Who are you going to vote for?

Guest SkUk21

Guest mike-oh

Any chance this poll can be on the portal page?

I'm really interested to see if this will reflect the actual result.

I'll second what SkUk21 said!

Edited by mike-oh

Guest confused and hungover
Any chance this poll can be on the portal page?

I'm really interested to see if this will reflect the actual result.

I'll second what SkUk21 said!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you elect me prime minister, there will be Media Player 10 and Problem free Bluetooth for all, i'll also iliminate the dust issue

Guest Disco Stu

Look, let me just say that we don't think there really is a dust problem.

It's just a scare story being put about by the opposition and their friends in the tabloid press.

Guest confused and hungover
Look, let me just say that we don't think there really is a dust problem.

It's just a scare story being put about by the opposition and their friends in theĀ  tabloid press.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i feel we should set up a dust enquiry to accertain if this "dust" is actually a "problem" and if it poses a threat to public health.

Guest peekie

voting Conservative would be good for modaco as they are blue as well , just a shame the leader has less hair than a new born baby ;) :D :D

Guest mcwarre
Personally I like the Green Party's defence policy: growing a very large hedge.

But the MOD would spend Ā£2 Billion and it would invovle the Germans and French and be 15 years late............

Guest martin

I not voting. My plan is to have an election where NOBODY in the country votes, hehe 'Voting has been cancelled'. Unfortunately in every election people spoil this plan by voting. It's just not fair :evil:

Seriously I'm not sure who to vote yet.

I think lib dems could be option I would go for ;)

Guest drblow
I not voting. My plan is to have an election where NOBODY in the country votes, hehe 'Voting has been cancelled'. Unfortunately in every election people spoil this plan by voting. It's just not fairĀ  :evil:

;) I have said that many times before!

Guest mupwangle

The current goverment has been acting to reduce the amount of dust in real terms. Figures show that dust is going to be tenfold higher under a conservative goverment. The liberal democrats want to decriminalise the dust and only go after organised crime.

Guest AngelOfRage

I cant believe the Liberal Democrats are winning the poll! there must be alot of lay about students voting in this poll...

"Liberal Democrats: Pay more taxes, millions of students and benefit claimers are depending on you!"

Edited by AngelOfRage

Guest mupwangle

>>there must be alot of lay about students voting in this poll...

I'm not a student. Mibbe it's that for once the lib dems actually have some policies. Labour are saying that everything they've done so far has been right and they'll continue, while the tories are claiming everything labour have done is wrong and they'll do the opposite.

Guest drblow
I cant believe the Liberal Democrats are winning the poll! there must be alot of lay about students voting in this poll...

"Liberal Democrats: Pay more taxes, millions of students and benefit claimers are depending on you!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The immortal words of the voting public, that find it difficult to think for themselves!

Guest morpheus2702

Here is the quintessential dilemma in British politics: that the Labour party have moved so far right, the Tories don't know where to go or how to be more right-wing without encrouching on BNP territory, and the Liberals are now the new left-wing.

Guest Dr Who

[Right then

For all of you saying you won't vote because you don't believe in any of the parties get off your 'arris, put down your deposit and get campaigning. If you don't like your choice then change it.

Also, it drives me mad when the parites start talking about cutting taxes. We all acknowledge that the public services in this country aren't very good. The only way they will become any good is if we pay more money for them. Forget cutting taxes we should be paying MORE tax. However you should really only be taxed at point of income and expenditure, rather than all this social engineering by tax policy that the Labour party are currently tinkering with. I love the idea of the Lib Dems local income tax. Your granny living in a bigish house that she has worked for all her life would pay very little whereas the wealthy thirty somethings in their Kensingtons flats will pay a fortune. Income tax should be much higher - the increase in property prices in this country shows that most home owners have too much personal income. Higher tax burden = less personal wealth = lower house prices = better public services.

It would just be nice if somebody came out and said it.

Guest Disco Stu

The problem with that tax system is that the more you 'earn' the less you pay.

If we committed ourselves to making sure the highest earners (MVPs etc) contributed more equally to the rest of us we'd be much better off all round.

Guest Dr Who
The problem with that tax system is that the more you 'earn' the less you pay.

If we committed ourselves to making sure the highest earners (MVPs etc) contributed more equally to the rest of us we'd be much better off all round.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Top rate tax needs to be increased (maybe several new increments) and bands need to be reviewed. A taxable threshold of Ā£4500 is a joke - this should be revised upwards with very minimal tax paid on earnings up to, say, Ā£16K. After that you should be taxed progressively more harshly. I have been bought up by the social state - I went to a state school, my local authority helped me through university and I have been treated at NHS hospitals (several times - I am clumsy) - and it is my duty to return the favour. If, by the states actions, I am in a position to earn a large wedge of cash then of course I should pay disproportionatly more than those who struggle on low incomes. I can't believe what a blinkered view many people take on tax, low tax = good party to vote for when it actually means poor education, poor living conditions (how much would you give you a public transport system that got you to and from work reliably and punctuallly) and no security in later life (pensions/care provision). I personally would be quite happy with the Danish system where you pay a huge amount in tax but boy is it a nice country.

Guest drblow

Word, Dr Who! ;) Good points, well made!

It constantly agrivates me to hear people complaining about paying taxes. I'm currently trying to fund my way through a university degree without getting into too much debt, which is why I find it appaling that some people still refer to students in terms of them 'sponging' or being 'lazy' - especially when the poiliticians we are expected to vote for have all been through university, funded entirely by the state, but people accuse me of sponging when I am actually borrowing a horrendous amount of money, and working four 12 hour days per week, just to get an education! I absolutely agree that the tax rates should hit higher earners harder. Unfortunately, I don't think that policy would be a national vote winner.

I mean, lets face it, elections ... politics ... it's not about what's right or good for people/the country ... it's about power & the retention or aquiring of it. I personally think the Lib Dems have some good ideas, but mt faith in them actually delivering a better way of life for us is non-existant. Thats just the nature of politics.

In reference to your first comment, about getting up & campaining for change ... are you for real? Do you honestly believe that anyone in this country has any hope of campaigning for anything? I mean, OK you could go out, pay the deposit, get some people to second your nomination as a candidate - but do you really think that's a realistic thing to do, or just a waste of time & money? Part politics in this country is a sham. The only plces in the UK where there is any chance of a change are the marginal constituencies, and there's only a handful of them. The great mass of sheep (the public) will unfortunatly just follow the rest fo the herd by voting for their traditional favourites without ever really thinking things through. Believe me, like I said, I work in a call centre, doing market research polls, and obviously we are quite busy at this time! But the statistics that come out are shocking. Most people when asked 'will you vote' respond yes. Most people when asked 'why will you vote' respond with something to the effect of 'it's mu responsibilty/duty etc', when asked about what issues/policies they want to see most people respond 'don't know'! A recent question asked if voters thought that taxes would rise after this election. As expected most tory voters said yes, taxes will rise under labour, and most labour supporters did vice-versa. When asked why they thought that, a staggering 92% said 'don't know'.

The truth is, we live in a country filled with ignorance. People vote out of a sense of duty, not because they have thought about issues & are voting with some kind of moral responsibility. Most people simply accept what they are told on the news, and if they have been brought up in a traditionally labour voting family/area, then thats what they will do. Ask them why they do that, and the answer is invariably 'don't know'.

Guest Disco Stu

It doesn't need to be a 'progressively harsh' system to start with.

If I pay (say) 20% of all my net income in tax then so should the likes of...oooohh...Branson, Rooney, Blair / Booth etc.

What you'll find is that the very rich pay something like 5% if at all. Big companies are effectively tax-exempt; just the incentive they need to export your jobs overseas.

:roll:

Guest drblow

If I was prime minister for the day, I would introduce compulsory intelligence tests for voting. In order to cast a vote, you have to pass a written exam, testing basic arithmetic, reading & writing skills, and prove that you have thoroughly read & understood the manifesto of the party you are choosing to vote for.

basicall the way I see it, is that we are all victims of the increasing number of dafties/ignorants that are prevalent in our country. Intelligence tests would sort out the men (and ladies ;) ) from the chavs, and then the country might actually be able to have an election based on the wishes/desires of the people who actually care enough to read manifestos or know something about the issues being debated, and not simply the box ticking masses who probably don't know the first thing about policies or politics.