Volume Problems.

Guest PaulT

Guest a.greig
Hey guys orange replied!!!

yeh so after stating 3 times that there is definetly a newer rom installed on these newly bought phones and showing them the rom update figures i got this very useful reply

aw its nice that orange put so much effort into reading my email, of course there isnt any software updates, that is why people have newer roms, oh yes that is how it works???????

any way guys do not be disgruntled i will persist and orange will be expecting another email from me and i will be much more clear this time and repeat things many many times till they get it into there heads that there is CLEARLY a rom update.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they know there is a new version. What they have said in reply to you is that they haver no updates available. The key word here being "available". Until they make it available the statement is true.

but then i realised i should have just emailed it [email protected]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoosh! My comment was in view of the support person's "useful" reply. Why is it that CSR's NEVER read anything you put in email?

Hopefully that last email will bounce, because anyone using that address would have to be a right Charlie woudn't they? :)

BTW - yes I was being a little jovial with my comments re spelling, although I was alluding to a serious point. From my experience of handling complaints on both sides of the fence, it can make a real difference. It's all too easy to forget that a complaint sent by email is a written communication which is treated just the same as a letter by most organisations. To get a response of any worth your case will have to be escalated and your mail circulated to other people within Orange. They don't know you from Adam so will assess your character, standing and intelligence solely on what you have written. Basic errors and obvious lack of spell checking will just undermine your credibility. As un-PC as that may seem, it's simply human nature. They will always provide you with the minimum response that is set down by their internal procedures [1]. But a complaint from somebody which appears to be typed in haste, and is full of spelling and grammar mistakes, is bound to get less respect (and therefore action) as it passes up the chain than one that is written in an educated manner.

Having said that, the point you have made and the supporting evidence is irrefutable, so it will be interesting to see how they wriggle out of it. My bet is that as the C550 is an obsolete product, it's not worth them packaging and distributing the new ROM as a DIY update, because of the increased costs from support calls and phone replacements when it goes wrong. Restricting the version to new phones means the ROM is loaded in a controlled environment at the factory so there is a much reduced cost of failure. Which Orange will probably put as "the software is not available".

[1] Of course the best way to ensure you get someone's back up, and therefore receive the absolute minimum of co-operation, is to repeatedly mis-spell the adressee's name. A right Charlee indeed! :D :)

Edited by Metoo

Guest mini_man

ok comment taken, i suppose that fair,

wow they replied!!! but this time i need your help guys!

Dear Sam

Thank you for your mail.

I can advise that when manufacturers release batches of phones, there may be

variations with the software.

When there is a significant difference with the software, the manufacturers

sometimes release a software update which is at their discretion.

Orange have not been issued with a software update for the C550 and I am unable

to confirm if and when an update will be available.

If you are experiencing problems with your phone, it would be advisable to

contact our Data Support Department by ringing 450 from your Orange phone or

07973 100 450 from a landline and a representative will be pleased to help you.

I hope this is of assistance and clarifies the matter.

Kind regards

Sue

Orange Customer Services

Right so please can you guys help, i have got a ton of essays to get done and to be honest im really really not sure what to lead with next.

Like metoo sed please use good english, post it on modaco and i will email them as i have got a refrence number.

Guest pd.ryder

I'm gonna get my contract 550 replaced shortly due to an increasingly dodgy joystick. I've had it since (nearly - I've had it replaced once due to this volume problem) the first day they were out and has the following 'numbers':

Version: 4.21.1088 (Build: 15159.2.6.4)

Radio: 140.299.14_0.11.10

ROM: Operator 8.2.1.10

Manufacturer 1.0.1.12

Microsaft 4.21.15159.0

Language 1.0.1.12

File System 15159.0

Once I receive the new 'un, I'll post it's numbers but I guess they'll match what you guys have already.

Oh, and yes, I've got the volume problem.

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest a.greig
ok comment taken, i suppose that fair,

wow they replied!!! but this time i need your help guys!

Right so please can you guys help, i have got a ton of essays to get done and to be honest im really really not sure what to lead with next.

Like metoo sed please use good english, post it on modaco and i will email them as i have got a refrence number.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would suggest that they may be prepared to upgrade your phone as a one-off or, more likely, swap it for a new ROM C550 given their reply.

Guest mini_man

to be honest i really cant be botherd to take it that far, when it gets stupid maybe but not at this current stage.

ok this where i also need you guys out there again.

I am going to take this battle one step further, i need you guys out there to help me with a rom procedure.

on gpcarreons website there is a procedure called backing up the rom. I need someone out there with the following rom to back up there rom.

(i think i mite be doing rong here according to modaco but sorry moderators, i will attempt to phrase this)

If your rom is

Operator: 8.2.3.8

Manufacturer: 1.0.3.13

Microsoft: 4.21.15159.0

Language: 1.0.3.13

i need you to carry out this procedure

http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=157

I am then going to attach this in an email to orange showing them how easy it is to go ahead to the next step.

so withought saying it i hope you guys understand what i need you to do, ill say it like this, dont post it on modaco (against the rules) but be more suttle.

Thanks for your support

Sam

[email protected]

hint

Guest mini_man

lol i have another reply! its cos i sent it three times

Dear Sam

Thank you for your mail.

All downloads that are released by Orange can be found on the Orange website,

www.orange.co.uk, by selecting the link 'Get help using my phone' on the

homepage. Although newer handsets may be released with different software

versions pre-installed unfortunately there has not been any updates for the SPV

C550 released for download as of yet by Orange.

I hope the above information is of help. If you require any further assistance,

please call our Wirefree Data Services Department on 156 direct from your Orange

phone (07973 100156 from any other phone) if you are a pay monthly customer or

450 (07973 100450) if you are a pay as you go customer, where a representative

will be pleased to assist you in this matter.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Kind regards

David

Orange Customer Services

Guest pd.ryder

ROM: Operator 8.2.1.10

Manufacturer 1.0.1.12

Microsaft 4.21.15159.0

Language 1.0.1.12

File System 15159.0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I've got the replacement. Here's the new numbers:

ROM: Operator 8.2.1.11

Manufacturer 1.0.1.18

Microsaft 4.21.15159.0

Language 1.0.1.18

File System 4.21.15159.0

Minor diferences apparent :)

I've got functional volume at the moment. I plan to install several apps, including TCPMP and Pocket Music, individually to see if any of them cause this volume issue.

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest pd.ryder

Here's an odd one:-

Would those of you with 550's please press and hold your camera shortcut button on RHS on the phone - on my last 550 this action launched the voice notes app but on this one it does jack sh1t.

Let me know..... one way or the other.

I've still got volume control with TCPMP on board. I'll try Pocket Music tomorrow and see how I go with that.

Here's an odd one:-

Would those of you with 550's please press and hold your camera shortcut button on RHS on the phone - on my last 550 this action launched the voice notes app but on this one it does jack sh1t.

Let me know..... one way or the other.

On mine pressing and holding the camera button does nada.

However pressing and holding the volume-Up rocker launches the notes app.

HTH - Rufus.

• 6 months later...
Guest Bokkiej

Is there any fix yet for the sound problem? If my girlfriend calls me, I tend to keep my phone at a distance because otherwise I'd be deaf after a few calls :D

Guest mini_man

Nope orange have practically disowned the C550.

They never released a rom for it.

You could try the SDA II rom? but it will screw up your button mapping a little bit but i think its fixable.