Dade's M2000 Review

Guest Dade

Guest fraser

Dade, read the previous post. ;-) Got into each connection, there will be a "work/internet" selection thingy. Make sure they are all on the same one, then go into the menu I described and set it to the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest itsallymcmental

ok before I start let me point out I am female and blonde. Just received the m2000 from my insurance co, its an orange phone and I am on voda, how do I unlock it? Also see that ebay are selling tom tom software if I buy this what else do I need to run the sat nav? If I decide to sell it instead what price would be realistic for it as its still in its box?

How do you men cope with this stuff lol, I am lost just looking at it.

Any help please would be great but be gentle with me these things scare me.

Many thanks

ok before I start let me point out I am female and blonde. Just received the m2000 from my insurance co, its an orange phone and I am on voda, how do I unlock it? Also see that ebay are selling tom tom software if I buy this what else do I need to run the sat nav? If I decide to sell it instead what price would be realistic for it as its still in its box?

How do you men cope with this stuff lol, I am lost just looking at it.

Any help please would be great but be gentle with me these things scare me.

Many thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) stating you are female always helps in forums, many spotty young boys think they can help you out and get in your knickers. :( Don't see it as a disadvantage, a guy I know always puts female in his profile due to this "helpful" attitude of other members :o Besides, the smartest chick I know (2 x phd) is blonde...

2) unlock is discussed in the thread "Blue Angel Free Sim-unlock" in this forum

3) ebay software is often dodgy, buyer beware. TomTom don't sell their stuff without the hardware. The hardware is a GPS unit, you can get either wired or bluetooth ones. You don't need to use the official one; I got a second GPS that works with TomTom from eBay for a 60 quid delivered (some german company I think)

4) resell value: dunno, look on eBay and see what they are currently selling for. Always look at the actual sale prices when the auction closes.

5) we cope 'cos most of us are geeky! If it's not complicated it bores me!

Only one correction to Fraser's post and I know where he's coming from...

TomTom for Pocket PC IS legitimately available without the Bluetooth GPS unit. It's just the Smartphone version that isn't. (still recommend you don't buy software off ebay though)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Smidge

Hi Guys. Nice reading your stuff. You all know way more than me about this stuff. Dade, good review. After reading your review i got myself one of these fancy M2000's. It's cool, i really like it but there are a few things that i haven't quite figured out yet. I wonder if you guys could help me.

1. How do i turn a media file (an MP3) into a ringtone?

2. How can i organise my playlists so that it doesn't just try to play every tune that i have on my phone?

3. How can i get some sort of adaptor to change that stupid 2.5 jack into a 3.5 jack so that i can plug in my own headphones/speakers? This is a real annoyance to me, here i have a great mp3 player and i can barely use it.

Cheers guys,

Smidge

Guest Pondrew
1. How do i turn a media file (an MP3) into a ringtone?

2. How can i organise my playlists so that it doesn't just try to play every tune that i have on my phone?

3. How can i get some sort of adaptor to change that stupid 2.5 jack into a 3.5 jack so that i can plug in my own headphones/speakers? This is a real annoyance to me, here i have a great mp3 player and i can barely use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Can't remember if this is pos or not so will leave to someone else to answer :o

2. Unfortunately the Windows Media Player that ships with most Blue Angels (the product name given to this by manufacturers HTC) is version 9 which doesn't include playlist support. But there's other music software that will do the job. Most people seem to recommend TCMP player. It's also possible to unlock your device to any rom update (through www.imei-check.com) as the latest updates from I-mate (for example) include Windows Media Player 10 with playlisting.

3. Be wary as the headset socket seems to use a strange polarity that most 2.5 headphones/converters can't deal with. Buy this 2.5 to 3.5 converter here as it is specially designed for the device (the PDA2K is the Imate version of the Blue Angel).

Hope it all goes well! 8)

Thanks Pondrew, You guys are all so friendly and helpful. Very often you go to these types of forum and are met with disdain if you can't memorize your own imei number. So many thanks. Also, do you know how to make my "Blue Angel" stop connecting to GPRS without my permission as it's probably gonna cost me a fortune.

Ta

Smidge

Guest Pondrew

Well, it'll either be the email settings set to automatically poll your email account at regular intervals or some software that you've installed. The device shouldn't be able to make it's own gprs connection otherwise, unless you mean that buttons are being pressed while it's in your pocket/bag. If so in settings / system / button lock select "lock all buttons except power button" or alternatively look into software to lock the device.

Thanks for your kind words, we do our best! We've got some great members here and I've been delighted at how helpful folks who only recently switched to Pocket PC Phone edition (like me) have been. Hopefully the Pocket PC section will continue to go from strength to strength.

I started off just like you over three years ago (still remember when my post count was in single figures!). I discovered this forum while researching an exciting new device I'd heard of called an Orange SPV (the original Smartphone)! Everyone was so helpful and MoDaCo enabled me to get so much more out of the device then I ever would have done otherwise. Over time I picked up enough to be able to give something back... :o

That's cool.

Also i found out about setting music as my ringtone. You have to make sure that the music files you have on your phone are in .wav format rather than .mp3 or .wma. Saving (or converting) them to .wav will give you the option of using these tunes as a ringtone. Although i would like to be able to set a different tone for my message alert and my alarm. I guess i've just been used to nokia.

Speak soon

Smidge

You have to make sure that the music files you have on your phone are in .wav format rather than .mp3 or .wma.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can use mp3 and wma files as well, but I believe you need to put them in a special place or something for them to be listed. See my next point for an alternative...

Although i would like to be able to set a different tone for my message alert and my alarm. I guess i've just been used to nokia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can. Just go into the notifications options. An alternative would be to check out "PPC Profiles" (look in the software section of modaco PPC). It allows you to have multiple profiles e.g. home, work, so everything can have a different tone depending on where you are. Also, I think it makes using mp3s etc easier.

For a more functional alarm, check out "Stoptime". Does handy little reminders as well. Both software utils I mentioned are free.

Guest stolford

After all the rave reviews I've seen (especially here) I cant tell you how disappointed I was when my M2000 arrived today.

After waiting 8 hours while it charged, when I set it up neither the wi-fi nor the bluetooth work.

It sees the wireless router, but no matter what I do none of the programmes connect to the internet - I just get a message saying that there are no network cards installed - even though the router sees the M2000 and the wi-fi settings on it are reporting back the router details.

As far a bluetooth goes, I have 2 headsets - a sony ericsson and a Motorola - and the M2000 sees neither of them.

I tried to speak to Orange - but their staff know less about the phone than I do (which is a bit frustrating) - so it may go back tomorrow. ;)

It sees the wireless router, but no matter what I do none of the programmes connect to the internet - I just get a message saying that there are no network cards installed - even though the router sees the M2000 and the wi-fi settings on it are reporting back the router details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WiFi is a pain at the best of times. From your symptoms it sounds as though the enryption is messed up. You can see the network but cannot connect. It's really user-unfriendly as you get no error message. It's the same on all WiFi devices I've used, I think it's by design. No error message means brute-force hackers have to actually test the link for each attempt. Slows 'em down big time.

Check out vxUtil and vxIpConfig. The first is a network util, dns lookups, pings, port scans, and the second lets you see/renew your IP. When you start messing with WiFi encryption, youll need them! Note that all MS devices auto-allocate a 169.x.x.x address if it cannot see a DHCP server, so if you have one of those addresses, the link isn't working. Try and ping the router for starters, once that is fine it'll all fall into place.

BT, dunno, only got once device (GPS) and it works fine, didn't have any bother with it.

Edit: I've now tried the app travisb recommended. I recommend it to, very handy, it's a keeper. Essentially replaces the menus that been holding you back!

Edited by fraser

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Thanks for the tips. I purchased the adaptor for my headphone socket and it works a treat! Ta Pondrew.

I have to say that my M2000 works perfectly and the wi-fi is ace. When i go to the library i hook up no bother. And the school which i work in had wireless connection too so it's almost made my laptop defunkt.

Keep the faith guys.

Smidge

Guest Pondrew

Yep, still loving my MDA III. In fact, having held an MDA Pro AND an XDA Exec today, I have to say I think I'm happy sticking with the Blue Angel. The Universal (XDA Exec/MDA Pro) IS bigger and NOTICABLY heavier. I'd be really worried about dropping it and it's too bulky with the screen outwards (as I'd want it, Blue Angel style).

Gonna wait until a smaller form factor like the HTC Wizard becomes widely available (MDA Vario maybe) or until a smaller VGA screen Pocket PC Phone comes out. Til then our Blue Angels spec is good enough.