bradmatejo

A more U.S.-centric forum?

I've been coming here daily for some time now, and I love the community here. If I need an answer to a Smartphone issue, I know I'll find it here. But does anyone know of an alternative that is U.S. based? I enjoy keeping up with what's going on across the pond, but a forum that focuses more on the issues faced by American Smartphoners would be great. Suggestions?

(I don't mean to imply I'm looking for a forum instead of Modaco, looking for something in addition to Modaco:) )

We are always looking for ways to improve the site and any suggestions are always welcome.

Hey... Maybe us U. S. MaDaCo lurkers should help out around here. It's the best info on the planet for SP.

I like PDAphoneHome for info and help on my SX66 PPC and lots of people too.

Wouldn't a "SP MoDaCo USA Event" would be nice. How about Feb. 2006 at the Howard Johnson, Key Largo? ;)

Just wishing.

ix666

Always welcome for the help and a USA event would rock ;)

Now who's going to organise it and help me with travel?

I'm in Miami, so Key Largo would work for me. ;) Organizing and paying for Awarner to come over will have to be left to some other philanthropist though.

Aww and there was me hoping for a free holiday ;)

It would be worth the trip though wonder how far and wide people would travel.

One of the things with a forum (any forum) is that it's greatest strength is the people that contribute. If nobody posts much US-specific stuff then having a US forum won't help much, will it?

I'd be interested in hearing what's going on over there, so how about getting together with some other US members and posting news/articles about the state of things.

For example... I've never understood why you put up with such big, ugly phones, or how you managed to get unmetered GPRS, or what exactly Thanksgiving is celebrating.

What exactly are we celebrating with Thanksgiving?

;)

Not sure if this makes a difference any more, but could the technology have something to do with the size of a phone? We have a lot of CDMA here. They always seemed like bigger phones.

Unlimited data? Just lucky, I guess!

We plan to improve our US support very soon indeed!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been coming to ModaCo almost everyday for the last year or so. To be quite honest, I have either found the answers in the forums or if Ipost my specific question someone usually answer my question in a couple of hours (e.g. need T-mobile Tzone setting, got directed to correct forum in less than an hour!). So I am not sure what exactly are you planning on improving the US support. Only thing I can think of is some hardware related support..meaning different nomenclature of various phones or may be in certain cases, some hardware only available in USA. I beleive Modaco is an int'l site and so are the majority of the users. For example, I live in USA but have been getting Orange phones from UK. I must be missing the point as lot of fellow Americans do want improved support for US based members. I'll keep an eye on this forum for a better understanding. Just FYI- I just completed the survey send to me via email. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to participate in the survey.

I've personally tried to cater for the North American members too with news items or posts specific to CDMA devices (admittedly only Pocket PC Phone devices but that's what I do!). Will continue to do so in the future too as it'll only help the MoDaCo community grow...

Being a long-time US Modaco member...I don't really see any difference in the information needed for your smartphone, no matter which side of the globe you're on.

The only difference comes when things become carrier specific.

This is a very Orange-Focused site. They did start the Smartphone craze afterall and are one of the first with new models everytime.

It would be nice to have more US Carrier focus in certain areas but I dont think that a US specific section is necessary...unless it is for carrier specific questions only.

SmartphoneThoughts is a bit more focused toward the US....but there is waaaay more information to be found here on Modaco. No offense to SPT, they're great but the membership is limited. (as is US Smartphone usage).

I have offered before and will again. I am available for whatever anyone needs in regard to organizing or gathering US info. If events are planned...I am outside Philadelphia and only 2 hours from NY.

I understand US-specific questions get ignored alot of the time. I get a decent amount of PMs regarding these questions which I almost always try to answer.

But if there is anything anyone needs...please feel free to ask! :)

It would be nice to have more US Carrier focus in certain areas but I dont think that a US specific section is necessary...unless it is for carrier specific questions only.

Agree with you 110%.

I agree with pretty much all things said. The biggest learning curve when i first found this site was figuring out that an Orange C500 was the same as my SMT5600. After that, all was peachy. Although I must admit, some of the themes that are made for the C500 simply don't work on my SMT5600. So, at the very least i would suggest putting up some sort of cross-reference to phones, so that when someone is talking about (for example) problems/suggestions for their C500 phone, then us US'ers will know that it is the same as their SMT5600. Also, more carrier information that is US-specific would be nice. About the only thing i find here are settings for my network (cingular), but no indepth stuff as what seems to be floating around for Orange, for example.

just my 2 cents

Let's face facts.... Americans are incredibly self-centered and any time we [yes... I'm an American] are forced to wade through information that includes a fair share of non-us references we [gross generalization] quickly give up....

It's easier for us to wade through a bunch of Sprint information to find the bits of Cingular or [like me] T-Mobile stuff you're looking for, but as soon as we see Orange... forget it... This forum must be for someone else...

As an American who has traveled extensively for business in Europe and Asia over the last 10-plus years, I see it all the time...

Now... The Yanks who lurk and post here are very likely some of the most open minded Americans going... But if the question is... "How do we attract more Americans to the MoDaCo site"?... I'm afraid the easy answer is... Have a US carrier-only section and make it easy to find...

Many thanks to all the folks who post here... I intend no offence to anyone, including my fellow Americans... I have been amazed at the completeness of information and speed of feedback posting to this site... Thanks!

Best Regards,

Brett

Born: New York City

Favorite Places:

N. America - Homer, Alaska

Europe - Central Austria [or anywhere on the German Autobahn in a BMW]

Asia - coin toss... Hong Kong and Bangkok

Africa - Never been... Egypt is high on my list though

S. America - Costa Rica... [ok... Costa Rica is in Central America... shoot me..]

Australia - Sydney & Wellington [NZ]

Antarctica - Again... never been...

I disagree. Catering to laziness breeds more laziness. We aim to breed educated phone users here. And I also disagree with the generalization of Americans. But I'm sensitive.

Edited by encece

so with the above statements made... I'd say the answer should be, less of an orange and UK focus and more of a world focus so you're not scaring anyone off.

i dunno... it's an interesting idea.

But the thing is, if you had a US carrier section, why not an Aus carrier section for us Aussies? And then of course, an Asian one, and so on.

Modaco is Modaco. It is what it is, i like it, it's UK (right?), I can accept that. As far as I'm concerned it's a place about Windows Mobile phone devices, not about carriers. You don't go to a car enthusiast forum to discuss types of roads. If it was a vote I'd want it to stay as it is.

Edit: Yes, what encece said.

Edited by bennish

Well, I would say that you do discuss different types of roads on a car enthusiast forum. Certainly you do discuss things like different types of tires, gasoline, oil, etc, because these items are part of the experience of using your car. Likewise, the mobile phone carrier you use is part of the experience of using your Windows Mobile device.

To elaborate on my first post, here is an excerpt from a PM conversation I had with one of the moderators shortly after I started this thread:

I've been a Smartphone user for about 2 years, and I've always been envious of the availability of Smartphones in Europe, as well as the pervasiveness of GSM coverage. There aren't a lot of Windows Mobile handsets available here, and they're often expensive.  GSM coverage is still being rolled out and thus is spotty in some places, non-existent in other places, yet very strong in others. Plus, we have Sprint and Verizon who still use CDMA technology and Nextel using iDen to clutter up our cell phone picture. I think the user experiences of American Smartphone users is unique in many ways from those of European users.

When I set out to find some info about a handset I'm interested in or about how to do something on the Smartphone, I do so knowing most of the info I encounter will be from users in the UK and thus may be specific to their networks, ROMs, etc (i.e. might be different from mine). I am very impressed with the knowledge and willingness to share the knowledge I've found in the Modaco community. It would be awesome if there were a section of Modaco where US-applicable info would be the norm rather than the exception.

Here are some of the things I had in mind:

- Coverage of US carriers, their price plans, coverage, customer experiences.

- Coverage of the phones available in the States, including availability from carriers, availability from other sources, issues encountered by users trying to get a Smartphone in our largely Smartphone-less market.

- Coverage of issues relating to the availability of GSM in the US, as well as other network technologies.

- User discussion of all of the above, plus things like getting the best deal on phones from US retailer and e-tailers and the best places to buy/import phones that aren't available from American carriers.

I'm sure there are many more that I haven't thought of yet, or that would come up in discussion.

Some more specific things I've thought of are announcements of changes to US carriers' price plans and news of US releases of new hardware (ie when stuff is coming out). These things are often discussed somewhere here on Modaco, but not on the front page like info about the UK carriers is.

I do agree that for most of the discussion on Modaco your carrier doesn't matter, but there are times when it does. For those times a centralized place to look would be handy.

ok dude, what i meant was you don't talk about *which* highway to use. if i'm in a forum about cars i don't talk about how much better the M1 is than the freeway. Just like I don't come on here to talk about different carriers.

There are plenty of other countries that are undrerepresented and have terrible availability of handsets etc. I don't see the big deal.

One thing I've noticed in this thread, and that might make things easier when people are answering questions etc, is that there are a number of folk who are saying they're in America, but in their member info (shown to the left of their posts) it doesn't mention where they are.

If it did, then people answering their questions might be able to give more relevant information.

Just my ramblings though.

...news of US releases of new hardware (ie when stuff is coming out).  These things are often discussed somewhere here on Modaco, but not on the front page like info about the UK carriers is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I have news specific to North American members I publish it! I have proof! :)

Besides which, last time I checked the News forum was organised so that our Members themselves could submit whatever news items they discover. We WANT to know what news there is from the North American Windows Mobile market!

I have found a lot of answers and help in the MoDaCo smartphone forums in the past as most things will work regardless of where you use your smartphone. What I would like to see is more activity in the Pocket PC forums. If I want to see specific information regarding U.S carriers, or wireless services in general, I will typically go to wirelessadvisor or howardforums. As someone else stated pdaphonehome is a great resource for U.S based carrier devices.

I suppose my conclusion is that this forum is more focused on the devices, not the carriers and I like it that way. The geography of the people using the site will determine the devices that are "talked" about. That will expand as more users come to the site. To attempt to concentrate on both might make the site very cluttered and harder to organize (see howardforums).