Delete System Files on Audiovox SMT 5600

Guest Abecedarian

Guest Abecedarian

I stumbled across a post some time ago, and don’t believe that it was ever properly answered. So, here is my solution, although I believe it goes a few steps further in empowering the user.

In the Audiovox SMT 5600, users cannot uncheck the “System” attribute on any files, regardless of whether they were there after a hard reset or otherwise. This makes them impossible to delete, which is a pain when one wishes to overhaul their start menu or, more important, get rid of obnoxious files that can’t be deleted. I have no idea where to get ROMs and can’t afford to unlock my phone, so I am unsure whether users of the c500 have the same problem.

However, there is a solution!

Three clues:

(1) On the SMT, the user cannot delete system files, although downloaded programs can delete them as far as I am aware. This leads to clutter, and seems to indicate that local commands can do so (assuming I am correct about downloaded programs).

(2) Using the elementary File Manager that came with the phone, the user can MOVE - and only move - system files. No other file explorer, including the amazing SmartExplorer, can even do this.

(3) I believe that anything put into the '\Temp' folder is automatically deleted after rebooting. At the very least, that folder is found empty afterwards.

WHICH MEANS THAT...

Combining (2) and (3), it looks as though any system file can be deleted. At least, I've never had any trouble with respect to any files located in '\Storage' and '\Storage Card'. Simply open file manager, then use Menu -> 1 File -> 4 Move To (or simply select six when in the main area of the browser), and move the naughty file into the “Temp” folder that is located between ‘Storage Card’ and ‘Windows’ at the top of the file tree. Restart, and – assuming your phone survives – enjoy your newfound freedom!

Two more points:

(4) I have no idea if this actually frees up memory or just makes things look pretty. Perhaps somebody can experiment with this and figure out whether the files are permanently erased and leave free memory behind. My instinct is that the OS uses that folder for precisely this purpose, disposing of temporary files that it would prefer you not meddle with. For example, if WMP updates the library, it must dispose of the old information - which was system locked - to make way for the new.

(5) USE WITH CAUTION. This trick should give you the power to delete important files. As I haven't gotten ahold of a Cingular ROM yet, I haven't studied anything to do with ROMs, including what files are considered part of them. However, if you can see ROM files with File Manager, then you can kill them. Which is probably a bad idea.

Hope this helps!

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi,

AFAIK, system files like coredll.dll and other hidden, system (and protected) files cannot be copied or moved to the temp folder using simple copy-paste technique. In-ROM files cannot be deleted either as they get re-written on a reboot.

There are even archive, non-hidden, non-system files (thus doesn't have read only attribute) which cannot be copied/moved. Take the case of 'MsgQueueDataFileMicrosoft Broadcast Message SMS Protocol (Receive Only)' inside root Windows folder which is around 2.71Mb. You'll get 'sharing violation' error since the file is being used by the system so cannot be copied, deleted or even modified whilest system is on.

Guest Abecedarian
Hi,

AFAIK, system files like coredll.dll and other hidden, system (and protected) files cannot be copied or moved to the temp folder using simple copy-paste technique. In-ROM files cannot be deleted either as they get re-written on a reboot.

There are even archive, non-hidden, non-system files (thus doesn't have read only attribute) which cannot be copied/moved. Take the case of 'MsgQueueDataFileMicrosoft Broadcast Message SMS Protocol (Receive Only)' inside root Windows folder which is around 2.71Mb. You'll get 'sharing violation' error since the file is being used by the system so cannot be copied, deleted or even modified whilest system is on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean that ALL files with the 'Hidden' and 'System' attributes cannot be moved, or just that certain one's with that attribute cannot? Because in my experience, files with those attributes can be moved (but not deleted).

For example, I wanted to reorder my Start Menu, but have them as non-system files so I can copy the entirety of my re-ordered Start Menu to my computer in case I decided to fry my phone and reinstall everything, as I do periodically. The majority of these files are 'Archive' and 'System', but went to their dooms quite smoothly. As did 'SimTkUI.lnk', which is 'System' AND 'Hidden'.

However, the one thing I noticed is that my new version of SimTkUI.lnk became System after a turning my phone on and off, although the other files did not revert. Probably got overwritten. But, still, not ALL System files behave that way. Similarly, one of the default homescreens that I disliked (AWS.SomethingIForgot) was succesfully trashed as well, and only returns after a Hard reset.

So, is it having 'Hidden' that makes System files come back after a regular reset, or just something that happens for some files during boot phase, according to a script that I haven't seen or haven't looked for?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi Abecedarian, ;)

I was referring to the files inside root \Windows folder and yes there are files marked 'System' inside that folder which can be moved or copied to say a folder on your PC. Example is 'Camera.exe' inside \Windows folder.

Other 'System'-marked files elsewhere, LNKs in particular, are not hard to move (you can easily move shortcuts in ActiveSync). Re-ordering of Start menu entries (via registry editing) can be successfully performed on an app-unlocked phone.

You can easily change the 'System' attribute say of an LNK on your PC then import the LNK back to your phone.

Guest Abecedarian
I was referring to the files inside root \Windows folder and yes there are files marked 'System' inside that folder which can be moved or copied to say a folder on your PC. Example is 'Camera.exe' inside \Windows folder.

Other 'System'-marked files elsewhere, LNKs in particular, are not hard to move (you can easily move shortcuts in ActiveSync). Re-ordering of Start menu entries (via registry editing) can be successfully performed on an app-unlocked phone.

You can easily change the 'System' attribute say of an LNK on your PC then import the LNK back to your phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi pzee. Thanks for working with me on this, and for all your previous great advice. My registry has undergone numerous surgeries as a result of your past posts, and I am quite pleased with the results!

I am not sure if we understand this the same way, but I am guessing that by "ActiveSync Connection" people are refering to their ability to open a window with their Mobile Device, much as they might explorer a removable hard drive (although with no letter in my case).

One of the main reason I titled this post as being related to the SMT is that I had slowly come under the impression from previous postings that c500 users were able to muck around with files via their ActiveSync connection. I use ActiveSync 4.0, but I recall not being able to muck around with certain files on my PC even in earlier versions of 3.7.blah and 3.8.

Anyways, in the purpose of figuring out what makes this so different, I've recorded a few examples of what happens when I try to muck with System-attribute files. Given that SPV-Developers have noted that their unlock does not work on the Audiovox SMT 5600, I am guessing that this issue could play a role in many other endeavors.

So, my experiments:

First, I opened the Properties function in my opened Window on my PC. This gave full information, but did not allow us the option of checking or unchecking any of the attributes.

I tried to copy '\Windows\Camera.exe' to my PC via drag-and-drop, and was given an error prompt on my PC with the title "Error Copying File":

Cannot copy Camera: Executable and resource files in ROM cannot be copied.
The same thing happened when I tried the normal copy-paste functions. I then tried it with a basic .lnk that has the 'System' attribute, '\Storage\windows\z-Start Menu\Calendar.lnk'. (My main Start Menu folder now consists of the non-system attribute links that I created by opening the locked tweaks Tillanosoft Notepad and resaving them as .txt's. After finishing, I renamed the original 'Start Menu' to 'z-Start Menu' and changed my .txt's to .lnk's. They work perfectly, and throw no tantrums if I try to muck around with them.) I got the following message, again titled "Error Copying File", in response:
Cannot copy Calendar: Access is denied.

Make sure your mobile device has sufficient memory, and that the file is not set as read-only, and that you have permission to copy this file type.
I then tried renaming it, using the window on my PC. This time, I got "Error Renaming File":
Cannot rename Calendar: Access is denied.

Make sure your mobile device has sufficient memory, that the file is not set as read-only, and that you have permission to copy this file type

Now, here is what really makes me furious. I believe that Windows Media 10 creates a database for each storage section when Updating its' library, and then stores it in the respective internal memory/card. Certainly has advantages if a person wants to swap mini-sds around.

On my storage card, it creates a folder '\Storage Card\MSMETADATA' with the file 'XMEMediaLibrary.mlb' inside. This can be obnoxious and unsightly, so I sometimes want it gone given that I strongly dislike WMP and use it only when I must (yes, there is no shortage of irony here!).

While the .mlb file can be deleted, the folder itself throws up an error message. I don't think I need to really post it, as it pretty much follows all previous trends.

Deleting, Copying, Renaming. This functions cannot be done on the Smartphone and, in my experience, cannot be done on the PC either.

Anything I am doing wrong, or ideas why this is happening? Do other SMT users have the same experience? Could this be related to how SIM-unlocking for the c500 may not be the same as for the SMT5600?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi,

I really don't know why you cannot move the camera exe file but for purpose of explanation, allow me to expound a bit.

On my PC, I have these 'Folder Options' setup:

post-12251-1119446156_thumb.jpg

post-12251-1119446231_thumb.jpg

Notice the 2nd photo, I have enabled 'Show hidden files and folders' and unmarked 'Hide extension' and 'Hide Protected operating system files'.

I am not jumping into conclusion though that the above setup is the lone reason why I can copy the camera exe from my phones \Windows folder to my PC.

post-12251-1119446510_thumb.jpg

Do you have the same setup on your machine?

• 8 months later...
Guest noordwyk

Hi guys

its been fun locking and unlocking my HTC a.k.a. T-mobile SDA11.

i have been to threads to teach you how to re-assign buttons etc.

Would be nice to get rid of t-zones and launch BTToggler or Task Manager from Short_***.lnk files

Every time the phone gets reset, the ROM files are restored and overwritten.

I have used Mossywell's Copyfiles02 as well. there seems to be no way to change the system files in the windows folder's attributes so that I can overwrite them, or even delete them.

Its a ROM thing. I have no clue about the CID stuff. and that is where I want to throw in the towel.

Any Suggestions ! Please help oh smart ones :?:

Thanks for a great site :|

• 1 year later...

Use the program called "Total Commander". It is like the file manager but 100% better.

I stumbled across a post some time ago, and don’t believe that it was ever properly answered. So, here is my solution, although I believe it goes a few steps further in empowering the user.

In the Audiovox SMT 5600, users cannot uncheck the “System” attribute on any files, regardless of whether they were there after a hard reset or otherwise. This makes them impossible to delete, which is a pain when one wishes to overhaul their start menu or, more important, get rid of obnoxious files that can’t be deleted. I have no idea where to get ROMs and can’t afford to unlock my phone, so I am unsure whether users of the c500 have the same problem.

However, there is a solution!

Three clues:

(1) On the SMT, the user cannot delete system files, although downloaded programs can delete them as far as I am aware. This leads to clutter, and seems to indicate that local commands can do so (assuming I am correct about downloaded programs).

(2) Using the elementary File Manager that came with the phone, the user can MOVE - and only move - system files. No other file explorer, including the amazing SmartExplorer, can even do this.

(3) I believe that anything put into the '\Temp' folder is automatically deleted after rebooting. At the very least, that folder is found empty afterwards.

WHICH MEANS THAT...

Combining (2) and (3), it looks as though any system file can be deleted. At least, I've never had any trouble with respect to any files located in '\Storage' and '\Storage Card'. Simply open file manager, then use Menu -> 1 File -> 4 Move To (or simply select six when in the main area of the browser), and move the naughty file into the “Temp” folder that is located between ‘Storage Card’ and ‘Windows’ at the top of the file tree. Restart, and – assuming your phone survives – enjoy your newfound freedom!

Two more points:

(4) I have no idea if this actually frees up memory or just makes things look pretty. Perhaps somebody can experiment with this and figure out whether the files are permanently erased and leave free memory behind. My instinct is that the OS uses that folder for precisely this purpose, disposing of temporary files that it would prefer you not meddle with. For example, if WMP updates the library, it must dispose of the old information - which was system locked - to make way for the new.

(5) USE WITH CAUTION. This trick should give you the power to delete important files. As I haven't gotten ahold of a Cingular ROM yet, I haven't studied anything to do with ROMs, including what files are considered part of them. However, if you can see ROM files with File Manager, then you can kill them. Which is probably a bad idea.

Hope this helps!