ETEN M500

Guest Blakey

Guest Blakey

Just switched to O2 from Orange. Definitely better signal. However the fact of the matter is that the ETEN has worse signal than a Nokia dedicated phone. I guess that's to be expected as it's not a dedicated phone and also, as far as I can tell Nokia have some of the best reception of all phones. Still, at least my ETEN is now usable as a phone again. Hurrah!

Also, it appears ETEN are about to release another ROM update (the fourth since the m500 was released I believe), which is said to improve GSM quality. Hopefully that means reception will improve too.

Cheers

Blakey

Guest lorismarcos

Has any1 noticed that when u use wisbar advance on the m500 , u miss all your calls. :shock:

Edited by lorismarcos

Guest bennish

Hey

Has anyone managed to actually find a t9/itap/predictive text program for the eten m500? I'd really like one, there's a thread about one on an xda dev site but i can't seem to find it. Anyone know of a free or inexpensive one? I just like being able to use mobile phone style texting sometimes.

Guest Blakey

I also had a look on the XDA developers site for that software but couldn't find it either. Oh well, I'm actually quite happy to use the stylus to send texts.

I have now completed my switch over to O2 PAYG from Orange contract. The reception on O2 is much better in my area than Orange so my ETEN is now usable as a phone again. Its certainly not as good as a "normal" phone's RF though, so I'm hoping that this week's ROM patch will improve it once more. If it does so, I think this will be the killer PPC-Phone of the moment - if it's not already.

Cheers

Blakey

Guest teddy_kkk

Hi Blakey or whoever owns M500,

Can you let me know on the SARS value of the M500? Maybe this will explain why it has such a bad reception as well. I am considering buying one but it will be my primary phone as well, so have to make sure its reception is good enuf! ;)!

Thanx!!!!

Guest Blakey
Hi Blakey or whoever owns M500,

Can you let me know on the SARS value of the M500? Maybe this will explain why it has such a bad reception as well. I am considering buying one but it will be my primary phone as well, so have to make sure its reception is good enuf! ;)!

Thanx!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what the manual says:

Warning: Reduced electromagnetic waves, please use properly.

SAR standard value: 1.6 mW/g

Actual test value: 0.24 mW/g

That means nothing to me, but that's what it says...

Blakey

Guest Blakey

I just heard over on Howard Forums that ETEN are planning on providing an upgrade to Win Mob 5.0 for the ETEN m500 by September this year. We shall see of course, but that's what they claim...

Blakey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boyo69

as a frequent visitor to the US, i am seriously thinking of getting one of these devices for the Quad feature.....

some questions if i may

Paul - i asked Blakey whether the call quality out of the speaker was any louder/clearer than the Jam..... whilst the new Jam Rom has improved the call quality, i still think it's a little 'weak'............any comments as you have owned both

Car chargers - any available? can i butcher another manufacturers????

cheers !

Guest Blakey

The default charger / USB connection is what I use to charge mine in the car. I have a collection of cigarette lighter->USB plugs now so I can charge anything in the car which can be charged from a USB connection. So that is what I use. Works fine.

I have also owned both the JAM and ETEN m500 and I couldn't tell you if there was particularly a difference in the voice quality. I don't think so, particularly.

One thing I would say is that I am really struggling with reception on the ETEN. I changed from Orange as a provider to O2 as O2 has better reception at my house than Orange which is virtually no reception. That helped, but generally it is very noticeable that the ETEN reception is much worse than "normal" phones wherever I have it.

I am desperately trying to figure out if there is a way to improve the reception, otherwise I might have to sell the m500, which would be a real shame because other than that it is a superb piece of kit.

Blakey

Guest lorismarcos

I have a problem with the camera on my m500.

There is no continuous shutter in the photo mode.There is only normal , timer and portrait.

:cry:

Guest brykins
The default charger / USB connection is what I use to charge mine in the car.  I have a collection of cigarette lighter->USB plugs now so I can charge anything in the car which can be charged from a USB connection.  So that is what I use.  Works fine.

If you know a bit about chargers, maybe you can advise me....I have a Jam and I have a generic bluetooth GPS unit. The GPS unit came with one of those cigarette lighter -> USB charger adaptors and I wondered if I could charge the Jam from it?

The JAM wall charger says: 5V .... 1A

The GPS wall charger says: 5.3V .... 0.5A

Would this indicate that the GPS car -> USB adaptor will not charge the JAM?

It's all very confusing....I know about stuff that goes down pipes (water, air, etc) and nothing about stuff that goes down cables ;-)

Guest bennish

has anyone found a way to use the camera 'flash' as an led torch? would be a great function... never worked on mpx220 but maybe non-smartphone wm2003se would be easier to do it in..?

Guest pdaxtras
has anyone found a way to use the camera 'flash' as an led torch? would be a great function... never worked on mpx220 but maybe non-smartphone wm2003se would be easier to do it in..?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow I was told that the m500 doesn't have a flash, is this the same as the m500 on Orange?

Guest jaschag

Blakey,

I have had an E-TEN M500 and an SPV M500 for the last few days both on Orange and I can say that the E-TEN definitely has worse reported signal strength (approx 20% less according to Phone Dashboard). Whether this is reported or actual is a bit immaterial since the phone will not connect to a network if it thinks it does not have a sufficient signal. I will try to make some calls from both in a low signal area to see whether there is a difference in perceived quality. Am reluctantly contemplating changing the E-TEN for an SPV...

Jascha

The default charger / USB connection is what I use to charge mine in the car.  I have a collection of cigarette lighter->USB plugs now so I can charge anything in the car which can be charged from a USB connection.  So that is what I use.  Works fine.

I have also owned both the JAM and ETEN m500 and I couldn't tell you if there was particularly a difference in the voice quality.  I don't think so, particularly.

One thing I would say is that I am really struggling with reception on the ETEN.  I changed from Orange as a provider to O2 as O2 has better reception at my house than Orange which is virtually no reception.  That helped, but generally it is very noticeable that the ETEN reception is much worse than "normal" phones wherever I have it.

I am desperately trying to figure out if there is a way to improve the reception, otherwise I might have to sell the m500, which would be a real shame because other than that it is a superb piece of kit.

Blakey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest chrisbpr
If you know a bit about chargers, maybe you can advise me....I have a Jam and I have a generic bluetooth GPS unit. The GPS unit came with one of those cigarette lighter -> USB charger adaptors and I wondered if I could charge the Jam from it?

The JAM wall charger says: 5V .... 1A

The GPS wall charger says: 5.3V .... 0.5A

Would this indicate that the GPS car -> USB adaptor will not charge the JAM?

It's all very confusing....I know about stuff that goes down pipes (water, air, etc) and nothing about stuff that goes down cables ;-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in theory you could charge the gps from the jam charger but not the other way round as the current is too low for the battery , but give it a go ..it just may charge alot slower .its all down to the current the charger suppies the voltage is ok as .3 of a volt is neither here nor there.

if the car charger pokes out more than 1 amp i should charge the devices' individually but not together for that you would need 1.5/2 amps from the car charger.

if you want to give it a go watch carefully how warm the charger gets.

have fun

p.s. i am a sparky

I am just about to take delivery of a nice new m500. I heard in the grapevine that one should initially hard reset it, to free up memory. Is this a myth? If one does hard reset, is all that lovelye pre-installed software from E-ten lost or is that "etched" in the ROM along with the 2003SE standard sofware?

Guest bennish
I am just about to take delivery of a nice new m500. I heard in the grapevine that one should initially hard reset it, to free up memory. Is this a myth? If one does hard reset, is all that lovelye pre-installed software from E-ten lost or is that "etched" in the ROM along with the 2003SE standard sofware?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can tell you that I've hard reset mine at one stage, and all the Eten software remains. It appears to be built into the ROM.

On a side note, I've seen that on the Eten site they have a caller photo program, but it isn't on the M500... anyone know what the deal is with that?

Also i'm guessing noone knows of a way to use that flash as a torch... it's funny, it flashes when you soft reset... wish there was a way to switch it on and off to stay on etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rameses

If you bring up your contacts list and then go to 'Tools' select 'InCall Recognition' from the menu.

Hey Presto - Caller Photo Program.

You can set up individual ring tones and pictures for your contacts. 8)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest martinwilliams999

I inquired after buying an Eten M500 this morning, but the supplier had stopped stocking them as so many customers had had problems with them.

How are they for reliability in general?

Any news on the release date for the WiFi M600?

I've heard that new M500's are already shipping with WM5, is this right?

Guest mavisdavis

I've had my M500 for less than a month now and can confirm its NOT Windows mobile 5 :o

EDIT

:oops: Feel a bit stupid now as I thought it was a SPV M500 you were on about :oops:

Edited by mavisdavis