Guest d0pefish

no multiplayer which use 2 phones. i think there are some of the play a level then pass to friend and see who does it quickest ones. I know thats not what your after

Guest lighthouse82

no, you're right. i have a demo of a pool game which is obviously of the "take one shot, pass it over" variety, which is good fun up to a point.

but it should be possible to play "real" multiplayer games - after all, i used to have great fun playing realtime 2player Sn*ke 2 on my old N**** 7650, at 10 metres range.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest midnight

this is the main problem at the moment, how many people do you know who you could play MS Smartphone multiplayer bluetooth games against? MS Smartphone sales have picked up, but i'd hardly call them common.

I had an idea for a multiplayer platform based shooter (think of it like a 2D Unreal Trounament), but the simple fact is, sales would be tiny (unless it had a kick ass single player mode of course :lol:).

Guest lighthouse82

but that's the thing - single player modes take s*** loads more coding - multi is easy: just create the map. no bots to worry about. UNLESS, you could do an unreal tournament style single player with just a few bots...

Guest midnight

absolutely, but then you wouldnt play it much because you'd need other MS Smartphone users to play against

single player mode is a must for all games as far as i'm concerned :lol:

Guest lighthouse82

yeah i quite agree.

altho i don't think the smartphone can ever get close to a pc for FPS gameplay: 3D sound, great graphics, mouse&keyboard. i fondly remember unreal on the pc for the single player storyline - always preferred it and UT to quake 2 and 3 - just loved sniping people's heads off with the sniper rifle, and the flak cannon, and the guided rocket launcher and .... DAMMIT, where is that installation CD? :lol:

Guest midnight

hmmm, technically it could, IF they fixed up all the control issues. Next year we'll see a large hardware 3D accel in smartphones push, me, i'm excited about the gizmondo, technically maybe not as good as the PS2, but certainly easier to make games for and a hell of a lot cheaper for developers aswell

As for my Solitaire Showdown game, I already have quite a bit done. Right now you can play "single player", in which you only use your deck. I'm currently coding the framework for the netcode, and I'll have a bluetooth provider in the next few days. This is because I have to get back to my university on Sunday and get back to school work :lol:

Guest markhammill

Rocket Elite Gold has multiplayer over GPRS which is a start.

I think one of the versions of battleships has some sort of multiplayer but it is another take turns one.

• 2 years later...
Guest shino_kamui

;) Im somewhat surprised at how many idiots are a part of modaco these days. Its not only completely possible, its not very difficult to add bluetooth or IP based multiplayer to a smartphone game if the game mechanics support it. Quite simply, those of you who cry that there can't be a multiplayer doom sp game need to look at the latest version of pocketquake for the ppc. Even at this time there are a few multiplayer sp/ppc games over bluetooth, superminers, all of the realdice titles (internet multiplayer, not even PAN/Peer2Peer), and fightcube are a few very popular titles to name a few. On the ppc side you've got pocketquake, warefare inc, and daedelus X again to name a few popular titles. This platform is ideal for multiplayer because of the built in (now adays high speed) wireless connection most users have access to either via their carriers wireless data connection or using a local technology like bluetooth or on many models Wifi.

Guest mikeeey
;) Im somewhat surprised at how many idiots are a part of modaco these days. Its not only completely possible, its not very difficult to add bluetooth or IP based multiplayer to a smartphone game if the game mechanics support it. Quite simply, those of you who cry that there can't be a multiplayer doom sp game need to look at the latest version of pocketquake for the ppc. Even at this time there are a few multiplayer sp/ppc games over bluetooth, superminers, all of the realdice titles (internet multiplayer, not even PAN/Peer2Peer), and fightcube are a few very popular titles to name a few. On the ppc side you've got pocketquake, warefare inc, and daedelus X again to name a few popular titles. This platform is ideal for multiplayer because of the built in (now adays high speed) wireless connection most users have access to either via their carriers wireless data connection or using a local technology like bluetooth or on many models Wifi.

well yes now a days it is easy. but take a look at when this topic was discussed, 2004. of corse it was harder for them, wich was why they were sayin it cant be done. it's not that the people here are idiots, it's that at that time it was very hard. i mean WM5 wasnt even out yet. so dont go callin them idiots just because back then it was something a lot harder to do :D

Guest awarner (MVP)

I am amazed you searched for such an old post and then decided to flame the people posting there.

Not really a good start for a first post in an established and friendly forum.