ActiveSync 4.1 and beyond

AS 4.1 now works really fine with my Qtek 8300. BTW: Next AS will either be 4.5 or 5.0.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where can we legally get AS 4.1? Does it only come with a new phone? I cannot find a legit download source anywhere.

What do you mean with "legit" ?

Surely M$ hasn't released AS4.1 officially, but it can be found on some developers sites.

As AS is not sold I have absolutely no hesitation in downloading from those sites and using it.

Biggest concern is about getting a virus by dl from unofficial sources.

(I feel the same about firmware.)

As I am not sure how the webmaster thinks about that I won't post any link here.

Just give Google a try or look at Buzzdev.

Where can we legally get AS 4.1?  Does it only come with a new phone?  I cannot find a legit download source anywhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest roma0803

... got me a nice SP5m, great phone! ActiveSync on my desktop at home works fine, though with some problems in the beginning with just 15 of my about 1500 contacts synchronizing. An export to Excel and import again in Outlook solved that problem.

Now I want to synchronize with my XP-Pro laptop at work... No Go. ActiveSync hangs in the "Connecting" window and no wizard to create a partnership (that would be the second on my phone) pops up. Upgraded my laptop illegally to SP2 but it did not solve anything. Using AS4.1 build 4807. No firewall enabled on my laptop. Both online and offline are giving the same result. Did a hard reset of the phone, uninstalled AS fully, including the left rapi.dll in the systemfolder and reinstalled AS, no changes. A new networkconnection is created when connecting the phone by USB and an 169.xxx address is applied, like my desktop at home. Still no AS partnership can be created or a sync can be done....

Suggestions anyone? I really would like to sync my Outlook calendar with my phone ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roma,

I can tell you the following:

I have Windows 2000 at work and I also installed AS 4.1 for the new Qtek 8300.

It works perfect and also the installation went without a problem, actually I had more problems lately with AS 3.8 using my old Qtek 8080 (every now and then I did not get a device connection until the PC was booted up once or even twice).

Of course there is a Virus Scanner installed on all the office PCs and I couldn't turn it off for the installation (and actually I wouldn't be allowed to do this).

Also there are running a lot of service utilities in the background which can't be de-installed (and it is also forbidden to de-install them).

So there are a lot of background tasks on office PCs causing potential problems in an installation.

Anyway I am surprised to hear that you couldn't install AS 4.1 on your private PC at home.

Perhaps you try to de-install (or turn off) your Virus Scanner and especially any software firewall. Also try to plug off "notorious" USB devices such as webcams (had some strange and terrible Bluescreens with very fatal-looking error messages not even allowing me to boot into Protected Mode, just to find that a Logitec USB webcam had caused all that and Bluescreen was gone after unplugging it.)

Another advice:

Upon trying to synchronize with our company Exchange server AS 4.1 seemed to be searching for the server forever without any success.

No idea why but apparently this did not work at all. A perfectly working solution for me was synchronizing to my Outlook installed on the PC !

As the local Outlook installation quasi carries an "image" of your Inbox as well as your Contacts and the Personal Folder - which are physically stored on the Exchange Server in company installation, you get the same effect when synchronizing "just" with your PC.

Try doing that !

Usually you will find some "strange" proxy entries in the connection section of your Smartphone after a successful installation (btw: this was the same on my old Qtek 8080). Just don't care about that as it installs automatically.

Just give it an other try !

... got me a nice SP5m, great phone! ActiveSync on my desktop at home works fine, though with some problems in the beginning with just 15 of my about 1500 contacts synchronizing. An export to Excel and import again in Outlook solved that problem.

Now I want to synchronize with my XP-Pro laptop at work... No Go. ActiveSync hangs in the "Connecting" window and no wizard to create a partnership (that would be the second on my phone) pops up. Upgraded my laptop illegally to SP2 but it did not solve anything. Using AS4.1 build 4807. No firewall enabled on my laptop. Both online and offline are giving the same result. Did a hard reset of the phone, uninstalled AS fully, including the left rapi.dll in the systemfolder and reinstalled AS, no changes. A new networkconnection is created when connecting the phone by USB and an 169.xxx address is applied, like my desktop at home. Still no AS partnership can be created or a sync can be done....

Suggestions anyone? I really would like to sync my Outlook calendar with my phone ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest wingnutLP

Grrr... Microsoft suck!!

Have just got a new SP5 and have tried activesync 3.9 4.0 and 4.1 all installed from scratch without any virus checkers or TCPip port watchers and evry time I try to sync my outlook I get a BSOD and my laptop reboots. Not even freezes, stalls crashes the program just straight BSOD!!!!!

Tried all the work throughs on the Microsoft site but nothing.

Has anyone seen problems this sever with activesynch and WM5 before?

I have managed to get a bluetooth synch working so at least I have my contacts and appointments but the bluetooth is far too slow for uploading music and video to the phone. ;)