Orange to ditch Wildfire

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Upon returning home today, I opened a letter from Orange to be greeted with the sad news that they are withdrawing 'Wildfire', their cool voice controlled answerphone service ;)

Following on from the closure of Orange Everyphone (another great service), this is yet another example of Orange's fantastic services falling by the wayside. Why Orange why? (sob)

Read more about the soon-to-be-deceased Wildfire here.

P

Guest adjonline

Someone didn't notice my earlier moan in 'Smartphone Main' ;)

I'm still majorly annoyed. I called OCS and got told the reason is the American company that made the technology going bust - my knowledge is that it was orginally an in-house product that was sold, and the company that a post on this site says now has the rights to it is www.crtechnologyinc.com, who for all I can see appear to be going strong.

Can't see them changing their minds. Nevertheless, I'd urge any and all to moan - occasionally (as I remember from a long-ago controversy over changes to the original PAYG Out Here from five -> three messages), enough complaints can reverse policy.

Sadly, though, requests for a favour may be at an end. The Cows will be missed!!

A

Guest Will

crazy, was just looking at getting a spare handset and using everyphone for those 'forgot my phone' days. Wildfire was useful, but i never really got hooked. - now i find it's gone ;)

Well done orange, find good idea. other networks take a beating because of it for a while, then ditch it ;)

Guest markd66

Another service "improvement" from Orange.... just as they start running TV ads about looking after their existing customers.

If I didn't use WF so much it would be funny. But it isn't ;)

The sad thing is that O once liked this technology so much, they bought the original comapny (Wildfire Communications Inc) - cost them $148 million back in 2000

A petition to save her has been started here

"Wildfire"

"Here I am!"

"Do me a favour"

"What kind of favour?"

"I'm depressed"

"I'm sorry, but my off switch is controlled by an accountant in France"

<click>

Guest beersoft

but do we get our tenner back now they have stopped the service?

/me looks for a new way to amuse himself whilst looking like his on the phone

later

Owen

Guest adjonline

My letter, which at least one other says does not reflect his, tells me I'll receive £4/month talk credit until I next upgrade (at which point I'm glad I upgraded recently ;) - thought it's nothing really, compared to the value of the service being lost)

Guest Arisme

Well, Orange FR has introduced this (only for the voicemail, and for free) one year ago, and I think it's here to stay. Another fine example of group policies ;)

Edited by Arisme

Guest wideawake

Really bad news. This was the only way I could use my PPC for voice dialing.

Crazy! At what cost to Orange to keep the service online?

*oops I should not I meant voice dialing via bluetooth.

And I haven't received any alternative incentive.....

Edited by wideawake

Guest chucky.egg
...related, but slightly off topic...have you seen this from SpinVox though...I find it really useful...

http://www.spinvox.com/

Cheers

Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's neat!

I've been "testing" it with all sorts of words ;)

We have an SMS system that we can use to issue commands to the systems (things like PINGs and unlock user accounts etc) so now it's all voice-activated too!

Top find there fella

Guest TigerNet
That's neat!

I've been "testing" it with all sorts of words ;)

We have an SMS system that we can use to issue commands to the systems (things like PINGs and unlock user accounts etc) so now it's all voice-activated too!

Top find there fella

Thanks Chucky...here's a snippet from one voicemail:

"just testing how good your phone is, just want to see if it can spell antidisestablishmentarianism or supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I can't think of any more words, I'm gonna try & speak quite quickly, see what your capacity is. Ok, mate, speak soon. Bye."

I have it send my voice mail to me both as text AND e-mail...it's now kept in my Outlook folders!!!

Cheers

Nick

Guest dazza12

I've just posted the following in Pocket PC Main, but just to repeat it here as I've got the Executive Office fax number:

---

If you are a heavy user like me, no doubt you've been using Wildfire, the answerphone replacement that you speak to to retrieve and manage your messages.

Orange bought the company that developed Wildfire some time ago, so it is now an in-house product.

I find it invaluable, as if I am driving I can get my messages without breaking the law (apart from pressing one button on the phone). I can retrieve, delete - even call recipients from within the product.

Imagine my annoyance at receiving a letter this morning announcing that the product will be discontinued at the end of this month (May). Not only do we get very little notice of this fact, but the product isn't being replaced. We revert to the old answerphone service. This is impossible to use in the car, as you need to press buttons on the phone to go to the next message, delete etc, and doesn't save numbers as callers come in. There is a high level of interaction needed.

Orange clearly haven't thought this through. I suspect this is a money decision, unfortunately they've not really paid that much attention to how much some users depend on the product and will be looking to move to a network that provides a better service.

I for one am not happy at this and will be complaining to the Executive Office. If you are in a similar position, I urge you to either write to them or fax them on 0870 374 8129. Don't bother writing to the Correspondance department, they've ignored my last two complaints.

---

Guest chucky.egg
Don't bother writing to the Correspondance department, they've ignored my last two complaints.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hands up everyone who's experienced that!

\o/

Guest Pondrew

Is this really surprising though given that new customer's haven't been able to opt into Wildfire for ages now? They weren't going to maintain the service for what has to be a steadily decreasing number of subscribers...

Guest Paul [MVP]

Signed up for SpinVox, not working very well for me!

Can't get my PIN, and when I call myself, messages don't get thru!

P

Guest chucky.egg

I've "lost" a few test messages from SpinVox, and delivery times seem to be very variable, but all of the short messages I've sent have come through quickly - maybe the longer messages take longer to process and it gets bogged down somewhere.

I've attached it to our SMS-to-Email service and found that all (10 or so) of the short messages I sent were delivered as emails well within 1 minute

More testing required by the sounds of it though

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.