C550 Battery life very poor

Guest toon9

Guest Killua110

no im using the battery monitor on this site. Hey its been 1 hr since the last charge and its 83% but i think its staying there solidly.

but can all of u charge up to 100%?

;_; come back its 80%. Hey cana ny of u answer me... is this bad? is this happening on your c550?

Edited by Killua110

Guest ajb3000

I can charge to 100%, but that I think the phone is very innacurate in reporting the battery level, and as far as I'm aware the battery monitor on this site relies on the phones reporting.

My phone was on 33%, I switched it off then straight back on again and it reported 40%, a major bug I think.

Guest Killua110

well the bar went to 3 after 2 hrs which tells me comparing it with all your spvc550s mines faulty i guess.

So i phoned onestophponeshop and they said they will send a new headset and would pick up my faulty spv so thats pretty helpful coming the next day.

*Crosses fingers* hope this one isnt faulty or any other problems... otherwise a 3rd headset is needed...

Guest hotphil
So i phoned onestophponeshop and they said they will send a new headset and would pick up my faulty spv so thats pretty helpful coming the next day.

LOL, Good luck. I'm still waiting for the Bluetooth headset from them that I ordered with the phone 3 weeks ago! They have a habit of telling you whatever will get you off the phone the quickest, even when if it completely contradicts an email they sent you or common sense.

I do hope that they sort your problem out though, I just wouldn't hold your breath.

Guest Killua110

Oh boy!!! it really!....didnt come....

damnit they said it would arrive on saturday between 9am to 6pm nothing showed up...

i sent an email but i doubt that will ever be answere i sent few emails b4 not one was replied...

I gues sill have to phone them on monday...

Guest beersoft

ok, as im the self appointed battery expert, i thought i would have a look at this

if you have the screen timeout set to never, the battery sucks donkeyballs

if you have it turned off you get (going from a random version of my award nominated battery monitor) 10% less standby than the c500 and 1% more 'in use' time (calls/gprs/backlight on/doing stuff)

im taking this from the 4 hours i've been running the app for, which includes showing it off down the pub (started at 74% currently at 68%, and i didn't charge it last night either:P)

so, a quick suming up, the screen will kill the battery, so have the screen timeout the same as the backlight time out and start enjoying the phone

later

Owen

Guest beersoft

dude, have you been drinking more than me again? :)

with the backlight off, you cant see the screen, so why not turn the screen of at the same time?????!!!!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

/me gets back to drinking vodka and coke

later

Owen

Guest Pagemakers

. . . . You can on the C500 and the battery still lasts for days.

Personally I think somebody made a boo boo.

Enjoy the drink and have one for me!

Guest beersoft

ok, did some quick and dirty tests on this

you can almost, just about, if you have the screen and lighting at the right angle see whats on the screen with the backlight off

the difference between the c550 and the c500 is: the c500 screen is polarised verticly and the c550 screen is horizontaly, this is on viewing angle (the 550 colours look good from most side angles, the c500 looks good from top to bottom)

to my eyes, the c550 screen has blueyer whites, to a pinkyer white on the c500, and a greenyer screen on the e100 (my e200 needs a charge and im lazy) but that might all be due to age of tft or some such nonsense

and smack my ass and call me sally if im wrong, but dont all tft/colour lcd screens suck if they dont have the back/front/side lighting on?

later

Owen

Guest ajb3000

Does anyone elses C550 run down to 50% really slowly, then drop from 50% to 0% in a matter of hours?

If (as I fear), this is just me, what's the procedure for getting a replacement when I've only had the phone for a week and have no insurance?

Guest Gears

Like I said to someone in response to an email today. It looks like this phone was produced and then some top execs suddenly had an emergency meeting...

"s*** - this new bigger screen is sucking the feck out of the battery"

"What are we gonna do about it?"

"I tell you what we'll do, if anyone sets the screen to "never" on the time out, we'll just drop it down to like 1% contrast to save the battery"

"Great idea, it's too late to do anything else - roll with it!"

Does anyone elses C550 run down to 50% really slowly, then drop from 50% to 0% in a matter of hours?

If (as I fear), this is just me, what's the procedure for getting a replacement when I've only had the phone for a week and have no insurance?

Guest ajb3000

It takes 2 days to run down to 50% with light use, and then drops to 0% in about 4 hours on standby, or about 10 minutes in-call.

Guest toon9
Like I said to someone in response to an email today. It looks like this phone was produced and then some top execs suddenly had an emergency meeting...

"s*** - this new bigger screen is sucking the feck out of the battery"

"What are we gonna do about it?"

"I tell you what we'll do, if anyone sets the screen to "never" on the time out, we'll just drop it down to like 1% contrast to save the battery"

"Great idea, it's too late to do anything else - roll with it!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like you review of the handset is going to prove an interesting one then "Gears"

Will look out for it on your site.

Guest philtay

Yep, I have to report the same problem as toon9.. Initially charged the battery for 12 hours (nowhere I can see in the manual does it say 16hours) and battery life is absolutely abysmal, can't even make it through an 8 hour day before it gives out, and this is with only 10mins or so of calls and no bluetooth. Have resorted to carrying the trusty C500 with me at all times in case. Coupled with that, the display turns off after 30 seconds no matter what registry setting I tweak, or what I select in the Settings>Power Management option... most annoying. The whole phone feels cheap and nasty compared to the C500 and seems to be slightly warm all the time (anything to do with the poor battery life perhaps?).

I spoke to Orange about this this morning, having only had the phone 7 days, and they remarked that "I should have charged it for 16 hours first". I did not see this mentioned in the manual... "Tough", they said, so I'm now stuck with a phone that's pretty much useless..

Looking through the forums here, I can see that this is not a problem everyone is having, so obviously my experience is an unlucky one, and could possibly be solved by buying a new battery at some point in the future. My gut feeling however is that I'd have rather had a replacement C500 instead. The C550, feels cheap, I suspect is buggy, and even feels slower than the old C500. Avoid unless like me, you absolutely have to upgrade...

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix the battery life problem, I'd of course be keen to know...

This C550 I'm sure has us all confused as hell.

On one hand the screen is absolutely stunning and T9 is better.  On the other hand the keypad is absolutely awful, the screen keeps going so dim you can't read it and the battery seems 30% worse.

Like most people I talk to they still use BOTH phones - old and new.

Roll on the SDA II family.  Same as the 550, but with what looks like a decent keypad.

(Only my opinion of course).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest beersoft

philtay,

im guessing you have turned the screen timeout to the same as the backlight time out?

this i think is the major bug in this handset, you know like the

spv classic had its crappy build quality

e100 and its dust magnet

e200 with its pants bluetooth, and the sd card killing the battery bug

c500 gapi, multipress

i would as a last resort, try the full charge then hardreset trick to see if that solves the battery problem, but if the phone is getting warm, its going to be a faulty battery (mine gets a bit warm on charge, but i've only had it since wednday and only charged it 3 times)

later

Owen

Guest philtay

Owen,

Unfortunately both the screen timeout and backlight timeout are at 30secs, so its not that. I find the minute you make a call/listen to music you start losing battery life at an unbelievable rate. I'll try my old C500 battery in the handset to see if it is just a faulty battery and let you know.

From reading all the comments here, I can see that I'm a) not alone in experiencing this problem and :) the "screen off" issue is not what I originally thought. Really, I used to rely so much on the Screen Timeout > Never setting on my old C500, as I'm sure many others did. To have this disappear in this version of the phone is an unnacceptable step backwards in my opinion.

On a wider note, I think most of us in the Smartphone community were kind of forgiving of the faults in the original E100, E200 series phones... we were early adopters and we expected software bugs and hardware niggles as the price of that. What we wanted in return was some sense that things got better with each incarnation of the SPV series, and that seemed to be confirmed when the C500 came out last year. I think this makes it even more dissapointing that the C550 is such a step backwards and has what looks to be pretty fundamental mistakes in the hardware and software. Surely HTC should be past this kind of sloppiness by now? I can't help thinking that anyone testing the C550 who has used a C500 day-in, day-out for the last year wouldn't help but notice these rather obvious shortcomings and rectified them *before* the product got put on the shelves. As it is I kind of feel like a Beta tester, not the satisfied customer I should be.

Would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this...

philtay,

im guessing you have turned the screen timeout to the same as the backlight time out?

this i think is the major bug in this handset, you know like the

spv classic had its crappy build quality

e100 and its dust magnet

e200 with its pants bluetooth, and the sd card killing the battery bug

c500 gapi, multipress

i would as a last resort, try the full charge then hardreset trick to see if that solves the battery problem, but if the phone is getting warm, its going to be a faulty battery (mine gets a bit warm on charge, but i've only had it since wednday and only charged it 3 times)

later

Owen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest beersoft

ohh, come on, you love paying orange to beta test there phones for them :)

after thinking about it for more than 3 seconds, it sounds like your battery is b0rked, and call the b0rked phone line, tell them your testing another battery (but not that its out of a c500, it might upset them) then tell them that it was fine with the other one or crap with both and they should replace the whole kit and kaboodle or the battery depending on what you told them.

my phone was on 60% this morning, and after an hour on the phone moaning at fiat to get tony to fix my car again, mp3's (with betaplayer) on the 40 min drive home and soem random email checking at the office , 9 hours and a rubbish day at work later, its only on 53%.

my settings are screen on 1 min, backlight on 1 min, no bluetooth (as the wife was using the gps today)

i still think its your battery, they should get warm, but not that warm

later

Owen

Guest Gears

Come on lads. Number 1, there is no bug - that screen IS still on. So either we have a battery performance issue that they have attempted to address by dropping the screen to about 1% contrast no matter what you enter OR the new screen just isn't as bright as the old one.

Guest Pagemakers
when u say quickly how much time is that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With "Display Timeout" set to never....about 10-12 hours compared to 4-5 days on the C500.

That quick!

Guest Pagemakers
From reading all the comments here, I can see that I'm a) not alone in experiencing this problem and :) the "screen off" issue is not what I originally thought. Really, I used to rely so much on the Screen Timeout > Never setting on my old C500, as I'm sure many others did. To have this disappear in this version of the phone is an unnacceptable step backwards in my opinion.

On a wider note, I think most of us in the Smartphone community were kind of forgiving of the faults in the original E100, E200 series phones... we were early adopters and we expected software bugs and hardware niggles as the price of that. What we wanted in return was some sense that things got better with each incarnation of the SPV series, and that seemed to be confirmed when the C500 came out last year. I think this makes it even more dissapointing that the C550 is such a step backwards and has what looks to be pretty fundamental mistakes in the hardware and software. Surely HTC should be past this kind of sloppiness by now? I can't help thinking that anyone testing the C550 who has used a C500 day-in, day-out for the last year wouldn't help but notice these rather obvious shortcomings and rectified them *before* the product got put on the shelves. As it is I kind of feel like a Beta tester, not the satisfied customer I should be.

Would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Phil - I agree with your comments 100%

I'm working away from home until next week but I think when I get back I'm going to return my phone and stick with the C500 until something else appears.

For me I think the C550's screen is great and the T9 features are better but apart from that it's far worse than the C500. I hate the awful keypad and the display time-out issue takes the biscuit. Overall I'm thoroughly disappointed with the C550.

Guest Simon Desser

Wow, I knew from what other people are saying that the battery drops very quickly once it gets below about 50%, but I can't believe what I've just seen :?:

I left home at 8.15am and the battery was on 37%. Never touched the phone until I got to work 25 minutes later, took it out and it's 7% :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

And in the time it's taken me to type this reply (2 or 3 minutes) it's dropped to 2% :evil:

Oh, it's just turned off :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

Guest pd.ryder

I'm just not getting these battery issues (he said "disappointedly").

Particularly at the bottom end of the charge level - it took 2 days to go from 35% to 20%.

I think I'll count myself lucky :)

I agree the keypad is a little fiddley and a certain amount of getting-used-to-it is required, but I think it's a small price to pay for getting rid of that hateful rocker from the 500.

Guest ajb3000

Simon, I rang Orange about the below 50% problem and they are replacing the phone for me today, it might be worth you doing the same :)