reduce my contract tariff to £13.99 a month before I paid it up, then change it back to my original contract once I had the phone unlocked. So all up it will cost me £187.88 to unlock the phone.

I guess charging me this much would be fair if I was not going to continue to make calls with Orange, but in my case I am. So the experience has left me feeling a little frustrated.

Im sure the talented blokes working on an unlock crack for the c500 will sort it soon [-o<

Among others these guys have assured me they are currently working hard on it:

www.imei-check.co.uk

Guest duncan888

This is a reply from www.imei-check.co.uk when I asked them about unlocking the C500

"We don't have a c500 yet, we order few of them and as soon we receive

them, will start to work at the solution."

Guest inspectorgadjet

If I'm not mistaken, you're not allowed to downgrade your price plan for 3 or 6 months if you've bought your phone from an Orange shop. They're always the most expensive anyway. Sooner or later an unlock method will appear somewhere.

Guest JasonKenny

Can you use Orange customer service rules against them?

If you have to buy out the remainder of your contract then anyone who has just successfully talked OCS into UPGRADING their phone to an e500 rather than cancelling the contract will get a cheap way to sim unlock.

My understanding is that - subject to orange direct having c500 handsets - all OCS staff have discretion to grant free phone upgrades in month 11 of a twelve month contract. If you politely threaten to cancel then you are put through to cancellations who have discretion to do a deal and I'm aware of people in month 10 getting a free upgrade.

That means in month 11 you can get a sim unlocked c500 for circa £34 (free upgrade, £20 unlock code and one month's lowest charge of £13.99).

What a bugger for those of us who just cancelled my orange contract and took out a new one.

Jay

Guest agent.m

I remember the crap I went through to get my classic spv unlocked hours before they phoned to give me the code I got the unlock program from here :)

Guest dylanlewis2000

what about some of these unlocking programs going round some dodgy place and places like taht. Orange unlocked my SPV E100 for free...

Guest theevaluator

some guy in glasgow has one unlocked for sale on ebay, at least he claims its unlocked. i sent him an email with some questions regarding what that means precisely. the auction looks legit, hes got real feedback, so i guess we'll see what he says.

Guest gazza1000

Yes powered up the phone holding camera button to get the red/blue/green screen.

Terminated activesync

Ran SPVUNLOCK2.EXE throws up a error " Verify the phone is in bootloader mode"

And thats it.

Can anyone help

Guest mcwarre
If I'm not mistaken, you're not allowed to downgrade your price plan for 3 or 6 months if you've bought your phone from an Orange shop.
Only if a new contract (and it is 6 months for new contracts). On an upgrade do what you like

That means in month 11 you can get a SIM Unlock c500 for circa £34 (free upgrade, £20 unlock code and one month's lowest charge of £13.99).  

When you upgrade (month 10, 11 or later) you agree to a new 12 month contract so this wouldn't work. Elsewise people would upgrade their phone and walk :roll: :roll:

This is a reply from www.imei-check.co.uk when I asked them about unlocking the C500

"We don't have a c500 yet, we order few of them and as soon we receive

them, will start to work at the solution."

And God bless them! :wink: