Update: SPV C550 - Release Date (No WM2005?)

Guest guanche

Guest guanche

I just got of the phone with the Orange center (NL) and they could give me with the definitive release date!

It will be available in Juli, but 'probably available in the Orange Shops from June'.

They will send me the full official technical report today, but he read it to me and it stated that it will include WINDOWS MOBILE 2005 when it's shipped!!!!

-260.000 colors

-1.3 megapixel camera + flash

-Windows Mobile 2003 SE (specs sheet states WM'05..upgradable perhaps?)

See full specs in Attachted PDF.

Regards

EDIT:

I got the information in my mailbox. It doesn't look too official (that's because it isn't ;) ), and it's in Dutch. But you can take my word for it, or let other NL Modaco users call orange.

spvC550.pdf

Edited by guanche

Guest guanche
Well, even if that is true, Orange UK will probably release it with WM2003se round about the end of next year!  :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would they do that? :?:

Guest drblow

:D I was merely being insulting about Orange UK, who have a very chequered history of releasing products a long time after others. The possibility of the C550 including WM2005 has been discussed here previosuly, and has not been confirmed. And again, I was being insulting about the possibility of Orange UK actually providing this.

Put it this way ... if Orange UK does indeed provide the C550 with WM2005 by the end of June, then I will eat not only my own hat, but also any other hats that members of this forum would like to send me! ;)

Guest guanche

I don't know much about the different approach Orange UK and NL handle, but it would be very strange if they launch it in holland with WM05 and in UK with WM2003se.

So I will send my orange cap now, so it'll arive on time :D

Hmm, I am wondering if the tele worker just didn't know that this info isn't officialy confirmed yet. I was thinking on how to prove this email is genuine.. I could post an screenshot of the mail with the headers, but with a simple DOM editor that's also easely tweaked.. let alone photoshop... If anyone has a good way to prove an email is real.. tell me ;)

Anywayz.. the delay will be well worth it when it really does ship with 128mb

Guest Paul [MVP]

guanche, if you would like to talk to me about the C550 in confidence, mail me on Paul [at] MoDaCo [dot] com ;)

P

Can confirm that today the validity of the previous posts. I read a report stating its release in July here in the UK earlier at work today!

Unfortunetly its not clear about the WM05 situation but its definitily in line for July. Even listed as the HTC C550 as opposed to SPV C550 - so not sure if thats a positive indication (Orange not ommitting features/software)?

Guest guanche
Can confirm that today the validity of the previous posts. I read a report stating its release in July here in the UK earlier at work today!

Unfortunetly its not clear about the WM05 situation but its definitily in line for July. Even listed as the HTC C550 as opposed to SPV C550 - so not sure if thats a positive indication (Orange not ommitting features/software)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you also confirm the hardware upgrade?

Guest stevebutcher

I would imagine that it's going to be very unlikely it will have WM2005, after all the OS only went RTM to HTC etc end of May.

And if it was I'm sure there would be more 'traffic' on the various sites just like there is for the HTC Wizard etc.

Guest commonpersonjustlykeverybody

c550 = wm2005?

128 mb = rom?

i hope this is correct ;)

i wouldn't say anything, till it is released here in uk.

probably next year!!! :D

with orange uk everything is not certain, there is always a big ? on their every statements.

Edited by commonpersonjustlykeverybody

Guest guanche

I tried to get a statement from the Orange press informants, but I just got an email back with the line (more or less) 'As long as it is not released, we cannot give any information'

And that's more than logical that they won't do that seeing the sceptic reactions towards Orange statements.

I wonder if I should enquire more by replying to the Orange Service employee who gave me the fact sheet (pdf above) and asking for more information and why the press center keeps its lips together. But would it be worth the trouble? Afterall we'll see it within 31 days. ;)

Guest bigmak

I'm in contract situation until 8/20/05.

My thoughts are: first it was may, then june, now july (for England). Since I live in Switzerland (where a lot of things happen even more slowly) it might still be fresh on the market when I can get it! ;)

Guest Leon1970

If you click on the images of the C550 (at engadget's website), it takes you to coolsmartphone.com. There it says, "The latest gossip is that the Orange SPV C550 (pictured) will be launched on Orange on July 11th 2005".

Guest guanche

Today at the orange shop website (NL):

Specificaties

tri-band voor bereik in vijf continenten

ondersteunt mms

toegang tot Orange World

Bluetooth

synchroniseerbaar met Outlook

ingebouwde media player

1.3 megapixel camera

Windows Mobile 2003 SE

Specifications

tri-band for connection  in Five continents

Supports mms

Access to Orange World

Bluetooth

Synchroniseable with Outlook

Build-in media player

1.3 megapixel camera

Windows Mobile 2003 SE

:evil: :evil:

So this is fundamentaly different with what the Orange Center told me.

I will ask for an claryfication later this day..

edit: Typo

Edited by guanche

went into my Orange shop today and they had no reease date BUT it was in their monthly magazine As "Coming Soon" assistant said that it could be within a month

Guest timalloy6711
Ignore me, being stupid

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right guys here is the score....the C550 is going to be released early next month (JUly) I wrote an e-mail to Orange disgusted at their cstmr svcs lack of knowledge and they left me a voice message saying they had seen this phone on the internet!!! and would now list it as an option to upgrade. I'm still thinking of switching to O2 and gettin a Samsung D500

Guest furby
Right guys here is the score....the C550 is going to be released early next month (JUly)  I wrote an e-mail to Orange disgusted at their  cstmr svcs lack of knowledge and they left me a voice message saying they had seen this phone on the internet!!!   and would now list it as an option to upgrade.   I'm still thinking of switching to O2 and gettin a Samsung D500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) You have to laugh

edit/ Did they say which site

Edited by Furby™

Guest Pondrew
;) You have to laugh

edit/ Did they say which site

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They might mean the Orange Intranet that is only available to Orange staff mainly as a training resource... SO not as silly as it sounds!

Guest timalloy6711
They might mean the Orange Intranet that is only available to Orange staff mainly as a training resource... SO not as silly as it sounds!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes it is true I hat to tell THEM that the phone was featured on this site's forums......I think the guy was quite thankful I had let him in on the Orange secret!! (I think their call ctr is in Newcastle judging by the accents and 1 or 2 of them are absolutely :roll: feckin hopeless)

somebody give me a push!!! C550 or Samsung D500 (it has 80mb of memory)

My favourite thing since owning a smartphone is the tom tom mobile app but I could use a sim card in my e200 for that and keep the d500 seperate for calls?