Orange M5000 / T-Mobile MDA Pro

Guest gbsimpson

Guest London_jonny

I'm thinking about ending my contract with Orange after being with them for about 8 years - Their service seems oin the slide and they are always releasing new phones so much later than everyone else.

Out of interest how does 02 compare?

Guest alaistair

Well I said I'd give an update on Friday!

A box full of new Orange phones arrived at our office today :o

Unfortunately - no M5000s :oops:

They've sent up M2000s to keep us going for the mean time

Pah!

Guest RedDwarf
I'm thinking about ending my contract with Orange after being with them for about 8 years - Their service seems oin the slide and they are always releasing new phones so much later than everyone else.

Out of interest how does 02 compare?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Call me a cynic but I'm somewhat suspicious about the total lack of any mention in their printed/web material of any WiFi capability in Orange's variant of this beast - it's there in the base JasJar and the other three network variants all proudly announce their support of the WiFi capability (and why wouldn't they, it's a significant feature if you want to use the device at home/work where there's no 3G signal but you've got Wireless Broadband?) - and now Orange's release plans seem to be slipping.

When I first saw the lack of mention of WiFi I was deeply suspicious that this was some cynical attempt on their part to force you to use more of their 3G/GPRS bandwidth. Now despite their web site still not mentioning WiFi I was told in the Orange shop I called into the other day that their internal system said it would definitely support WiFi - late breaking news? To me it all smacks of a u-turn when they've seen all their competitors haven't nobbled their version of the device - I told you I was cynical! :(

Cock-up or conspiracy...you choose.

Right now I'm reflecting back to the experience I had at the beginning of the year with Orange's launch of 3G and more specifically the handsets they were providing:

I first got the Sanyo S750, nice little phone, good camera reasonable interface - lousy Bluetooth implementation and very unstable (i.e. always crashing) in poor 3G areas (like where I live!). Orange iniitally disavowed responsibility for any issues with the phone but I persisted.

Eventually they swapped it to one of the alternatives the Sony-Ericsson Z1010. It's a bit of a brick but a very stable machine (though I've seen forum posts that some people have had real issues with them), good Bluetooth implementation (supports a lot of profiles and it's stable) - a few weeks later Orange dropped it! Don't tell me they didn't know that was coming when they swapped it. :lol:

Now we've the ever slipping plans around the M5000 - I think it suits them to be vague around dates because some of us will put off swapping networks in the hope that it's just around the corner - but with various rumours suggesting 'November' and 'in time for Christmas' I'm not holding my breath.

In fact I've decided it's time to vote with my feet so I've ordered an XDA Exec from MobileFun - £37.95 for the device on an O2 250 + 36Mb 3G Data Tariff (£52.04 per mth but I use it for business so it's not so bad).

They've told me it should be with me middle of next week - fingers crossed. I'll post back when/if it arrives. :o

Guest rickyburke

interesting point you raise here, as you may or may not know Orange has taken wifi out of the upcoming C600, whats to say they didn't take it from the m5000, then realise they would have an uncompetitive product, recalled them all and reissued new handets with wifi.

Good post that man!

WiFi - well, I asked the question in the online chat the other day, and Orange assured that it would be there in the M5000- I have to admit though, the ongoing lack of specs is making me somewhat nervous to the point of believe-it-when-I-see-it!

Kind of a shame, all this - I've been with Orange for a significant amount of time myself, and am really starting to question whether I should continue. I guess I'll be making that kind of decision mid-october, when they either release on (their current) schedule or otherwise... :shock:

If they can offer a decently world-beating 3G/Voice tariff to go with it, together with a sane upgrade price, I might be even more persuadable! :o

WiFi - well, I asked the question in the online chat the other day, and Orange assured that it would be there in the M5000- I have to admit though, the ongoing lack of specs is making me somewhat nervous to the point of believe-it-when-I-see-it!

Kind of a shame, all this - I've been with Orange for a significant amount of time myself, and am really starting to question whether I should continue. I guess I'll be making that kind of decision mid-october, when they either release on (their current) schedule or otherwise...  :shock:

If they can offer a decently world-beating 3G/Voice tariff to go with it, together with a sane upgrade price, I might be even more persuadable!  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does Orange not realise the amount of people that are considering leaving! o2 would appear to be finally catching up and playing a better game. It seems that most people on this forum are with Orange and have been for quite some time. But situations like this can be very damaging for a company such as Orange... for well paid business men to consider undertaking the trouble move networks after 10 years, give or take, is a serious, serious issue. If they continue to keep their best customers in the dark and treat them with such little respect, they deserve to start loosing a few customers.

If I were running Orange I would want every single guy (or girl) who has posted here on a decent contract with a phone arriving on a promised date. The combined revenues from a average voice and data plan over 12 must be huge. I know our business bill is always around £200 a month. If they cant do that people will walk.

Guest London_jonny

I totally agree Rhale uk - Orange seem to be pre-occupied with orange wednesdays and putting dodgy branded software on phones that no one wants, They should be concentrating on servicing its best customers. I'm spending over a £100 a month on my bill and between everyone who's posted on this thread its got to be 2k worth of business. I also think alot of it is to do with France telecom trying to rebrand everything they own orange - I'm guessing all of the top bods from the uk are off concentrating their efforts in sorting this out.

Its good to see 02 come up in the contender stakes as well - I see they now have the most subscribers in the UK.

I did read a report on coolsmartphone.com that people were reporting it hitting the systems but the guy at orange didnt seem to think so and just offered me a callback when it comes in stock.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to pull out of a contract after 9 months?

Guest rickyburke

change to the cheapest talk plan, then say you want to buy yourself out of your contract. all you have to pay is the remaining line rental.

Guest RedDwarf

Kind of a shame, all this - I've been with Orange for a significant amount of time myself, and am really starting to question whether I should continue. I guess I'll be making that kind of decision mid-october, when they either release on (their current) schedule or otherwise...  :shock:

If they can offer a decently world-beating 3G/Voice tariff to go with it, together with a sane upgrade price, I might be even more persuadable!  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that's my point.

I don't think WiFi was going to feature originally - that's why all the original publicity material is devoid of any mention of it (it's got to be one of the top half-dozen features on the JasJar so why would you not mention it if it was there?). My belief (and I have no inside knowledge this is just my interpretation of the available information and the workings of the minds of corporate hacks) is that they had it engineered out of their variant in order to drive up 3G/GPRS data revenues.

When they saw it was a feature of all their competitors variants it gave them pause for thought and the delay we are now experiencing is while, as 'rickyburke' suggests, they are recalled and reissued with WiFi . I don't know how big a job that is but it might also explain why the model has also changed it's appearance from silver (as in the publicity shots) to Tungsten Grey (like the base iMate JasJar) which is what I was shown in the Orange shop the other day, i.e. the fastest way to get WiFi enabled Orange M5000's out is to take JasJars and just change the logos applied to the casing...who knows, I just think it's all a little suspicious.

Like I said, cock-up or conspiracy...you choose :(

Guest dazza12
interesting point you raise here, as you may or may not know Orange has taken wifi out of the upcoming C600, whats to say they didn't take it from the m5000, then realise they would have an uncompetitive product, recalled them all and reissued new handets with wifi.

Good post that man!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's going to end up blowing up in their face. Orange have previously stated they don't support WiFi as they don't have their own network or access to one.

France Telecom, who own Orange were recently looking to buy Cable and Wireless, this seems very unlikely now. This would have enabled them to compete directly with BT, as Cable and Wireless operate more on a higher level (large business/coporate/government) than Wanadoo. As these types of customer use WiFi regularly, it is something that France Telecom would have had access to.

It's likely that France Telecom in it's aggressive takeover stance will be looking to snap up a smaller rival, possibly an ISP with it's own WiFi network. If not, it's possible a WiFi hotspot operator may be their next target. France Telecom are looking to become a big name in every communications market, and they are spending heavily (they have a €50bn debt mountain!) in order to do this.

By the time that Wanadoo is rebranded Orange (early next year), it wouldn't suprise me to see them offering their own equivalent of Web&Walk using a WiFi component. Of course, with the UK mobile unit being behind the rest of the group, expect to see some red faces at Orange UK when they realise they had a WiFi enabled smartphone (C600) and chose to offer their configuration without it!

Guest VulakAerr

Just spoke to Orange Premier support. Useless for a release date but they did confirm it will definitely have WiFi. I'd stop worrying unless I spoke to an Orange trainer who told me it was WiFi-less. (New word) :o

Guest rhaleuk

I went to the BullRing today and saw the phone in person for the first time. T-Mobile had it (locked away at least) and Selfridges had the iMate JasJar for a whopping £700! It was really cool seeing it in person after reading about it for the last 12 months. Can't wait for its release on Orange.

Guest whitfa

I went into Orange Bristol Galleries branch yesterday and they had a dummy unit. Looked to be an actual production unit, but with a dummy screen for display purposes. The guy said it was it's actual weight etc. Couldn't be specifc on the release date though.

Just this second got off the phone with customer care - "towards the end of the month" was as specific a date as she could find. Anyone take a guess at the price point?

Been trying to talk to orange about the new m5000, saw t-mobile has it, spoke to orange this morning and they still cannot confirm a date for it!

So just ordered one from t-mobile! Should get tomorrow.

Guest Confucious

Two weeks ago the Orange shop in Brighton said it should be 2 weeks. Saturday the Orange shop in Leeds said it shouild be 2 weeks. It is in their catalogue and they have dummy phones but no pricing details yet.

The T-Mob one is available from Scancom at very good rates - very tempting with 40Mb of data.....

Guest pfsteel

BUY IT NOW!.. I got mine on Saturday and LOVE IT!!!

careful of the network coverage though...With tmobile I don't get a very good 3g (not at all today).. Hoping that gets better though..

If you get the tmobile one then do it online with their website..It gives you a 3 pound a month discount so only 32 per month and 16 for 6months..nice!

P

Guest dazza12

Just had my daily chat with Orange, regarding the M5000.

They now say 'sometime during November'.

They're having a laugh. How can a company the size of Orange, who are supposed to be the No 1 UK network (not bad considering they were the last one to start up), be the last to release this phone?

Not only that, but you'd have thought they would have a fairly rigid release schedule - rather than give random dates out that are always about 2 weeks from the current date. Both O2 and Tmobile have once again shown Orange what good PR is.

If France Telecom's intention was to destroy Orange, they're going the perfect way about it. Why can't Hutchison and France Telecom switch companies - that way FT would have a company they deserve (3), and Orange would be under it's original management again.

They're having a laugh. How can a company the size of Orange, who are supposed to be the No 1 UK network (not bad considering they were the last one to start up), be the last to release this phone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just wish some one anyone that works for Orange would read this forum and they would just relise how many of us are waiting for them to bring the M5000 out and just how many people have left orange to go with either O2 or T-Mobile.

Guest rhaleuk
I just wish some one anyone that works for Orange would read this forum and they would just relise how many of us are waiting for them to bring the M5000 out and just how many people have left orange to go with either O2 or T-Mobile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SECONDED!

Guest dazza12

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's just it - they do. Some of them are fully aware of how much people on here want it, but still give out vague dates and inconsistent information.

Anybody would think Orange were French. Hang on a minute.........

Guest London_jonny

Well orange finally lost my business after 8 years spending about £90 a month on average.

I looked at moving to 02 and T mobile and after weighing up the costs and the customer service I went with T mobile with 9 months half price line rental!! so im paying £25 a month for 400 minutes, 200 texts, and 40 mb of data.

Edited by London_jonny

Guest pfsteel

Nice one.. I was always a fan of Orange (not so much O2 though). The customer service in the O2 shops has always been bad in Milton Keynes although the Orange shop was great. All these lies, lies and damn lies were getting me down.

I was really impressed with t-mobiles customer service.

You know that Orange couldn't give me my pac number because they have two systems (one called Merlin) and they weren't in sync so they told me I'd have to get a new number!! Nice one Orange!

Oh well..T-mobile have been great to me so far..all of one week LOL

P