Just ordered my new XDA II - but...

Guest shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

Maybe I should have checked these things out first - but just like me, I always take the plunge too easily.

Nevertheless, can any of you nice peeps answer ANY of the following. Fell free to chip in with any you can answer...

1) Battery life - better than my E200 by any chance? Please say yes! Give me some info folks.

2) Bluetooth - seems it works just a poorly as the E200 - true or false?

3) GPS (Global Positioning System) - It states it has this built in. If so, why all the posts on various forums about people deciding whether to buy a Serial GPS add on, or a USB one? Why an add on at all if its built in...? What have I missed?

4) Picture Caller ID - how well does this work on an XDA2? I've heard it fails becuase only 32 processes can be run consecutively by the XDA2 at once, and 28 get run at startup alone on a mimimal boot. Is this so - as I am SURE to add more stuff to it over time, so this is worrying.

5) It also states Powerpoint can be run direct from the XDA2 and connected to a Projector. But all the reports I have seen indicate a Utility pack with adaptor/port etc is needed. So whats the truth?

6) Themes... Are there many these/Homescreens out there availbale, like for the E200?

7) MMS/Video Record etc - all this is possible from an out of the box O2 XDA2, yes?

8) Anything else I might have missed you feel is important - please chip in peeps...

Thanks all, and to Paul for a great Smartphone site I have used extensively in the past, and hopefully this new one now, when my XDA2 arrives...

Guest squall

1) Battery life - better than my E200 by any chance? Please say yes! Give me some info folks.

Id say better, get at least a full day, if not 2 +

2) Bluetooth - seems it works just a poorly as the E200 - true or false?

Never had a problem with bluetooth, use jarba head set, and have sent/recieved contacts via bluetooth

3) GPS (Global Positioning System) - It states it has this built in. If so, why all the posts on various forums about people deciding whether to buy a Serial GPS add on, or a USB one? Why an add on at all if its built in...? What have I missed?

not built in, can you give me a link to somewhere that says it is?

4) Picture Caller ID - how well does this work on an XDA2? I've heard it fails becuase only 32 processes can be run consecutively by the XDA2 at once, and 28 get run at startup alone on a mimimal boot. Is this so - as I am SURE to add more stuff to it over time, so this is worrying.

XDA 2 comes with a task manager, and i have never had a problem. couple this with the 10 second boot time (meaning you can reboot to clear memory fast) and i dont think there is a problem

5) It also states Powerpoint can be run direct from the XDA2 and connected to a Projector. But all the reports I have seen indicate a Utility pack with adaptor/port etc is needed. So whats the truth?

believe you need an adaptor, infact check this out

SEE HERE

6) Themes... Are there many these/Homescreens out there availbale, like for the E200?

not that ive come accross, but its only a matter of time - surely!

7) MMS/Video Record etc - all this is possible from an out of the box O2 XDA2, yes?

Yup, good quality camera - best ive seen on a mobile, works well with video to

Anything else I might have missed you feel is important - please chip in peeps...

id strongly suggest getting a bluetooth headset, looks strange holding something as big as the xda2 up to your ear

Thanks all, and to Paul for a great Smartphone site I have used extensively in the past, and hopefully this new one now, when my XDA2 arrives...

seconded

Guest shadamehr

not built in, can you give me a link to somewhere that says it is?

It was the ORIGINAL O2 Flash/HTML Demonstration website http://www.xda-2.co.uk/ , which I notice is not only completely different now, but makes no mention of the GPS functionality now - it was aGPS or GPSa whatever that is.

Now conspicous by its absence, so clearly a marketing error by O2.

DAMN - anyone else recall this being mentioned on the original site too?

And thanks for all your answers - its put my mind at rest a lot more.

I guess all I should have asked is "are you really happy with your XDA2 folks, and if so, what things about it are you a little less happy about"

Great answers mate - cheers.

And come on guys - lets get to work on some wicked Honescreens, assuming the XDA2 allows these?

Guest shadamehr

Actually, if you click on the PLAY option on the link I sent, GPS is listed in the options menu, but it now says "CONNECT a GPS system to blah blah blah..."

Whereas on the older, first style site, it was just listed as one of the features of the XDA2.

Mmmmmm....

Guest shadamehr

Oh DAMN - that's the bit I wanted to ask too.... Pocket Office. Am I right in thinking that unlike the E200, the XDA2 can open, edit and create Word and Excel files etc? Out of the box, or for free?

Is that right?

Guest shadamehr

And a couple more questions for good measure..?

9 ) Can you use wma for ringtones, and set different ring tones for different contacts (just like on the E200)

10 ) Does it even support Caller ID photos - I can't find reference to it on the new O2 site...

Cheers