C550 - Some good/some bad points

Guest Simon Desser

Guest hotphil
There's a new button on top of the volume keys which launches Internet Explorer which is handy

Also, is it a new thing that holding the Home key gives a different quick list than the one that a tap on the power button produces?

Guest paulrw

Comparing battery life between C550 and E200, after I got my C550 initial set up done I took it off charge, and left my fully charged E200 on standby (bluetooth on on both). Using the C550 normally, the E200 got the battery warning up at about the same time the C550 lost its first bar. Awesome, an SPV that actually works as a mobile phone without being plugged in :)

The voice dialling is brilliant just hold down the button on the BT device, and another thing that now works is that it hands off between the phone and the bluetooth set (car in my case) as you go in and out of range - the E200 would just stay locked into whatever it was to start with. This is really useful as I can now be talking on the phone walking to the car, and have it transfer over to the loudspeaker as I get in and drive off - there must be at least 5 minutes a month saved through that alone :D

Guest Pagemakers
The power management settings don't seem to work, it seems that whatever setting you apply to the backlight, also gets used for the screen timeout. So if you have the backlight set to go off after 15 seconds, then your screen goes blank too!  :?:

1) Simon, is this still an issue?

2) When in silent profile do you get the new vibrating icon at the top of the screen (as per the latest C500 update)?

Guest benzo
The power management settings don't seem to work, it seems that whatever setting you apply to the backlight, also gets used for the screen timeout. So if you have the backlight set to go off after 15 seconds, then your screen goes blank too!  :?:

I'm also getting this, which is quite irritating.

Guest pd.ryder
1) Simon, is this still an issue?

2) When in silent profile do you get the new vibrating icon at the top of the screen (as per the latest C500 update)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and yes.

Yes, and yes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought the C550 and think this is a bad move is anyone wants to upgrade from the C500. Ok the camera is better and the screen is but the machine still takes forever to boot and trying to use bluetooth is a nightmare.

I am sendign the phone back as twice the bluetooth locked when trying to send a file to either my pc or other phone and could not receive anything via bluetooth.

I would have thought they would have vamped the software slightly, but i am now waiting for the next release of software.

:cry:

Guest Simon Desser

As far as this backlight/screen going blank issue is concerned, I've realised it's not a bug with the power management settings as I originally thought.

It's simply that this new screen is not "viewable" without the backlight on!

If you look very carefully at the screen in good light, you can see that it's still on and the information is actually there, it's just so dark that it looks like the screen is off!

So I reckon it's something we'll just have to put up with :-(

Guest drblow

I got mine yesterday, and have to say I'm fairly pleased actually! The new screen is great - loads more rrom for homescreen designs & plguins galore! :) & most of the apps I use regularly seem to work OK. The only ones that dont so far are Xbar & Virtual Pool - both of which is a major bummer, but I'm sure they'll get a fix soon. All the plugins I have tried so far work great (RJTime, Orange e200, smartmonitor). Facade needs a bit of work on the launcher bar, but they are looking at a fix right now.

I really like the new look & feel. The buttons are good, infact I like them better than the c500 & the small back/home keys have not caused me any bother & I like the media player buttons coz I use that alot, and now I dont even need a homescreen plugin to access it. & I like the IE button!

I like the wee clock display when you unlock the keys. I like having more options onscreen in the start menu. Overall I'm quite happy really!

Oh, and while I think of it, for homescreens the softkeys area is 27 pixels (as mentioned here before), but so is the iconbar plugin if it is used. The height of it can't be altered inthe xml so it will need to take up 27 pixels in any homescreen design. :D

EDIT - not to mention the fact that smartmonitor tells me I have 70% free RAM when I boot up!! :shock: My C500 never displayed more than 40% even from a fresh startup.

Edited by drblow

from the descriptions I take it games are doing something like this :-

(this is based on appearance, rather than actual pixel dimensions)

Smartphone appearance :-

post-2098-1122135621_thumb.jpg

550 appearance:-

post-2098-1122135657_thumb.jpg

the reason I ask is that the emulator doesn't do this, it crashes if the game isn't the right resolution

muff

Guest peekie

sadly eclipse is a small postage stamp on the screen , least it still works :) had a few games that dont work at all :D need someone to make a tweak that makes the screen zoom in anyone ???? the small screen is a bit like when modaco changed and the avis grew in size but on the 550 its sadly the other way

Guest TheBadger

Personally I'm very happy with my C550, the screen is so much clearer than the 500 and it doesnt appear to be any slower. The games not being full screen isnt too irritating although it would be nice to play fullscreen. But I'm sure fixes will be out soon enough.

Guest pd.ryder

I'm in the process of getting my firs replacement. I don't knoe if any of you have noticed this problem - the in-call volume keys do absolutely nothing. Either all the way down or all the way up, the volume remains the same. It's fine with messing up the system volume(!) and the handsfree/speakerphone volume, and the 'slider' works. It just won't work with the in-call volume. :)

Guest toon9
hows the battery time on the c550? Compared to the c500 that is

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've returned two handsets to Orange for what I considered poor battery life.

Others here have disagreed. I've only come across one other user that has the same issue.

My C500 battery at 11 months old seems ot perform better.

Taking into consideration there are very very few people reporting this - I have considered myself unlucky with the two C550's - I just could not bring my self to go through the same thign with a third - I bottled it.

C500 still does everything it says on the tin !

Guest A.Hughes

Toon9, you are not the only one, i got my new C550 kast thursday and i have had to charge it every day.

example, i charged the phone and took it off charge at 7.30pm (yesterday, Saturday), at 9.30am this morning (sunday) the battery was down to 33%!!! I made one 5 minute call!!! By 10.30am today it was at one bar and less than 20%!!!

I am sending back and getting a replacement, if i have the same problem with the replacement, i'm staying with the C500 until the C600 arrives, if it actually does.

Fingers crossed keep you posted, can anyone share their experience of battery life, would like to know exactly what to expect, in advance, thanks everyone :?:

Guest Pagemakers

I agree the batter life certainly does appear less. Mine went from OK battery to "low battery warning" to turning off in about 30 mins!

Maybe that's why the screen keeps turning off to help conserve battery power.

Guest toon9

Back with my C500 over the weekend.

Bluetooth used for a couple of hours when driving both Sat and Sun.

From fully chraged it has only lost 11% as of 06:55 this morning. It hasn't been switched off at all since Friday tea time.

This battery is eleven months old but way way out performs the one that came with my to C550's (One of which is in the packed waiting for a returnns envelope from Orange)

The sneak pics I've seen of the "C600" over the weekend are a lot similar to the C500 - let's hope battery life is similar

Guest spudboy
They'll surely improve the battery life in future models BUT it could be that QVGA just requires more power...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ive found the 550 battery is way better than my e200 but that goes without saying, i got mine at about 3pm and whacked it on charge without turning the blighter on, left it overnight, say about 20 hours in total and got back to it turned it on, went out to a festival type thing, took a load of pics, shot some video, played with all the new stuff on it, got a bit pissed and woke up the next day with it still switched on and not on charge, it was still about 85%battery, the other day i went my mates house after charging it up, got to his place, it was 100%, 4 hours later i went to bed, woke up in the morning and it was still 92% whereas my e200 wouldve been squeezing every last drop of battery life as if it was in warp drive, a vast improvement over the e200, i didnt want the c500 so i waited, that centre rocker thing looks so naff i was emabrassed to get one so i waited for the 550

got my head round the video size problems of wmv's by instead of using movie maker setting of 140ish kb setting for pocket pc i use 220 ish kb and it plays full screen. im well happy, glad i havent got a stupid rubber bung to lose with this one either :)

remember the new QVGA screen is around twice the number of pixels as previous Smartphones, that power has to come from somewhere

and this also affects game/app speeds as well obviously, more pixels to push around

Guest Pagemakers

But for much of the time the C550's screen is off so I don't see how it is using more power.

Even with it off (standby) it drains battery power faster.

Guest pd.ryder
I'm in the process of getting my first replacement. I don't know if any of you have noticed this problem - the in-call volume keys do absolutely nothing. Either all the way down or all the way up, the volume remains the same. It's fine with messing up the system volume(!) and the handsfree/speakerphone volume, and the 'slider' works. It just won't work with the in-call volume. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Replacement duly arrived and the in-call volume works fine on this one. The battery life seems fine too - I was a bit concerned because the last one was fine and I was kinda expecting 'sods law' to kick in and I'd get a dodgey replacement :)

I don't know about WMP issues with this one yet cus I ain't had chance to test it but I guess it'll be the same as before :D