Powering the cradle from USB!

Guest PaulOBrien

Now i can charge and sync straight from the cradle.

What's the point of this mod ?

I can charge my phone in the USB sync cradle without doing any mods.

Am I missing something here ?

Guest HelloDave
What's the point of this mod ?

It's so that you can charge your SPV without having the charger plugged into the cradle. Handy if you move the charger around a lot, or if you want to easily charge your SPV in two locations, and it gets rid of that sodding buzzing noise too :) (If you have a quiet PC anyway)!

Has anyone tried the earlier suggestion of using a diode to make the missing link here? It would prevent damage to the USB connection as the diode would only allow current to flow from the PC to the phone and not vice versa.

My worry is though that the voltage drop from the diode (usually 0.7 V if I remember High School physics correctly) ;-) might cause some problems, especially as we are pushing the current boundaries already.

Guest Kallisti

Yey, finally did this to my cradle. It's a relatively easy bit of soldering, the only bugger is that it's unlikely you've got a torx 6 lying around. However, I managed to kludge it with a jewellers set instead (those tiny screwdrivers)

Guest HelloDave

Fair point. The voltage drop accross a silicon diode is about 0.6-0.7v which won't affect the current draw but will mean the voltage going into the SPV will be a bit low, so it might not work. I seem to remember from a lecture a long time ago that a different type of diode (germanium anyone?) had a voltage drop of 0v but I could be totally wrong!

I seem to remember from a lecture a long time ago that a different type of diode (germanium anyone?)
Ah, god bless Google. First link in search:

A diode has a forward voltage drop. That is to say, when current is flowing, the voltage at the anode is always higher than the voltage at the cathode. The actual Forward Voltage Drop varies according to the type of diode. For example:

Silicon diode = 0.7v

Schottky diode = 0.3v

Germanium diode = 0.2v

So the flowery sounding one should be the way to go!

• 3 months later...
Guest Spine

Just to let people know my experiences with this mod:

I am a Systems Engineer in Canada. I had to do this mod to my phone cradle because the charger that my phone came only had the UK (3 flat bladed plug) adapter as well as the 2 pin adapter (that works for sure in switzerland, germany and austria).

Since the charger can handle 110-220v at 50 or 60hz AC input I could have modified the charger to accept a North american style plug but since i could solder surface mount stuff I decided to try the mod.

I WOULDN'T suggest adding a diode at all to the circuit to prevent an accidental charging from both sources at the same time. The reason is this:

My USB port (ASUS mobo, good power suplpy) outputs damn near close to 5.0v . I find that my battery will only charge to 98% when using the USB port as the charging current. I beleive it is because the voltages equalize and prevent any more current flow at 98%. I would like to know what other people are getting, I am willing to bet not 100%. (and yes my battery can charge to 100%, my car charger does this quite well).

Adding a diode will only reduce this potential even further - just think

0.2v over 5v range (assuming 5v full and 0v empty) is 4% so in my case that would mean I would theoretically only hit 94% charged.

My suggestion is to drill a small hole in the side of the cradle and add a SPDT switch, that allows the user to select where the charging current is coming from, either the USB or AC Adapter.

I will post some pictures when I do this mod next time i get some free time.

Cheers!

Mike

Guest fraser

Interesting thoughts, Spine. I think you are right on the voltage determining the ultimate charge capacity, I recall reading something once about chargers actually outputing slightly more voltage than the cell, but I may be wrong. I do know that a car alternator spits out around 13-14V for a 12V battery, but I wouldn't stake my reputation on whether that's why there is an increase, or whether this is relevant to modern rechargable Cells.

Guest Trancedancer

Hi guys and girls...I live in Sweden and would really like to order the cradle you're talking about...do you know if there is a site where I can order one and have it sent here to Sweden? I have Qtek 7070...and haven't found a place to order one here in Sweden yet...

Also I would like to order the keyboard that I see is out for our Smartphones...does anyone know where it's possible to order those?

*HENRIK*

Guest fraser

This topic was about the SPV handset, where you get a base station in the box with it. The mains charger plugs into this, although you can plug it directly into the phone as well. By doing the modification here, you get a spare mains charger that you can use elsewhere.

I'm not sure how relevant it is for your phone though.

Guest eric-

Seems Crazy having to plug additional power into the USB kit to charge the phone so this should be of interest.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=3334453845

Its very tricky to do but is possible what more can you want, I dont know about you guys but I like to have my charger at work and cradle at home and swapping the power every morning was such a pain.

ERiC

Guest siu99spj

Is it just me or does that seem to be a rip-off. Paying £20 to be taught HOW to mod your cradle :shock: . It's sheer lunacy!

At least us guys here at Modaco seem quite happy to share the mods around, keeping the money in our pockets (Until, of course, a new game comes out :wink: )

Guest awarner [MVP]

Welcome to the site eric- ;) even though it was just to post the ad three times.

PS it's not your auction by any chance :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PaulF

Anyone got a working link for the instructions on how to do this ??

Otherwise can anyone post up the instructions on here (as I can't get anything on the links at the beginning of the thread)

Cheers