SP5m ActiveSync problems?

Guest roma0803

Guest roma0803

Hi,

I've read some reports that the i-mate SP5(m) has some issues with Activesync (4.x). Can someone confirm this? I can't test it yet since my SP5m arrives in a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

Guest ostrichwatch

I've been a bit unimpressed with AS4 myself. I don't think it's so much the SP5 that is at fault but the AS4 software than WM5 needs.

It doesn't support category filtering anymore, not allowing you to select which categories of contacts and calendar items to synchronise to the phone. So you get the whole lot from both Outlook folders.

Whatever I try I can't seem to get the AS to sync straight to my Exchange server either. Keep getting the 85010014 error which seems to be a common problem.

It's less functional than AS3.x - what were MS thinking?

Arrg! :roll:

Guest Pondrew

@ostrichwatch: It's WM5 that stops category filtering working on Activesync 4. I use Activesync 4.1 with my Windows Mobile 2003 SE devices and the option is still present and works fine. So we can't really blame Activesync itself so much as the peeps responsible for ensuring old features were transferred onto the WM5 Activesync.

Guest roma0803
I've been a bit unimpressed with AS4 myself. I don't think it's so much the SP5 that is at fault but the AS4 software than WM5 needs.

It doesn't support category filtering anymore, not allowing you to select which categories of contacts and calendar items to synchronise to the phone. So you get the whole lot from both Outlook folders.

Whatever I try I can't seem to get the AS to sync straight to my Exchange server either. Keep getting the 85010014 error which seems to be a common problem.

It's less functional than AS3.x - what were MS thinking?

Arrg!  :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know the category thing is a WM5 change. It seems AS4 has a lot less options to sync then AS3.8, just USB and BT sync is possible. Might be the reason you get the error. No remote or WiFi support anymore. You *have* to use AS4 with WM5 thugh, WM5 seems not compatible with AS3.8.

Guest Pagemakers
@ostrichwatch: It's WM5 that stops category filtering working on Activesync 4. I use Activesync 4.1 with my Windows Mobile 2003 SE devices and the option is still present and works fine. So we can't really blame Activesync itself so much as the peeps responsible for ensuring old features were transferred onto the WM5 Activesync.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pondrew -

AS4.0 or 4.1 WILL sync categories with WM2003.

AS4.0 or 4.1 WILL NOT sync categories with WM5

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest roma0803

So far my SP5m will not sync at all (AS v4.1). It keeps telling me it's synchronizing though no data is being transferred. This is going on for ages right now.

Guest roma0803

Tried that, even uninstalled and reinstalled AS. Next step is a hard reset of my phone. Just after my testing my various software on this new device.

Guest Pondrew
Pondrew -

AS4.0 or 4.1 WILL sync categories with WM2003. 

AS4.0 or 4.1 WILL NOT sync categories with WM5

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what I said! ie it's WM5 rather the Activesync 4 that stops category sync working.

Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Guest roma0803

Ok, had to disable my Firewall to enable synchronizing. Almost all workt, except contacts. Have about 1500 contact in Outlook (lot of colleagues) but only about 15 synchronize. Weird. Lets update AS4.0 to AS 4.1.

To be continued...

Edit: Nope, can't seem to sync my contacts. Just a couple of them are copied to the phone, no way to tell why those few are and the rest isn't.... ](*,) :??:

Edited by roma0803

Guest abhayseth
Hi,

I've read some reports that the i-mate SP5(m) has some issues with Activesync (4.x). Can someone confirm this? I can't test it yet since my SP5m arrives in a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been having trouble Syncing SP5m wwith AS 4.0 - it sync's the 1st time & then its just disconnects automatically. You need to keep reconnecting the phone thru USB for it to reactivate & once in ten times it starts working. Problem is the SP5m doesnt get synced with any AS version below 4.0.

I reinstalled it twice - deleted the partnership ten times still problem remains. ](*,)

Where can i find the 4.1 version of AS - maybe that should work........! :idea: ](*,)

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Guest roma0803

Ok, for at least the first sync, you have to disable your firewall. I found out that after that first sync, the firewall can be enabled again.

I had to export all my contacts from Outlook to Excel and import them back again in Outlook to make them sync with my SP5m. All's well now.

My work laptop (XP-Pro SP1) does not sync. "Connecting" is the AS (4.1) message I have and keep. It seems to be that I have to upgrade it to SP2, or that's the only possible solution I've found so far. The Read Me in the AS folder tells me it works with SP1 though...

My SP5m runs like a charm, had to get used to the small buttons and the jog shuttle (is that the correct word?) but it is one great phone. Love the WiFi options and the screenresolution is absolutely great. Soundquality is very good as is the reception. Sweeeet...