SmartGPS

Guest Maxrom

Guest Maxrom
Hi Maxrom. I have just removed onpen net 1.2 and 1.3 from my phone. It now does recconnect if it loses the signal. I will do some more testing today and give you the results.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent news ;)

I've been pretty busy this weekend, so I've not had chance to put together a debug app for you, but hopefully I wont need to if you've managed to fix it!

v0.7 now uses v1.4 of the OpenNETCF libraries, so having previous versions installed at the same time could cause problems. If your solution works, I'll add a note in the readme file to suggest people only have the latest version of the OpenNETCF libraries installed. You should only really need the latest version installed, unless you have an application that relys on a specific earlier release. Normally thats not the case though as new OpenNETCF versions should be backwards compatible with previous releases, so just having v1.4 installed should be fine.

Let me know how you get on, and thanks for the update!

Guest dwrist

I have now tried V0.7 and have to report that I still get the same issue that the phone is completely locked up and that I need to remove the battery to get it working again. I can also confirm that tomtom seems to be working fine on my phone and so I am pretty sure it is something in SmartGPS.

Again, I would be willing to run a debug app if this would help.

Thanks !

Guest roma0803
I have now tried V0.7 and have to report that I still get the same issue that the phone is completely locked up and that I need to remove the battery to get it working again.  I can also confirm that tomtom seems to be working fine on my phone and so I am pretty sure it is something in SmartGPS.

Again, I would be willing to run a debug app if this would help.

Thanks !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same issue here as described in a previous post. For comparison reasons I tried GPSTuner and the same problem occurs. TomTom works fine with the GPS receiver, though other GPS software, including SmartGPS, seem to run in to trouble.

My combination is the Motorola MPx220 with the 1.47 ROM (dated 06-2005) and an Adapt Nemerix BT Receiver. At first I thought it might have something to do with the ROM, but I can not find information that confirms that. GPSTuner could not come up with a solution or even a possible cause so far.

Guest Maxrom

Thanks for the update. At the moment, I have no explanation or solution to this problem either :)

It certainly seems to be something to do with the MPx220 and connections with Bluetooth, as I've had no other reports of this kind of lock up on other phones (If anyone has had this problem on anything other than an MPx220, please let me know!).

I'm assuming that TomTom probably use their own in house methods of connecting to GPS devices over Bluetooth, and I would suggest they certainly wouldnt use the OpenNETCF framework, which is where my suspicion is at the moment. I'll have another look on the OpenNETCF forums and see if anyone else has had similar issues with this phone, and whether they have a solution.

Thanks for your patience, and continued updates on this one - I'll do my best to try and get it sorted out!

Edited by Maxrom

Guest roma0803
Thanks for the update. At the moment, I have no explanation or solution to this problem either  :)

It certainly seems to be something to do with the MPx220 and connections with Bluetooth, as I've had no other reports of this kind of lock up on other phones (If anyone has had this problem on anything other than an MPx220, please let me know!).

I'm assuming that TomTom probably use their own in house methods of connecting to GPS devices over Bluetooth, and I would suggest they certainly wouldnt use the OpenNETCF framework, which is where my suspicion is at the moment. I'll have another look on the OpenNETCF forums and see if anyone else has had similar issues with this phone, and whether they have a solution.

Thanks for your patience, and continued updates on this one - I'll do my best to try and get it sorted out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your support!

I'm not shure if the OpenNETCF framework is causing the problems since GPSTuner doesn't require it for the Smartphone version but does have the same issues. I've read back a couple of posts and found out that dwrist is using the same ROM as I recently installed on my MPx220. This makes me think again it is a MPx220 ROM issue. On the other hand, at the GPSTuner forum I've read a report of a C500 user experiencing the exact same problem.

My feeling is it has something to do with the used GPS receivers, though I can not pinpoint where that feeling comes from.

Guest dwrist

As I mentioned in an earlier post, which has been lost somewhere in the middle of the rest of this now very long thread (that'll teach maxrom to offer such good support), I remember reading somewhere that Motorola where the only people who were using the standard Microsoft Bluetooth driver by default, I suspect that this (or something related to this) is the problem. This would not necessarily be a ROM issue (by the way 1.28 fails the same as 1.47), and would more be driver issues. it may be that Tomtom uses it's own driver and hence avoids the issue (wild conjecture).

I'm happy to wait and see whether a resolution can be found.....

Thanks!

Guest Maxrom
As I mentioned in an earlier post, which has been lost somewhere in the middle of the rest of this now very long thread (that'll teach maxrom to offer such good support), I remember reading somewhere that Motorola where the only people who were using the standard Microsoft Bluetooth driver by default, I suspect that this (or something related to this) is the problem.  This would not necessarily be a ROM issue (by the way 1.28 fails the same as 1.47), and would more be driver issues.  it may be that Tomtom uses it's own driver and hence avoids the issue (wild conjecture).

I'm happy to wait and see whether a resolution can be found.....

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whilst I cant say for definate, I think you're correct here - I've not been able to turn up anything so far that might solve this, but I havent given up yet! As you suggest, I agree that Tomtom probably have their own way of accessing Bluetooth devices for one reason or another, so that may be why they arent affected by this.

I dont suppose there's anyway of changing that driver is there?

Great app!

Would it be possible to add an alarm to go off when exceeding a predefined speed?

Thanks,

Alessandro

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your comments! :)

This feature is likely to be included in the Pro version of SmartGPS. No definate release dates yet, but check out smartphone.maxrom.com for updates when I have them.

Edited by Maxrom

Guest roma0803
Whilst I cant say for definate, I think you're correct here - I've not been able to turn up anything so far that might solve this, but I havent given up yet! As you suggest, I agree that Tomtom probably have their own way of accessing Bluetooth devices for one reason or another, so that may be why they arent affected by this.

I dont suppose there's anyway of changing that driver is there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The driver issue makes sense. Motorola doesn't have any options to configure the one COM port (COM6). It seems that, as soon as TomTom is installed on the phone, no other GPS tool works with it. I read a lot of questions of users on the Net about a way to enable theire Motorola to use other GPS software, no solutions though :)

SmartGPS v1.0 is now available to download from smartphone.maxrom.com !

This is the first 'stable' release following the previous 0.x test versions. Whilst there is still an ongoing issue on some MPx220 devices, after much testing, the software is now in a fairly stable state. I've therefore done some minor tweaks to the Bluetooth code to try and minimise further any issues that some are having, and upgraded the version to v1.0

Thanks to everyone here who has provided feedback, and been willing to test SmartGPS so far. Please help yourself to the latest version from smartphone.maxrom.com :)

Now that this version is pretty much done, I hope to spend a little more time in getting the Pro version complete. Release dates, features and other updates can be found on my site as and when I have them.

Thanks again everyone, and enjoy using v1.0 ! ;)

Edited by Maxrom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest heavylint

Only the Asian mpx220 ROM version(s) have proper Bluetooth/Serial profiles implemented. Any GPS software requiring COM ports be setup for Bluetooth GPS devices will have problems.

MS Pocket Streets 2005 works around the issue and even Co-Pilot LIVE has released a patch to bypass the mpx220 problem.

GPSTuner would lockup on the latest Cingualr ( US ) ROM but on the Asian Rom 3.46 with COM6 setup to be an outgoing bluetooth port it worked perfectly !

BTW, GPSTuner uses .NET

Just quick update regarding a few features that were requested for SmartGPS - whilst these wont be in the standard version, they have made it into the PRO version which will be available very soon :

Thanks for the download,

Is there a way on the next versions to have on the display a compass? It is a bit easier to see it than read it when driving. And it is always a good way to check your general direction when on the way somewhere.

Thanks again for the application!!  :exclaim:  :idea:  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is now included in SmartGPS PRO, and also allows you to create waypoints. The compass will show your current heading, North, and the heading you need to follow to reach your waypoint. Distance to your waypoint is also displayed. The compass can be configured to lock either your waypoint, North or your current heading to the top of the compass display!

Any other details (or rumours) of what might be in the pro version, I would be very interested if it included Safety Camera detection as Pauls[MVP] CamerAware seems to have been forgotten about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The PRO version now features POI notifications, and if you're in the UK, you'll be pleased to know that you can use the UK Speed Camera database provided by PocketGPS World without modification. POI's are stored in a simple .csv format, and multiple POI files are supported at once. You can also configure your own POI notification sounds, and have a unique sound per POI file if you wish!

In addition, the PRO version features full GPS logging and day/night colour schemes.

For more details about the PRO version of SmartGPS, please visit http://smartphone.maxrom.com

:(

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi there, I mentioned a while ago about using a bitmap and defining opposite coordinates and using this as a form of moving map.

At the moment there is absolutely nothing on the SmartPhone for European users to provide 'Off Road' navigation. There is a product in the states called Outdoor Navigator but they only have US maps.

Its relatively easy to scan or download ordinance survey maps from the web so we could use one of these, specify the coordinates for opposing corners and hey presto walkers, mountain bikers, off road'ers, etc can all take benefit from this.

• 1 month later...
Guest IPMoody
Hi there, I mentioned a while ago about using a bitmap and defining opposite coordinates and using this as a form of moving map.

At the moment there is absolutely nothing on the SmartPhone for European users to provide 'Off Road' navigation. There is a product in the states called Outdoor Navigator but they only have US maps.

Its relatively easy to scan or download ordinance survey maps from the web so we could use one of these, specify the coordinates for opposing corners and hey presto walkers, mountain bikers, off road'ers, etc can all take benefit from this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've downloaded Outdoor Navigator (for a trial period) but cannot see any obvious way to import other maps. I've have OS mapping software, so producing maps in bmp/gif/tif etc is not a problem, outputting to .ONM format is! I'm presuming that the 'defining opposite coordinates' part is done on the phone part of the application, as the PC part seems simply to be a map loader.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest C++ Developer

Installing the SMARTGPS.EXE into my SPV C550 and running it seems to put the mpbile into a loop of sorts. The SMARTGPS_README.TXT file supplied says to make sure OpenNetCF is installed, but how would I check that? And if it were not there is a CAB file supplied which presumaly will install the OpenNetCF, but what do I do with that CAB file?

Installing the SMARTGPS.EXE into my SPV C550 and running it seems to put the mpbile into a loop of sorts. The SMARTGPS_README.TXT file supplied says to make sure OpenNetCF is installed, but how would I check that? And if it were not there is a CAB file supplied which presumaly will install the OpenNetCF, but what do I do with that CAB file?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

You can check to see if you have the OpenNETCF libraries installed by going to Start - > Settings -> More -> Remove programs. If it's listed in there, you have it installed. If not, then you need to copy the CAB file to your phone, and then using file explorer on your phone, select and run it. It will then ask where you want to install to - ensure you select Phone and NOT a memory card, and then that should be it. SmartGPS should then start up normally. Hope that helps :)

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.