DrBlowGVC500

Guest drblow

[1136]_1136_c500_2000_screenshots1.JPG

File Name :: DrBlowGVC500

Author :: drblow

Category :: Other

Description ::

Here is a C500 version of my GV theme. It works in exactly the same way as the C550 version, only smaller! 8)

You will require facade, smartmonitor & RJ time plugins - see the GVcC550 thread for download locations.

I have also included an xml layout for other non-orange phones (DrBlowGV2000.home.xml), that doesn't use the orange plugin, so it should work on all phones.

Again, the screen is just stored here in zip format, so just unzip & copy the xml & folder into your home folder & then select the screen from your settings menu. Any problems, let me know.

Enjoy! :)

View File

Guest hesquire

Here is a C500 version of my GV theme.  It works in exactly the same way as the C550 version, only smaller!  8)

You will require facade, smartmonitor & RJ time plugins - see the GVcC550 thread for download locations.

I have also included an xml layout for other non-orange phones (DrBlowGV2000.home.xml), that doesn't use the orange plugin, so it should work on all phones.

Again, the screen is just stored here in zip format, so just unzip & copy the xml & folder into your home folder & then select the screen from your settings menu.  Any problems, let me know.

Enjoy!  :)

View File

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Installed on SMT5600 cingular phone and cant get it to run properly. Some time it loads and others I get error saying no homescreen.

Your instructions say to copy xml and folder, but the zip file contains all individual files and no "folder".

Thanks

Guest drblow
Installed on SMT5600 cingular phone and cant get it to run properly.  Some time it loads and others I get error saying no homescreen.

Your instructions say to copy xml and folder, but the zip file contains all individual files and no "folder".

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strange! When I download the zip file from here it contains 2 xml files & 1 folder of images! :shock:

Can you give me as much detail as possible about the error?

Guest hesquire
Strange!  When I download the zip file from here it contains 2 xml files & 1 folder of images!  :shock:

Can you give me as much detail as possible about the error?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My bad. I was using winzip interface which gave me all files in one directory. I will re-try with seprate folder and see what happens.

Edited by hesquire

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smellati

Dr blow I love your skins!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the first time, I'm able to use one of them.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssseeeee make more non-orange homescreens. Oh and I love the fact that there is no plugin that you have to buy. I have a smt5600 on cingular service and it works great for me.

Once again, pretty please make more non-orange homescreens, with no plugins to buy.

You are a freakin artist!!! :) ;) :(

Guest stlevy

Hey there... love the homescreen and would love to get this thing to work. I installed all three plugins you mentioned (RJTime, SmartMonitor, and Facade) and those seemed to install without a hitch.

Problem I'm having is the interactive part of the screen (from the date and time... to the quick launch buttons) seems shifted up to the top of the screen... so it's out of alignment with the background graphic.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Guest drblow

@stlevy - From your profile I can see you have a smt phone. If you have a non orange phone then you need to use the GV2000 xml file as stated in the first post.

@smaellati - :) Cheers! I always try to do a version for non-orange phones.

Guest stlevy

That worked great! Thanks! I'm a "phone customizing noob" I would say so understanding the difference between "Orange", "CV500", "SMT5600", "Typhoon", yadda, yadda, yadda... is a nightmare.

:)

I actually have one question/request if it's possible. Is there any way to add a "Missed Call" screen or icon? The only thing that happens when I miss a call is I see the Call History option above the right softkey. This is almost a deal breaker for me.

Other than that one request... I LOVE THIS SCREEN!!! Great job!!!

Edited by stlevy

Guest drblow

;) Thanks, and glad thats working for you. As for missed calls ... you could have a go at adding a missed calls screen. Find an xml layout that has one & just copy the code into your xml file. I can help you do that if you want & I can post you an image to go with it. :)

Great... would love the help. I really know nothing about editing XML files but am willing to learn. Any help you can provide (and a good image) would be greatly appreciated!!!

While I'm at it... couple of other questions (that are probably obvious to everyone but me ;-))...

The Percentage value to the left of the Carrier Icon on the bottom... I can't figure out what that represents. I thought initially it was signal strength but then I found out it doesn't match the number of signal bars I have on other menus.

Last question... in addition to a missed calls icon (or new image all together)... is there a way for adding a voice mail icon to the home screen as well?

Thanks for being so responsive!

Edited by stlevy

You could add a voice mail plugin certainly. Xl is really a case of re-using code from elsewhere. Find a screen that inlcudes the plugin you need, & then copy the necessary part of the xml. Have a look for the bits you need and try adding them to your xml. The most important thing to remember is the total screen height (200) - if you exceed that the plugins will start to scroll down and will misalign any graphics. If you mess around with homescreens it will soon become obvious what changes effect. Let me know & I can help you create the xml layout you need. Graphics unfortunately is up to you, as it takes alot more to change a complex background image to incorporate something that it does to change an xml file! But I can post a 200 height background for missed calls for this theme coz I have one already. I know it's here somewhere ... :)

You could add a voice mail plugin certainly. Xl is really a case of re-using code from elsewhere. Find a screen that inlcudes the plugin you need, & then copy the necessary part of the xml. Have a look for the bits you need and try adding them to your xml. The most important thing to remember is the total screen height (200) - if you exceed that the plugins will start to scroll down and will misalign any graphics. If you mess around with homescreens it will soon become obvious what changes effect. Let me know & I can help you create the xml layout you need. Graphics unfortunately is up to you, as it takes alot more to change a complex background image to incorporate something that it does to change an xml file! But I can post a 200 height background for missed calls for this theme coz I have one already. I know it's here somewhere ... ;)

The percentage you asked about IS signal strength. Unfortunately smartmonitor is not totally reliable for that, and often the percentage bears little relation to the icon bar, but using it allows me to leave the iconbar off the homescreen which gives me an extra 20 pixels to play with. :)

Thanks again. I was playing with the XML file yesterday and after a little head scratching started to make some sense of it. Actually once you figure out how it lays out... it's not bad at all. I was able to modify the shortcut buttons on the bottom to fit my taste... as well as tweak the color of the "Calendar" and "To Do List" text so they didn't blend with the background when selected.

Next step is for me to find a Missing Calls layout and I'll drop it into the XML. I'll have to figure out how to link an image to the XML... but I'll just follow along and learn as I go.

Thanks again! If you find that image... would be great to have something that matches the homescreen. Love it!

Guest TheSaint318

Here is a C500 version of my GV theme.  It works in exactly the same way as the C550 version, only smaller!  8)

Again, the screen is just stored here in zip format, so just unzip & copy the xml & folder into your home folder & then select the screen from your settings menu.  Any problems, let me know.

Enjoy!  :o

View File

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DrBlow,

Do you know of any errors that can ensue when an Orange application is installed on a non-Orange phone? For instance not being able to execute cab files from my phone. Will Orange cab applications execute on non-Orange devices such as mine, i-mate SP3i?

This past weekend I found your home screen and thought it would be great to have on my phone. It seemed to install ok with a few formatting issues. Then I noticed that I needed some other plugins. I went to install them and I kept getting this error message:

Error Cannot start 'SmartMonitor_SP'. A critical component is either missing or failing do to low memory.

I get the same thing with other cab files.

I think we are having this same discussion in another forum but wanted to make sure I was talking the same DrBlow. Plus I wanted you aware of this issue. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks again.....

I don't really know of any issues. All I know is that the c500 screen uses the orange plugin, which is not available as a download, so you would need an orange ROM to use it. The other plugins are 3rd party. Any issues with them on your device should be addressed to the author of the plugin.

Have you read the threads for the smartmonitor plugin to see if anyone else reported/got a solution to the problem?

Guest TheSaint318
I don't really know of any issues.  All I know is that the c500 screen uses the orange plugin, which is not available as a download, so you would need an orange ROM to use it.  The other plugins are 3rd party.  Any issues with them on your device should be addressed to the author of the plugin.

Have you read the threads for the smartmonitor plugin to see if anyone else reported/got a solution to the problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think my main issue now is that my cab files will not execute. It started off, as being a SmartMoniotor issue because that was the first cab I tried to install that wouldn't. I'll research other threads pertaining to non-executable cab files. If I don’t find any then I will create a new one. Thanks.

DrBlow - I really like the look of your screen and I hope to get it working on my new MPX220, but I am having some issues. I have to tell everyone I am totally new to Smartphone and this Forum so be patient with me please. And making this work may be beyond my skills at this point, but I am going to "give it a go".

I have read through all the threads and I believe I've done everything correctly. Loaded RJTime and Smartmonitor first ("loaded successfully"). I then copied the DRBLOWGV2000 version of the xml file (not the C500 one) into my Home (Screen) folder, with the folder of images as a subfolder in Home. I then selected the DrBlow file from the Home Screen Settings menu.

It did change the screen, however, the positioning of various images on the home screen is totally jumbled and incomplete (the monitoring information is in the middle of the screen not the bottom, there are no icon launchers along the bottom, no top icon dials, no calendar or to-do icon, or appointment information etc). I did trying shutting down the phone and restarting, but to no avail.

I would appreciate anyones help to make this work as I believe the DrBlow Homescreen is AWESOME (nice design sir :o ) and if i can make it work it would certainly make me more efficient. Thanks in advance...

Thanks very much! :o I'm glad you like the screen & also glad to contribute to your efficiency!! :(

I think you have forgotten to install facade?? Try doing that, & let me know if it works.

Thanks DrBlow - got everything working (had a small problem with the background image, but moved it into the home folder, selected it and everything is now great). In reading the thread i thought Facade was only for the orange c500. But once i installed that as you directed - ITS GREAT. Thanks so much for the screen and your help. This smartphone is great - i'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to working through the forum for other improvements I can make.

Thanks again... :( :o :lol:

hi all,

noobie to the forums (not smartphones) making his first post simply to say THANK YOU DRBLOW... After my recent C500 to Qtek rom update I lost the orange homescreen plugin and couldnt find a homescreen I liked, untill I found this... Really top work, mucho apprecio! Keep up the good work...

DRBLOW - Could there be anything orange homescreen esq in the making as I really miss the orange homescrren and as the newest Orange update ROM link doesn't work theres no way for me to go back?

Cheers,

Veef13

Thanks very much veef13, & welcome to modaco! :(

If you mean is there a plugin in the making that would replace the orange plugin then I would have to say no to that. Unfortunately O seem to have lost the will to improve the homescreen. The c550 has nothing new in terms of plugins, and the c500 plugin was a bit of a letdown in terms of customisation - which was disappointing, since the orange shortcuts plugin is effectively the most versatile & functional by a long shot.

However, I reckon that facade by SBSH will become a homescreen force to be reckoned with in the not too distant future. It is still in beta stage, but the developments are moving along fairly quickly, and some of the ideas for the future there sound amazing - battery/system monitors, agenda tabs etc etc. It also is due to feature some amazing customisation capabilities, so I would recommend keeping up to date with that. :o

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jamieg1

i was wondering if it was possible to change the font size of the tasks and calendar text. its a bit small for these eyes. is this a matter of messing with the xml?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.