Accessories for the M500

Guest Behold

Guest pdaxtras

Right got some news on cases for the m500. I have been working with one of my suppliers and have come up with the following options

1. Aluminium hard case, we are making the camera cutouts specifically for the m500 and changing the orientation of the LED status slot to horizontal. Other options for this case would be to delete the screen window.

m500b.jpg

2. Leather Flip case, also the camera holes will be moved.

m500a.jpg

Now the tough part is the cost of re-making the moulds to do this and a min 1000 order qty.

What do you guys think to these cases? Are they going to be worth the investment?

At the moment there doesn't appear to be a m500 specific case on the market so i'm hoping these could be worth while.

Still working on the car holders and cradles

Guest jamesb
Does it matter where the MP3 file is located ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure, but the one I'm using is in a folder I created on my SD card, so I'm guessing it doesnt have to be anywhere specific, such as on the phone memory.

Guest teefaf

pdaxtras... I'm looking for a 'skin'-type case for my M500, like the silicon ones. Preferably leaving the screen and hard button exposed. Also, I'm after a screen protector and a 2.5mm headphone converter. I reckon if you were to bundle these together in a deal, you'd make a fair few sales. But that's just my opinion!

There are loads of skins around for the XDA II mini/i-mate JAM, but apparently these don't fit the M500.

As for the cases you're shown - neither are really doing anything for me. Aluminium cases are just too bulky and clumsy, and I find leather cases too bulky as well (hence my preference for skins).

I'd probably be interested in a dock/cradle as well, but only if it was at a decent price!

Guest Xenzo1990
I have the unfortunate pleasure of being able to confirm that Mobymemory's own-brand 2GB SD cards do NOT work with the M500.  I'm currently in the process of sending it back in order to get one that works.  :roll:

That said, the Spectec WiFi card (the one that only sticks out a couple of mm or so) is superb and works easily and simply straight out the box (after running the CD on the PC and then syncing the phone).  It's gonna take me a while to remember what security I've set on my router at home, so in the meantime can confirm it connects to next door's (unsecured) router really easily!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was looking to get a 512mb one from mobymemory, do you think that would have the same problems?

Guest Disco Stu
I was looking to get a 512mb one from mobymemory, do you think that would have the same problems?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MobyMemory do state that their own-brand 512mb card is compatible with this device, whereas it is not listed for the 2gb card.

http://www.mobymemory.com/HiSpeed_SD_Memory_Cards.asp

Why this should be is beyond me but they seem to be pretty good with replacements and the super-fast delivery.

Guest pdaxtras
According to Dade's review there is no SD card supplied by Orange in the box.

Stingy gits  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tis true, no card has come with mine.

With how cheap big SD cards have become, its no skin off my nose to not have another 8mb card to throw in the bin :)

Guest Disco Stu

I was actually quite pleased that my stock of full-size SD cards had a new lease of life when I bought my Jam.

Then again, you will always want the next size up from the one you're using. I'm shocked at how quickly my 2gig card has been filled up with music etc :shock:

Guest pdaxtras

First samples of a skin case are in. At the moment these are still being produced from JAM moulds but they have altered the outside profile so it fits.

I'm very impressed with this case, all the cutouts work perfectly and as a bonus the hole for the JAM reflector allows the m500 speaker through.

I'm now trying to decide if its worth getting them to alter any other cutouts as they all seem to work great.

Opinions would be welcome.

post-139034-1122849674_thumb.jpg

post-139034-1122849699_thumb.jpg

post-139034-1122849732_thumb.jpg

post-139034-1122849752_thumb.jpg

Guest Behold
I've got one of these car holders for my imate-jam.

http://www.pdamods.com/tomtom_car_kits.htm

It seems to work quite well... presuming that the USB port is in the same place, and the rubber flaps are not too thick, it may fit, as there's a gap, probably about 3mm to 4mm below the phone...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem i found trying a car cradle recently is the M500 is fractionally thinker and more square and most car cradels seem to be a perfect wrap around for the i-mate's this means the phone doesn't fit.

Other wise the holes are in the same place. just the stupid rubber flap is in the way.

Guest Behold

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got my 1gb moby card on saturday and it works perfectly.

the 2gb is not compatable but if you all want size wait a short while 4gb is due out soon!!!!

Guest uzi_999

@pdaextras - with regaurds to your pictures...first pic (front) is fine, but can the hole around the d-pad be made slightly more rounder, and the slight indent(or outdent) on the case be made more square to accomodate for the squareness of the grn/red/contcts/clndr buttons..

2nd pic (rear of m500) is fine, but is it possible two have two holes on the right hand side - one for camera and one for the self-portrait mirror, and on the left can the speaker-hole (as it is now) be reshaped to the actual speaker, or if u want to be more exact and professional, may there be little holes instead of a big one..

bottom - perfect

top - almost perfect..

sorry for being too fussy with the perfection of this design, but i believe that if it is perfect, then everyone would prefer it and not mind paying more to protect a lovely device, rather than relying on some second grade one which wont even fit properly..

but one question.. how does the case slide on... through the gap made for the screen?

and another thing - this case is ideal for me - with all the suggestions and with a sort of package - eg, this + a screen protector etc - how much will it cost???

(just my few pennies!!)

Guest Behold
@pdaextras - with regaurds to your pictures...first pic (front) is fine, but can the hole around the d-pad be made slightly more rounder, and the slight indent(or outdent) on the case be made more square to accomodate for the squareness of the grn/red/contcts/clndr buttons..

2nd pic (rear of m500) is fine, but is it possible two have two holes on the right hand side - one for camera and one for the self-portrait mirror, and on the left can the speaker-hole (as it is now) be reshaped to the actual speaker, or if u want to be more exact and professional, may there be little holes instead of a big one..

bottom - perfect

top - almost perfect..

sorry for being too fussy with the perfection of this design, but i believe that if it is perfect, then everyone would prefer it and not mind paying more to protect a lovely device, rather than relying on some second grade one which wont even fit properly..

but one question.. how does the case slide on... through the gap made for the screen?

and another thing - this case is ideal for me - with all the suggestions and with a sort of package - eg, this + a screen protector etc - how much will it cost???

(just my few pennies!!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree some of this needs changing. the front buttons who adjusting and then the top hole smaller as its a huge gaping hole for a small card.

Whats the side like for the buttons????

and the rear speaker will need cutting so not to muffle the sound. a arrow shape whole would be cool and yes a doble hole by camera and some might need a hole for external ariel.

also can you get it made in true clear???

Guest pdaxtras
I agree some of this needs changing. the front buttons who adjusting and then the top hole smaller as its a huge gaping hole for a small card.

Whats the side like for the buttons????

and the rear speaker will need cutting so not to muffle the sound. a arrow shape whole would be cool and yes a doble hole by camera and some might need a hole for external ariel.

also can you get it made in true clear???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all the constructive comments guys, much appreciated. I'm going away for a weeks holiday tommorow, but i'll pick this up with the manufacturers when I get back. I'm sure that we can get the modifications sorted, it will take a bit of time though..

The round fixing you can see is for a removable belt clip.

As for colours then I think pretty much anything goes.

See ya'll in a weeks time 8)

Guest dan13l

I emailed Proporta earlier to see if they were developing anything:

Thanks for your mail.

It is difficult to give you any kind of solid dates at this stage. Those products are currently in the early stages of development. Typically development takes between six and eight weeks. I have made a note of your comments and have kept your email address on file so that we can contact you as and when they become available. We'll direct you to the website for images and your opportunity to pre-order.

Just wangled a free upgrade to the M500 from orange. Are there any confirmed working 2gig SD cards for the phone? And is the Ultra SD card worth the extra dollars?

Guest jamesb
SanDisk Ultra II 2gig SD working fine in my Jam.

Get it from MobyMemory or my favourite Ebay shop :

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/UK-MEMORY-SUPPLIER

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was spending thge payrise I got today in Amazon, so I bought the 1gig version as the price wasnt too much different to mobymemory. I must admit, I was tempted by the 2gig, if only to boast about how many movies I have on my phone, but somehow (probably the massive bill I'm still paying off from 2 months ago to get my motor through its MOT) I managed to resist! ;)