Smart Hiker

Guest babybob

Guest babybob

[619]smarthiker.png

File Name :: Smart Hiker

Author :: babybob

Category :: Tools - Travel

Description ::

Smarthiker from www.bbpsoftware.co.uk is a Global Positioning System (GPS) software application for the Microsoft Smartphone especially for walkers, hikers and mountineers.

It shows the following information using a bluetooth GPS unit:

* Current Lat / Long Current

* OSGB Grid reference (UK only)

* Current Speed

* Current Direction of Travel

* Average Speed

Currently in Beta there are plans to add many other useful features like weather, sunrise/sunset times and others...

NOTE

smarthiker needs the OpenNetCF install as well to work. The install file can be found at:

http://www.bbpsoftware.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=89

Updated Sun, May 1 2005 8:57 am

View File

Guest bing69
I tried it with my c500 but I always get the message 'too far south'.

...to far south for what??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i tried on a qtek 8020, i get a unexpected error when i start the program.

Guest chucky.egg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe "too far south to Hike" - I.E. You're in the Channel, you should be using SmartSwimmer instead! :D

Guest muddy250

Can't get it to install...? Loaded the cab files on to the storage card but when I hit the setup I just get file info..any idea what this idiot is doing wrong?

Guest muddy250
Can't get it to install...? Loaded the cab files on to the storage card but when I hit the setup I just get file info..any idea what this idiot is doing wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTW, this is the software I've been searching for! A GPS compass with map refs so I can tell exactly how lost I am!! :D

Guest muddy250

Had unzipped the CAB files onto the desktop before loading into the phone...complete amateur :oops:

Also appears my phone is already unlocked despite the orange registratin program I downloaded insisting that it IS locked as I finally installed this no problem. My gps unit is in the car, with my wife, can't play! ;)

Guest muddy250
I tried it with my c500 but I always get the message 'too far south'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get 'no fix' then 'too far south' but it's only when the gps isn't locked on. Otherwise it's perfect and just what I was looking for. ;)

Guest marcf78

Tested on SPV E200 with a Holux GR-231

OpenNetCF MUST be installed on the phone, not on storage card !

GPS never starts because it works at 38400 bps

Guest babybob
Tested on SPV E200 with a Holux GR-231

OpenNetCF MUST be installed on the phone, not on storage card !

GPS never starts because it works at 38400 bps

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mark I'll have a look at your problem in the next beta release, can you give me as much detail as possible

thanks Brian

BBP software

Just the software I was after..Now if I could just get it to work! ;)

Im using an E200 with a Globalsat BT-308 and I cant get the gps to start, I have tried Com7 on all baud rates (should be 38400) but as soon as the status shows gps started it stops again and if I press start again the status shows starting and stays that way, I have to reboot the phone. I have tried all Com ports but none of them work, I get gps started on Com 1, 8 & 9 but no gps data is displayed.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried reonding but I dont think thats the issue, the gps unit worked fine with mapopolis and works pefectly with my pocketpc!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest extravagant
Superb!  I really have to get a cheap BT GPS unit sorted out now.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

me 2! but so expensive and its not really a necessity

Guest bachy
Just the software I was after..Now if I could just get it to work!  ;)

Im using an E200 with a Globalsat BT-308 and I cant get the gps to start, I have tried Com7 on all baud rates (should be 38400) but as soon as the status shows gps started it stops again and if I press start again the status shows starting and stays that way, I have to reboot the phone. I have tried all Com ports but none of them work, I get gps started on Com 1, 8 & 9 but no gps data is displayed.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried reonding but I dont think thats the issue, the gps unit worked fine with mapopolis and works pefectly with my pocketpc!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the exact same problem except that im using a C500 and a tomtom gps unit. I have the french rom loaded - have had it application unlocked by orange, have used the free sim unlocking tools found elsewhere in these pages - so its not exactly a standard c500 anymore. i know that the gps unit is funciting because tomtom works perfectly.

Hope I do eventually figure out how to make it work.. it looks a great little app!

• 1 month later...
Guest simon11

I have the same problem. SPV E200 . Tomtom gps.

I press start and I get as far as opening gps but no info. If I try altering settings whilst it is running my phone locks up.

Any help please?

Thanks

Simon.

:cry:

• 1 month later...
Guest Wombleuk

Hi,

just found this - looks good.

Is development still ongoing ?

What would be a really useful feature is the ability to see the distance you have travelled.

thx

• 2 months later...
Guest babybob
Hi,

just found this - looks good.

Is development still ongoing ?

What would be a really useful feature is the ability to see the distance you have travelled.

thx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Development is on hold for a bit while I finish some other projects. The problems people experience are becuase of the different bluetooth stacks available on phones and gpsr. Im looking at using a commercial component to handle the bluetooth comunication but of course that costs money.

Is this a project people would be willing to pay for, Im not sure?

Im sure Ill get some time next year to get it going again and hopefully integrate some geocaching functionaility

Brian Norman

BBP Software

• 3 weeks later...
Development is on hold for a bit while I finish some other projects. The problems people experience are becuase of the different bluetooth stacks available on phones and gpsr. Im looking at using a commercial component to handle the bluetooth comunication but of course that costs money.

Is this a project people would be willing to pay for, Im not sure?

Im sure Ill get some time next year to get it going again and hopefully integrate some geocaching functionaility

Brian Norman

BBP Software

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I for one would be willing to pay for it, could you fix it so it works on QVGA devices?

• 2 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.