ActiveSync is an evil hateful piece of work

Guest fraser

Guest fraser

Right folks, don't use Syncronized Folders on your phone unless you don't mind a hard reset!

I set it up and it gleefully synced the contents of My Documents, which contains a lot of things that should not be sync'ed this way, e.g. Notes. So, in ActiveSync, I went the sync folder settings and removed all of the things I didn't need on the PC. I only really wanted one file, a spreadsheet.

Now, any SANE application would mean that the files are no longer sync'ed. But not ActiveSync, which took it upon itself to delete each of the files on the PC and on the phone. This trashed a lot on my phone and basically things started crashing.

I am really not amused. Why provide a "remove" button that actually functions as a delete, that is in an config area of the app that is inconsistent with all others (when I deselect an Outlook folder from sync, it doesn't delete the original!!) and does something you could more easilly do from Explorer anyway? Was this designed by a different team? Did they give the student intern this as a task to keep them busy?

Anyway, I was able to restore a lot of it from the recycle bin, but my phone has not been the same since. A reset is now on the cards. My first on this phone; and for once it was not random third-party things; it was the latestest version of something that comes with the device. GO MICROSOFT BABY, YEAH!!!

Guest calle

I think that is a normal way. Same thing if you delete a message in outlook, it also get's deleted on the other "side" when you sync.

Guest fraser
I think that is a normal way. Same thing if you delete a message in outlook, it also get's deleted on the other "side" when you sync.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, on an item level. But when you choose not to sync a folder, it doesn't delete the original level! Just a bit inconsistent and an all to easy way to bugger up your phone.