C550 and GPS in Tomtom 5

Guest nickpma

Guest nickpma

I just have a c550 from orange nl, nice phone

With the reg tweak tomtom is running, but for some reason tomtom doens't see the gps device

The gps device is the holux gr 231

- I added incoming port com6 without security

- Added the holux gr231 device

- Tried adding the com7 outgoing port and tried it without adding the outgoing port

My phone wants to connect with it, but tomtom just won't

In tomtom I select different gps device instead of standard tomtom one

But it just keeps saying no gps device

Anyone else has some tips?

btw:

- it works on my t-mobile sda with same settings

- it's the dutch tomtom so don't know if I translated all the words correctly

Please help

Guest davejerome

Go into bluetooth devices and select the GPS. Rename is to "TomTom Wireless GPS".

This is case sensitive so make sure you do it exactly as above.

Should now work.

Edited by davejerome

Guest Pondrew
Ash,

You set em up; I'll knock em down! :o :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets give him a chance... if his Tom Tom GPS has stopped working at least we can point him to a new one :lol:

Guest davejerome
Lets give him a chance... if his Tom Tom GPS has stopped working at least we can point him to a new one  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do Tom Tom Supply new GPS units? Not something i have seen them advertise

Guest nickpma

Why should I use an original tomtom gps receiver? If I choose to use a holux gps receiver that is ok, isn't it?

So either help me or don't reply... :roll:

Edited by nickpma

Why should I use an original tomtom gps receiver? If I choose to use a holux gps receiver that is ok, isn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've also got a no-std GPS for TomTom and see no reason why others shouldn't help us - if they have time!

I've got a non-brand GPS which pairs fine with my M2000.

Be good to see some helping hands...

Guest awarner [MVP]

The point is why use an inferior GPS device over the TomTom GPS unit? As you can not buy TomTom Mobile for the phone without the TomTom GPS unit.

So back to the original question I asked, does it work ok with the TomTom GPS unit you have?

@ tobys

PPC is another matter, this section is for Smartphones and not PPC devices, and as such mentioning the M2000 is not relevant for this topic.

Guest mortalwombat

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As well as being a free to use resource for the Smartphone community, this forum also tries to maintain high moral and ethical standards... as such, I doubt it is going to pander to tight fisted tw*ts who feel the need to rip off the developers and, in turn, the majority of honest folk who pay for original versions of software.

It is quite clear to anyone that even does the slightest bit of research that the TomTom Mobile 5 software is to be used only with the supplied GPS unit.

The fact that you fail to answer the question posed regarding the performance of the original TomTom GPS unit, (which is, in fact, an astonishingly good unit), only serves to highlight the fact that you are one of the individuals that this website is not going to pander to.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest broeken
I just have a c550 from orange nl, nice phone

With the reg tweak tomtom is running, but for some reason tomtom doens't see the gps device

The gps device is the holux gr 231

- I added incoming port com6 without security

- Added the holux gr231 device

- Tried adding the com7 outgoing port and tried it without adding the outgoing port

My phone wants to connect with it, but tomtom just won't

In tomtom I select different gps device instead of standard tomtom one

But it just keeps saying no gps device

Anyone else has some tips?

btw:

- it works on my t-mobile sda with same settings

- it's the dutch tomtom so don't know if I translated all the words correctly

Please help

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the same problem with my t-mobile sda II and the same receiver, can't find gps. let me know marco @ broeken . nl

• 3 months later...
Guest welshblob

Hi,

I'm using a Qstarz BT-Q880 and it paired ok with the phone but TomTom was coming up with the "No GPS Device" message on the screen. I eventually got it to work by selecting "Other Bluetooth GPS" in the tomtom GPS config (from main menu 5->6->6->6->1="Show GPS Status"-> Configure then select "Other Bluetooth GPS"). I then had to rename the bluetooth pairing as "Other Bluetooth GPS" using that exact case and it works !!!

Hope this helps somebody.

Rob

Guest kh4tri123

Ok guys

Got a SPV C550 phone, Got Tomtom mobile 5 working with it, using the reg tweak.

I also have a BT-77 GPS Receiver and was originally having the same NO GPS DEVICE problem.

This was due to me having a program on the phone titled anygpstweak. I removed this, and retried

Hey the NO GPS DEVICE changed to NO GPS SIGNAL.

I took the GPS Receiver outside, restarted tomtom and hey presto my C550 has tomtom working with my BT-77 Receiver.

Am Happy

Guys having trouble with getting the NO GPS DEVICE problem, go to add/remove programs on your phone and make sure you do not have that program installed, if you do, remove it and then unpair your bluetooth receiver and re do everything again.

• 2 months later...
Guest Wayne877
Hi,

I'm using a Qstarz BT-Q880 and it paired ok with the phone but TomTom was coming up with the "No GPS Device" message on the screen. I eventually got it to work by selecting "Other Bluetooth GPS" in the tomtom GPS config (from main menu 5->6->6->6->1="Show GPS Status"-> Configure then select "Other Bluetooth GPS"). I then had to rename the bluetooth pairing as "Other Bluetooth GPS" using that exact case and it works !!!

Hope this helps somebody.

Rob

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big thanks to Rob cheers mate got my qstsarz GPS receiver working with my c500 thanks to you.

Some of us are ok witrh the original GPS receiver but want the precision that 32 satelite tracking gives you

Cheers Wayne

Guest RufusA
Big thanks to Rob cheers mate got my qstsarz GPS receiver working with my c500 thanks to you.

Some of us are ok witrh the original GPS receiver but want the precision that 32 satelite tracking gives you

Cheers Wayne

Wayne

I'm intrigued - do you find much difference between the QStarz and the Tomtom?

AFAIK there are only 29 satellites in ordit ATM, and probably less than half that number visible in the UK at any one moment. So apart from cold starts having travelled internationally I wouldn't imagine there is much difference between tracking 12, 24 or 32!

The only possible advantage I can see of the RFMD chipset over the Serf Star III, is the supposed quoted sensitivity, but it seems from reviews I've read in practice the Serf Star III is actually better, and RFMD may have been a little creative in their figures.

Personally I haven't experienced an obvious tracking inaccuracy (though have had the odd mapping one). Is this something that you were plagued with a lot which resulted in you feeling the need to pay

Guest Wayne877
Wayne

I'm intrigued - do you find much difference between the QStarz and the Tomtom?

AFAIK there are only 29 satellites in ordit ATM, and probably less than half that number visible in the UK at any one moment. So apart from cold starts having travelled internationally I wouldn't imagine there is much difference between tracking 12, 24 or 32!

The only possible advantage I can see of the RFMD chipset over the Serf Star III, is the supposed quoted sensitivity, but it seems from reviews I've read in practice the Serf Star III is actually better, and RFMD may have been a little creative in their figures.

Personally I haven't experienced an obvious tracking inaccuracy (though have had the odd mapping one). Is this something that you were plagued with a lot which resulted in you feeling the need to pay