Help with going wireless at home.....please!

Guest kurtfhouse

Guest kurtfhouse

O.k I need to get my internet connection at home wireless but I know nothing about how to go about it :?:

I am on Wanadoo 1Mbps and my laptop does not have Wi-Fi.

Any tips on what router I need that will work with Wanadoo and what will I need for my laptop? :oops:

I really don't feel confident in buying any hardware without seeking advice with people in the know, and this is the best place I know ;)

I am not looking to spend the earth as long as it does the job thats fine, I was quoted £150 by BT just to connect an already fitted phone socket in a more convenient place :evil:....... so I thought sod it, its time to go wireless instead ;)

Any help at all would be great

Thanks

Kurt

Edited by kurtfhouse

Guest nedge2k

Get a PCMCIA wifi card for the lappy and a normal router for ur adsl modem. Dont get an integrated adsl router because

a)they're more expensive and

:P if you ever have a cable internet connection you'll have to buy a new router.

I bought my router and pcmcia card from Toy R Us (!) for the reasonable sum of £75 ;)

PCMCIA Card

Router

Belkin has a lifetime warrenty on their products too ;)

If you have a bit more money to spend go for "Super G" which is 108mbps as opposed to the standard 802.11g speed of 54mbps.

Hope it helps.

Guest kurtfhouse

Cheers Nedge2K!, Will take a look at Toys R Us. £75 sounds fine.

What do BT think they're doing, I can get what is to me an upgrade for half the price of them doing a five minute connection job!

The only thing I am confused about now is if I get a normal router not integrated, the signal is sent to my laptop via the PCMCIA card, great, but how do I get it to run through my modem? (its a USB modem)

Also if I get the router and I decide to get a Wi-Fi SD card for my JAM can I use the broadband connection on it aswell?

Sorry about these questions its just I know nothing about wireless networks!

Guest mike-oh

Your cable modem should just connect into the back of your router (i think this is usually done by ethernet).

I think you should be able to use the jam on it too (i'm pretty sure wi-fi and wireless home networks are essentially the same).

As for where to buy from, check out www.ebuyer.co.uk loads of cheap computery goodness.

Guest beersoft

if its dsl (which wannadoo normaly is) i recomend the belkin dsl/wifi router and there pcmcia cards which is what i use

later

Owen

Guest nato

Dont forget to lock it down thought m8 - just the thought of me paying for someone else to surf the net at my expense did it for me! ;)

Guest nedge2k

Nah you just set the router to only allow the mac address of the lappy (and the jam if you get a card). That way it doesnt slow down ur connection with all the overheads the full on security brings.

If its a usb ONLY modem then you will need to get a router that replaces the modem (ie a dsl router). As beer said, go for belkin...they rock ;)

Guest kurtfhouse

Well I am now wireless! I got a bBelkin PCMCIA network card and a Netgear router with the ADSL modem built in, the router looks pretty good, its an i-pod white one.

It only took 15 minutes to set up as well which surprised me as I have no experience at all!

For security I have taken Nedge2K's advice and set it up to only allow access to my lappys mac address (whatever that is???)

Cheers for your help and advice people ;)/