Orange due to release new rom for C500?

Guest jamesyuk

Guest jamesyuk

I've been trying all night to get hold of the Orange UK 4.2.1.1 ROM but the links I have (from this site) to Orange's page just give me a 404 page not found error.

The first part of the link begins: http://www.orange.co.uk/c500patch/

I tried going to this exact address and what do you know, my pc started downloading a file called: TY_ORUK_255115_4212_0328_ship.exe (22.6 Mb in size)

Could it be that they have pulled the 4.2.1.1 rom and are trying out a new 4.2.1.2 rom? I'm not keen to run the upgrade since I have no idea what it would do.

Anybody know where I can get the 4.2.1.1 rom, other than Orange's site? I'm desperate.

i doubt very much orange will be releasing a new ROM reason being because the new SPV devices are here and more to come in November and Jan.

I also asked orange this Q and they said that its unlikely for a new ROM for C500

they keep saying "we test our ROMS before putting it up for official download and make sure that everything is working fine" - I disagree on that statement because of what people have said about the 4.2.1.1 ROM breaking TOMTOM!

the "4.2.1.2" could just be a fix for tomtom if that rom is a "true" rom...

back to your Q:

I have the update on my laptop if you need it? I can transfer it to you by msn if you like? just send me a pm

Edited by Tech

well i just spoke to orange about this... and they are basically saying they dont recommend downloading the "c500patch" link because its "unofficial" - which is true but then most people would complain saying that its on their official website...

i wouldnt download it personally...

Well, I was having a few odd problems with my C500, so I thought what the hell, and downloaded it. The firmware does identify itself as 4.2.1.2 upon running the install app, and it has sucessfully upgraded my C500 now to 4.2.1.2.

I've no idea what it's supposed to fix, but if it's cured my garbled voice problem on some calls, I'll be happy.

I'll run up a few apps, and see if there's anything obvious thats now fixed/broken over 4.2.1.1

The official Orange update can be found on the website under Help & Advice, Your Phone etc.

The exact address starts http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pa...etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol it made the link incorrect

its wierd! I phoned up orange after reading this thread and they said "no"... wtf

i still wouldnt update it until it officially is put up on the help and support page :o

my fav stu man said its available there? but not at this end... still says 4.2.1.1 and the link for that doesnt work...

Edited by Tech

Guest shadamehr

I'm downloading it now too.

From those that have installed it, any ideas or observations as to what's new, different, improved, or worse on this new 'test' rom???

I'm downloading it now too.

From those that have installed it, any ideas or observations as to what's new, different, improved, or worse on this new 'test' rom???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the moment, everything seems to be running fine :( Not found any problems so far. Cant comment on the garbled voice problem I was having with 4.2.1.1 as it's only intermittent, but I'm hoping.

I can confirm FuseSP, Agile Messenger, TCPMP, TT5 Mobile, and Alarm Set are running without problems. Oh, my SmartGPS app is fine too! :o

Lol, I'm still not sure yet what this update is supposed to fix, but if I spot anything, I'll let you know!

Guest Disco Stu
my fav stu man said its available there? but not at this end... still says 4.2.1.1 and the link for that doesnt work...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm...should have checked first :oops:

I doubt that there would be much difference between a ROM named 4.2.1.2 and one named 4.2.1.1 though.

^ agreed

wonder if some nutta put it there for internal testin but put it on the external official site.. lol (coincidence that the original 4.2.1.1 link is dead....)

maybe fixes TOM TOM issue? can someone confirm? (i dont have tomtom)

Edited by Tech

Guest Disco Stu
I've been trying all night to get hold of the Orange UK 4.2.1.1 ROM but the links I have (from this site) to Orange's page just give me a 404 page not found error.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed elsewhere on the Orange website that they are undertaking a major refurbishment.

Guest Griff_FFOC

I hope that it solves two issues I have with the recent rom update.

a) the answer phone number reverting to 654321,

and :o being able to hear 'noise' at the beginning and end of sounds. (i.e. press a key, you then get 'noise, the actual sound, and then noise again". This was never their on my original ROM. You can hear it if you listen closely, and it's terrible when using a headset.

I doubt it will do either of those anyway,

As for it fixing Tom Tom. I can't see that being the case. Tom Tom isn't a Microsoft/Orange program so it would be down to the developer/manufacturer to make sure it works on the new Rom's. Much like when a new version of Windows is released, you can't blame Microsoft if some third party software doesn't work on the new OS.

I hope that it solves two issues I have with the recent rom update.

a) the answer phone number reverting to 654321,

and :o being able to hear 'noise' at the beginning and end of sounds. (i.e. press a key, you then get 'noise, the actual sound, and then noise again".  This was never their on my original ROM. You can hear it if you listen closely, and it's terrible when using a headset.

I doubt it will do either of those anyway,

As for it fixing Tom Tom.  I can't see that being the case.  Tom Tom isn't a Microsoft/Orange program so it would be down to the developer/manufacturer to make sure it works on the new Rom's.  Much like when a new version of Windows is released, you can't blame Microsoft if some third party software doesn't work on the new OS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Downloading 4.2.1.2 see if it fixes any of the problems i have been having

(Random Account switching when trying to download email, backlight staying on after tomtom being used, random lockups etc...)

well i did upgrade to 4.2.1.2

the link on orange website redirects it now to the new ROM... not the actual link but redirects it to c500patch url....

it seems fine, nothing different for now...

well i did upgrade to 4.2.1.2

the link on orange website redirects it now to the new ROM... not the actual link but redirects it to c500patch url....

it seems fine, nothing different for now...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IU've just flashed mine

the answerphone now does default to the correct +447973100123 number

not sure what else changed

Guest Griff_FFOC

Does this new rom say 4.2.1.2 in the About menu, because the Orange "download software updates" web page linking to the file still says 4.2.1.1 (even though it points to the new file).

Does this new rom say 4.2.1.2 in the About menu, because the Orange "download software updates" web page linking to the file still says 4.2.1.1 (even though it points to the new file).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it reports as

Version 4.21.1088 (Build 15045.2.6.0)

Radio Version 1337.0.42_0.03.28

ROM update versions : 4.2.1.2

Manufacturer : 2.5.1.115

File Sytem : 4.21.15045.0

Edited by _Belial