c500 help

Guest robbster

Guest robbster

Hi I just wondered if anyone could help me with a quick query? My girlfriend has a samsung phone currently with a genie (o2) card inside but now she has seen my c500 on orange she has decided to get rid of hers and get one of these instead because there is so much more you can do with it. Only thing is she wants to keep the pay and go genie card. I've been doing a bit of research from these forums and am I right in thinking that I could:

1 Buy a c500 off of ebay or from the orange shop on pay and go

2 Get the phone sim unlocked via the website imei-check or similar

3 Flash the firmware over to the sp3i or qtek

4 insert her genie card and all is done

If this is the case then which firmware is the best, sp3i or qtek? Also how would I go about getting the correct settings for the genie sim? Could i go to the o2 website and get them to send over the settings via text?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Rob

Guest robbster

Thanks Awarner

I actually didnt know that flashing the phone was illegal at all, why is this? I just thought leaving the orange firmware on would make it untidy with a 02 sim in and loads of orange crap on.

Cheers

Rob

Guest awarner [MVP]

Flashing the phone is not ilegal but as the the Qtek and Imate ROMs are only available to owners of said devices by via the official websites. Obtaining them from other sources would not be legal as they have not been released to the general public unlike Orange ROMs.

Guest robbster

Thanks Awarner I understand what you mean now ;) I've done a search and found the unlocking file mcwarre so I am going to try that, thanks for the advice :D

I've just bought a c500 on ebay for a decent price but I'm not sure if the phone is app unlocked or not. How would I get the phone app unlocked to put on the required cab file for sim unlocking if I dont have the original orange sim? Doesnt app unlocking require you to give a phone number aswell as the imei number?

Thanks again

Rob

Guest awarner [MVP]

You need to app unlock via the Orange developers site, the link you need is in the Quick Link sticky post in this section.

You do not need the original SIM to application unlock your phone.

Guest usdiver

Hi, sorry to intrude, but just wanted to say that if you need any help with settings, I have the genie card as well. After you get the phone unlocked, you can find the gprs settings on here...(make sure sim card is provisioned for gprs)... you might have to do some tweeks, but well worth it. And from experience, I personally would have an unlocked phone from another operator, as the o2 active programs that are automatically installed on o2 phones can be a pain.

Guest robbster

Thanks for the tip usdiver. I've found the genie settings post on here so just waiting on the phone coming so I can do all the necessary stuff ;)