Talking Point: One device or multiple devices...?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest carphead

Don't discount the Ipod because of the lack of WMA support. I almost did but things like the ITrip make up for that.

I only buy from AllofMP3 (whilst it's still legal ;)) and Audible so I don't really have any problems about the WMA support. But if I need to I'd just burn to a Virtual CD and rip it back. ;)

Guest bluesmudge

TBH all that is keeping me from buying aan IPOD is the lack of WMA support - a good 75% of my music is in that format . . . . Oh and i can't stand them .... thats about it.

I was onced asked by an elderly lady at work (tesco - don't laugh its a student job) If tesco 'topped up' IPODs when i asked what she ment, she said sorry i asumed you'd know what i ment being a young man . . . assumptions work both way and i now assume she wanted music for the thing . . . nothing much to do with this topic, but an interesting point about bringing technology to everyone. :?:

any who this thread seems to have raised again the future of our cameras in our phones . . . . if you ask me, powerful cameras in our phones would be missing the point of our current camera phones, which is to take spontanious photos for the moments years ago when we used to say "I wish i had brought my camera with me"

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest markdotpeters5

only because they're crap, and you'd much rather take the picture with a proper, dedicated digi camera as the result is way better.

If, eventually, they get too close to call, what's the point in ever having both? ;)

Guest dearsina

Convergence will happen — and is happening all the time. The trick is to see beyond a laptop-meets-camera-meets-phone device, and think about other things we carry around with us on a daily basis, or perhaps what we would like to bring with us.

On a daily basis i only carry my C500 around (and my wallet and car keys  ;) ).

I carry the same things as alien18, and would love it if as soon as I walked out of my door, the lights would go off in my room and the door lock, and when I got to my tube station, use my phone to swipe open the barriers instead of the oyster card, or pay for a stick of gum.

Convergence is about convenience. My MP3 player was better at MP3s, but it's more convenient to only have one device. And I'm sure the camera on the back of my phone will never be as good as my Nikon DSLR, but it sure as hell is more convenient to carry a phone than to lug around a camera bag.

sina

london

Guest Alex_le_brit
as alien18, and would love it if as soon as I walked out of my door, the lights would go off in my room and the door lock, and when I got to my tube station, use my phone to swipe open the barriers instead of the oyster card, or pay for a stick of gum.

sina

london

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The paying for things with your phone is a great idea, and I imagine as long as a safe encryption standard could be established it should be feasible. After all the phone companies already bill us anyway, how long before we have Orange Credit Cards?

Guest markdotpeters5

it's already happening in the more developed parts of the world (at least in tokyo). You can buy coke with your phone ;)

Guest hbfair
Yeh, check you guys and your PSPs?!

honestly, some people!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Slightly off-topic, but how are the people with PSPs finding them? As good as the hype?

At the moment I only carry my C500 and the headphones (not the best but they're fine for my cloth ears). However, for longer journeys a PSP could be the business. If they're as good as they're made out to be... ;)

Guest markdotpeters5

PSP is amazing. my only gripe is that the volume as an mp3 player could be louder. aside from that, awesome.

Guest beersoft
Where does it say that mortgage+kids=real world ?

(says 44-y-o slacker  ;)

My 2 gadgets - Jam + Zippo - and since one can scratch the other, I look forward to convergence in that area  ;)

Dade's PPC / wallet convergence is the best suggestion I've read here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we also need a bottle opener in there as well (and maybe a corkscrew)

now that would be a convergence device a combo wallet/phone/mp3player/videoplayer/lighter/bottleopener/corkscrew and camera

all it needs now is the portable washboard and we would be sorted

later

Owen

Guest Disco Stu

Now that's just being silly. :roll:

A more sensible addition would be a USB shaver attachment; rather like the old SPV camera.

Guest zebo4

At the airport waiting for my ride: sitting on the bench with my laptop connected to a wireless hotspot downloading off iRC while connected to the 5600 charging up.

iPOD hangin off my jeans with my psp on standby on the other side. Gettin on the net in my sidekick II.

In my laptop bag: Canon powershot s70 7.1mp camera.

Edited by zebo4

Guest Samsonite

its not running for the bus that'll be the problem - its running FROM the muggers!!!

zebo4, you're carrying about 1500quids worth of toys on you!!

Guest zebo4
its not running for the bus that'll be the problem - its running FROM the muggers!!! 

zebo4, you're carrying about 1500quids worth of toys on you!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should have my sis take a pic of me sportin all that stuff...

Guest Pagemakers

I want to be able to carry just 1 device.

For me that would be SPV-type smartphone, with a decent keypad, not the awful thing the C500 has. A phone capable of 3G, WiFi, frames web browsing and a decent email client, capable of HTML email, various file viewers and finally a "delete all" email facility.

Oh, so near, yet so far.

Guest zebo4

I think "true" convergence we're all dreaming of is a pipe dream. Let me explain:

Imagine yourself in another country taking pictures on your "all-in-one-device" and once you think you have the perfect picture...your wife calls....damn you missed the once in a lifetime picture...

I just dont see a phone becoming a part of a device that does it all because at any one point, you could be interrupted by an incoming call. On the other hand, i could see a device that could be considered a camcorder, digital camera, portable video and music device as well as a gaming device.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AcuraRBKG6

Well...I can definitely say that having a smartphone with me has really done a 360 on my life.

I remember when I had to carry a cell phone, a CD player (was never really for the MP3 players anyway because of the possibility for convergence), my Thinkpad 600 (which I sold for a Toughbook, which I sold for my smartphone), my HAdvantix Film camera, lots of cables and chargers, and an agenda to mark down stuff.

But that was freshman year of high school.

Now at the brink point of graduation from HS and entering the Stevens Institute of Technology, I only carry my MPx200 and a pair of EX51s (brilliance). Why? My MPx200, while being the bottom of the Smartphone food chain, can play my MP3s and WMAs like my CD Player can (without the Sony Style that I miss so much), can do just about everything that my laptop did, can charge USB style, and expertises on marking stuff down.

I remember Harold Ravenche, the president of the Stevens Institute of Technology, telling his future students at a seminar that the cell phone will be our wallet, our entertainment center, our agenda, calendar, and basically our everyday replacement. I looked at my Nokia 6800 and couldn't understand that. After having the power of Windows Mobile with me wherever I go, I can look at the fellow next to me with the bloody i860 and say, "At least he can't download MP3s straight out of HIS phone, now can he?"

btw...the simplicity of the Windows Mobile OS really came back to me when I tried to set up my mom's Motorola V180. It took me more than half an hour to find, install, and try the P2K drivers with no luck. All I have to do is pop the phone in the cradle and let it do its thing.

P.S. iPods SUCK. They will become verdicts of a popular iCult fad and will collect dust for the remainder of their plastic lives.

Guest AcuraRBKG6

As far as the money issue goes, I'm 17 and I've been switching from job to job trying to come up wtih money solely for "gadgets." It gets a little harder wtih a girlfriend next to you too (i love her so much I work for her lol jk).

I rarely use my investments for clothes because while I like clothes, it doesn't particularly interest me much. I'd rather have a 100 bucks in my pocket and buy a hard drive or a phone with that money than a Polo RL jumpshirt.

Guest justsomeone

hello all,

..er, all i carry around (very proudly i hasten to add) is just my spv m2000. like another person said before me, i stick my debit card, one or two fivers and another sd card in my leather case and i'm done. all compact and bijou...