Orange prepares SPV M500 for release

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

SPV_m500.jpg

Another scoop at MoDaCo, cheers to MB for the heads up!

Presenting the first official Orange picture of the forthcoming SPV M500, based on the HTC Magician, aka iMate Jam / MDA Compact / O2 XDA 2 Mini.

Despite the minor facelift, specs remain identical to other Magician variants.

Our sources tell us that the M500 is expected to ship as soon as early March across the Orange territories... as always... watch this space for more info as we get it :lol:

P

Guest shadamehr

As I said in another post a while back...

YUK

And I'm STILL trying to work out how such minor cosmetic changes (and I admit there are only a few changes), can make such a HUGE difference to what was a beautiful device.

Come on folks - you might still like it, but tell me truthfully they haven't gone and made it less nice that the iMate Jam...???

Why oh why Orange???

I'll wait for the O2 XDA2 mini, if we ever see it over here, else get me an iMate Jam, or MDA2 Compact...

Guest Darkrose.be
Doesn't look as nice as the iMate Jam :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, on the design point of view, they didn't made a great job.

HTC showed us many times much better design, as for the latest C500 or T-Mobile SDA, which are both small, while very nice at the same time.

But well, lets wait to see its size. Maybe this is the thing that will be great (Smaller than S100???)

Paul,

Excellent stuff!

Wondering whether you have any news on pricing... As we all know, the C500 was heavily subsidized by Orange, hopefully this one will be as well?

Please keep us informed, I'm keeping my eye on this beauty but not willing to pay 200+ pounds for an unlocked one! Hopefully I'll be able to get it as an upgrade to my Treo 600 in a couple of months.

Loukas

Paul,

Even though I'm very happy with my Treo 600, I think I'll give the Micro$oft environment a chance this time around. I've noticed that I mostly use my Treo for PIM functions through Outlook synchronization, besides the regular phone functions, anyway... I've given up on most additional Palm applications, even though I did spend considerable time adding freeware/shareware when I first bought it. And finally, the Treo 650 still doesn't behave well with WiFi, even though there've been some hacks around this recently on Treocentral.

I'm wondering how "big" the Jam feels compared to the Treo. The Treo is not a small device, weighing in at about 160g, I actually get tired having it in my jeans pocket and end up putting it in my briefcase or jacket pocket, especially on long walks. I also avoid taking out to clubs / bars at night, because of its size/weight.

Is the Jam any smaller? Both in actual size and in "feel" ...

Looking forward for Orange to get this out! :lol:

Loukas

Added:

My main worry is actually text entry. Treo is superb in this domain with its keyboard, both when it comes to dialing and adding contacts, as well as using the Calendar and ToDo applications. Typing text in the Jam looks like a two handed operation, having to take out the stylus and all ... a bit awkward.

How are you finding this aspect of the "Jam experience" so far??

Edited by Loukas

Guest Pondrew

Loukas, the Jam/M500 is a little larger then the C500. From what I understand the Jam should be smaller and lighter then your Treo (which I found quite heavy and bulky with the external aerial).

EDIT: :lol: Oops, Disco Stu got there first!

Edited by Pondrew

Pondrew,

Weight-wise the Jam is 150g vs the Treo's 168g (checked again - made a mistake above :lol: ). So not as big a difference.

I agree that the antenna does add bulk, especially when in your pocket.

I've seen comparison pictures of the Treo 600 and the Jam, but I guess it's not the same as having it in your hands. I'm wondering if someone has access to both, I'd really be interested in their thoughts. At least until I can go to a store and check it out for myself! :D

Paul, highly interested in the pricing of this device on Orange, and possible upgrade prices.. (Even though with a bit of haggling with CS, and threatening to disconnect, I might be able to get it for free if other providers are offering it for free by then..) When you have some further info, please let us know! :(

Loukas

Edited by Loukas

Here's a nice photo

15330342-S.jpg

Link

Hmm, plenty of material on Treocentral re: Treo and HTC variants (Jam, PDA2k etc). Just do a search in the forums for "Jam". Maybe I should just read those...

Thanks everyone for your input! :lol:

Loukas

Guest coolcatshaft

I agree, i think the orange version has a certain retro cool about it.

i just jumped ship and got the mda compact on tmobile, if i'd known orange werent that far behind i might have hung around for a bit.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

You could bet that the M500 won't be 30 quid on a cheap tarrif on Orange though...

I'll post comparison pics of my mda compact and c500 tomorrow when it arrives (if no-one else has already).

Come on folks - you might still like it, but tell me truthfully they haven't gone and made it less nice that the iMate Jam...???

Why oh why Orange???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably to make it look less like an iPod and more like a business tool - just like their conservative makeover of the SP3.

Guest Pondrew
I agree, i think the orange version has a certain retro cool about it.

i just jumped ship and got the mda compact on tmobile, if i'd known orange werent that far behind i might have hung around for a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're not alone as coolcatshaft says. I like it... always found the speaker slit on the Jam a bit strange...

Guest Pondrew
Probably to make it look less like an iPod and more like a business tool - just like their conservative makeover of the SP3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The SP3 and the C500 are different how? Aren't they identical?

The SP3 and the C500 are different how? Aren't they identical?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Orange C500 is the only variant of the HTC Tyhoon that comes in black. Everyone else's is silver.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.